• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need new tower speakers

Eric Popper

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had a tower speaker break off and depart the boat on the highway last summer. They both are old and cheap.

I am looking for something economical but I can't seem to figure out what to get.

Are there any recommendations for a set of 2 speakers (reasonably priced) for the tower on my '07 AR230HO?

Also, what size mounts does my boat take?

Thanks,

Eric

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
1 7/8" is the tower size. How are you powering the tower speakers? Do you just want music when hanging out in the water?

Eric Popper

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2 channel Boss CX1250 amp powering the tower speakers.

I want something good, but it's about family time with some tunes, not for volume and attention.

Thanks!

Eric

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
It is really going to depend on how much money you want to spend.....here is a retail article that lists the models they carry:

http://blog.sonicelectronix.com/marine-electronics/best-wakeboard-tower-speakers-2016/

You can go from 200 to 2000 depending on your budget and quality/loudness needs. If you spend over $500 for them, I'd upgrade the boss amp to something cleaner and more powerful that matches them better....and the costs mount up :)

Eric Popper

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks.

Yeah, I am on a budget for this one and just want something that works.

How do I match the watts of the amp to buy the appropriate speakers?

Eric

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If you are on a budget (less than $500 all in), then I'd look at Polks or Quart (never heard anything about the latter).

Polks ($299 pair):
http://www.h2osportswarehouse.com/black-wakeboard-tower-speakers-p/bt-bulsppd225-bk.htm

If you can afford more, then I'd move up to a pair of JL or Wetsounds.

The other alternative is to put in some swim deck speakers if what you seek is sound while floating around the stern. This would be the cheapest route, but more work.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Eric Popper

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I got the JL tower speakers from Crutchfield. As usual, nothing is easy. Here are the problems that I have run into with the installation:

1) Can't get the 6 wire cable to feed through the tower. The cable is quite impressive but only 4 wires are used (two for speaker and two for LED light). My thought is to splice the cable into a smaller 4 wire. This will feed more easily and also allow the speakers to be disconnected for removal if necessary without removing cable from tower.

2) There is little sound coming from the speakers. I was careful to wire the polarity correctly from the amp. One speaker sounds average and the other barely makes sound and hisses. I wonder if my amp is kaput?

We have a Boss amp that was connected to dual tower speakers on both channels and they never sounded great either. I figured that they were old and blown.

Any ideas for testing to find the problem without just buying all new?

Thanks,

Eric