• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New 210 FSH Sport port engine code

JetSetter72

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Took receipt of our new 2020 210 FSH Sport Apt 17. Decided to get out the next day. After about 30 mins out in the Bay decided to come back in the river channel because the water was calmer. Killed the engines and decided to do a little fishing in about 6ft of water. Noticed the boat started drifting to the shallows (2 or 3 ft) and decided to relocate. Considering the area was in a slow speed zone, not too far from where we launched, I decided to use no wake mode but it wasn’t getting the job done, noticed a lot sand or mud kicking up. Increased throttle and eventually made it out. That’s when the shut down engine codes started and I shut them down, called the dealer and told he told me how to clear the codes which worked. From here I coasted to the dock and loaded her up. When flushing the port engine, it took about 30 seconds for the water to start draining, which produced some steam or smoke, which ceased after the water started draining; but caused another shut down engine to come on. Flushed the starboard engine with no issue. Called my dealership and explained what happened again. Mentioned that the port engine didn’t sound as clean running as starboard engine, also mentioned that the mph did not register after coming out of shallow (could have had sand over sensor). I know I could be overstating my issue but new boat jitters I guess. Any idea what’s going on with the port engine? Greatly appreciated!

Sounds like you drifted too close to the bottom and sucked up some sand/silt into the cooling system. The codes it threw were probably overheating codes. I have done this myself (floated up to a shallow dock, loaded a bunch of people, then restarted and had trouble backing out--then the alarms started).

I would make sure I did a good flush and ran her well (in deeper water) soon. If you do that too often, sand and silt can get into the engine, but I don't think one time will hurt too much, especially if you do some good runs soon. I wouldn't let it sit for 4 months before taking her out again.

I agree with @tdonoughue . When we are on shore, I never beach, and are leaving. My wife is always driving. and I will push us out to deeper water then climb up. She will then start up and get us into deeper water. I just never take any chances on hoovering up debris. I am very anal about it though

Sounds like you drifted too close to the bottom and sucked up some sand/silt into the cooling system. The codes it threw were probably overheating codes. I have done this myself (floated up to a shallow dock, loaded a bunch of people, then restarted and had trouble backing out--then the alarms started).

I would make sure I did a good flush and ran her well (in deeper water) soon. If you do that too often, sand and silt can get into the engine, but I don't think one time will hurt too much, especially if you do some good runs soon. I wouldn't let it sit for 4 months before taking her out again.
Thanks for the advice. I flushed her again just to be sure, no warning lights this time and the water was cool out the sides, but we noticed that one of the motors didn’t sound as smooth as the other (almost how a motor sounds when it needs an oil change). I checked the oil and it looked good but I noticed the factory tags still attached to each oil dipsticks. The dealership is supposed to remove these once they ensure the levels are good from the factory but I don’t think they checked them. Long story short I’m taking her in this week for an inspection.

I agree with @tdonoughue . When we are on shore, I never beach, and are leaving. My wife is always driving. and I will push us out to deeper water then climb up. She will then start up and get us into deeper water. I just never take any chances on hoovering up debris. I am very anal about it though
I will heed this advice also, definitely don’t like the idea of sand and mud in the intake. Cycle Springs has been great so far, so I’ll be taking it in for an inspection consisting one of the motors sound off; plus I’m hoping to install a Minn Kota riptide and Garmin. Thanks!

Good that you reflushed. No problem taking it in for them to give a once-over. But I would not let them keep it. Last thing you probably want is any gunk there might be drying into the cooling system... I have been impressed how many times a 'bad' sounding engine turns out to be some little weed or something in the impeller that gets blown out with a few good runs. It may be your bad sound is completely unrelated to your sucking up any goo.

Anyway, particularly if they are close, no harm in having them check.

I did this very same thing last year after beaching in FL. We were at dinner, took a lot longer than expected so the tide had dropped a bit more than anticipated. I pushed her back before firing up the engines, but we were still too shallow. I got codes on both engines, and was in “limp mode”. Shutting down and restarting cleared limp mode, I had good water out of both pissers so I headed back to the ramp. The light stayed on until the 3rd overall restart of the engines. Then, it went away and hasn’t been back since.

Just a follow-up on my shallow water ordeal. Turns out I overreacted, new boat jitters I guess. Boat got a clean bill of health when I took it in. As some of you pointed out a little sand caused the engine codes but flushing them really good cleared it up. Upon inspection they did find sand clogging my mph sensor which explained why that stopped working. Took the boat out last Saturday to the Sunshine Skyway Bridge and she performed like a champ; really impressed with this boat so far. Now I just got to get that gps and trolling motor added and I’ll be all set! Stay safe out there!

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who has encountered this issue. I have 2021 210 FSH and have had several issues with it from the factory. Lost it back to the dealer for almost exactly 1 year right after I got it, during covid, for an exhaust system meltdown from a poor installation at the Yamaha factory. It was warranty covered thankfully but having had a boat most of my life (6), this was my first jet boat and I was not impressed. The exhaust failure was a mystery to the dealer and it languished in their lot for over a month untouched, due to them being overwhelmed and understaffed. It wasn't until I took it to the lake and drove it and opened the engine hatch that it took off and ran like a top. I'm a car guy with several restored classic cars and once they heard what had happened they knew it was exhaust fumes choking out 2 engines. This weekend, my wife and I took it out to our regular lake that is here in Oklahoma. It is fed by the Arkansas River and is very sandy with beaches etc... I always park it nose forward and slightly cocked over with a rear anchor so that we can enter thru the rear swim platform area. The intake is sitting in about 3 foot of water. Boats are going across the lake and swinging our boat over waves at an angle. I suppose sand had been built up thru this washing process on the port intake? When I pushed us out to take off, we were in about 4 feet of water? Both engines fired right up and when I took off the port engine shut down and would not start. When it did, it gave no code but an alarm and a message stating to shut down port engine. The starboard engine was running but was not able to go over 3k RPMS (Limp Mode in the car world). I idled with the one engine for about 2-3 minutes with the alarm silenced. Then I started the port engine with no problem. Shut down the starboard one and restarted with no issues. Alarm is still on/silenced and the boat runs normal back to the dock about 1 mile. I get it home and read this thread. I hook up the flush out with a hose and run both engines separately for about 60 seconds with no issues and no codes? Of course my wife wants to get rid of the boat. lol

Last edited:
Mine was weeds when I drifted in too close to shore while landing a fish and the engines were running.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who has encountered this issue. I have 2021 210 FSH and have had several issues with it from the factory. Lost it back to the dealer for almost exactly 1 year right after I got it, during covid, for an exhaust system meltdown from a poor installation at the Yamaha factory. It was warranty covered thankfully but having had a boat most of my life (6), this was my first jet boat and I was not impressed. The exhaust failure was a mystery to the dealer and it languished in there lot for over a month untouched due to them being overwhelmed and understaffed. It wasn't until I took it to the lake and drove it and opened the engine hatch that it took off and ran like a top. I'm a car guy with several restored classic cars and once they heard what had happened they knew it was exhaust fumes choking out 2 engines. This weekend, my wife and I took it out to our regular lake that is here in Oklahoma. It is fed by the Arkansas River and is very sandy with beaches etc... I always park it nose forward and slightly cocked over with a rear anchor so that we can enter thru the rear swim platform area. The intake is sitting in about 3 foot of water. Boat are going across the lake and swinging our boat over waves and an angle. I suppose sand had been built up thru this washing process on the port intake? When I pushed us out to take off, we were in about 4 feet of water? Both engines fired right up and when I took off the port engine shut down and would not start. When it did, it gave no code but an alarm and message stating to shut down port engine. The starboard engine was running but was not able to go over 3k RPMS (Limp Mode in the car world). I idled with the one engine for about 2-3 minutes with the alarm silenced. Then I started the port engine with no problem. Shut down the starboard one and restarted with no issues. Alarm is still on/silenced and the boat runs normal back to the dock about 1 mile. I get it home and read this thread. I hook up the flush out with a hose and run both engines separately for about 60 seconds with no issues and no codes? Of course my wife wants to get rid of the boat. lol

so other than the dramas how has the boat been?

Back