• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New 210 FSH - taking delivery soon - what to check

Ericd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Excited to be taking delivery of my new 210 FSH Sport. Old line boat dealer recently picked up Yamaha boats, so I’m thinking they may not be aware of some of the pre-delivery quirks. What should I be sure to check before driving off?

Having read a lot of posts I wonder if the anchor locker drain on the 210 is like the older 190’s - not thru hull
Any concerns with the standard trolling motor bracket?

What extra goodies do you suggest - I’m adding a Garmin.
Thanks in advance

JASmith

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Just make sure it has the standard trolling motor bracket, it should come with it... you'll have to decide for yourself weather you want to use it or not.

There is a standard checklist in the FAQ I used.

Things that weren't in there that bit me in the ass were:

The dealer installed 8 gauge wire to the trolling motor, when it should have been 6, and then the TM plug only had HALF the wires connected to it.
The screws in the lid of the battery compartment that hold the gas strut were loose at best - the holes were drilled a size too large for the screws that were inserted so they were barely doing anything. This resulted in my wife getting a concussion when the last screw fell out and a little wind pushed the compartment closed on her head.

I went all Garmin and am very happy with that aspect, but I'd configure things differently than the dealer did, they were crazy busy and imo cutting corners on install quality. If I was to do it all again I'd have them do nothing on the boat except deliver it, and I'd do all the rest myself.

I have dual batteries 24v config for the TM, but will upgrade to 36v lithium eventually - that is one really nice thing about the Force TM.

Frank Marshall

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
You should plan on a day or two of checking the details. I found many hose clamps finger tight. A hose to the live well not connected. The screws holding down the helm cabinets always came lose, so I replaced them with through holes and locking nuts. Just lots of little details to clean up.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Excited to be taking delivery of my new 210 FSH Sport. Old line boat dealer recently picked up Yamaha boats, so I’m thinking they may not be aware of some of the pre-delivery quirks. What should I be sure to check before driving off?

Having read a lot of posts I wonder if the anchor locker drain on the 210 is like the older 190’s - not thru hull
Any concerns with the standard trolling motor bracket?

What extra goodies do you suggest - I’m adding a Garmin.
Thanks in advance
Congrats on getting your new boat!

Before driving off:
-Check the white gel coat inside the boat everywhere for nicks and scratches.
-Check the exterior gel coat for nicks and scratches.
-Check all around the exterior jet pumps.
-Check the engine compartment for any loose wires and or any obvious issues
-Check battery compartment and battery connections.
-Check all switches, and their associated devices for proper function.
-Check inside of the center console compartment, pull the curtain back and visually inspect the back side of the gauges and wiring for any obvious defects.
-Check that the bearing buddies on each wheel are full of grease.
-Pull the access panel located on the clean out tray and inspect the plumbing and such, have small flashlight handy for this.
-Check around the base of the wind screen for nicks and scratches.
-Verify the dealer has checked the oil of the engines, there are tags on the dipsticks that are to be removed by the dealer.
-If possible have the salesman take you out on the boat for a test, be sure and leave enough time to do the engine break in period.

-I’ve not had any issues with the anchor locker drain
- The stock trolling motor bracket works well... except that some have reported it flex’s enough to leave a Mark on the gel coat.

The extra goodies depends on what you are going to use the boat for. My signature line has my add ons, I’m very happy with my hummingbird Solix and Rip Tide Ulterra with I pilot. Also I’d put on a dual bank battery charger like a MinnKota PC 220 and hook that up to the OEM start and house batteries. Once you add a trolling motor you can decide what brand/ type of battery charger you want to install based on your battery choice.

Ericd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Many thanks for the through replies.
Hope it is a good experience - we are excited!

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Many thanks for the through replies.
Hope it is a good experience - we are excited!
Make sure to switch your bow roller out for a stoltz to avoid issues while trailering

Ericd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Today was the day…dealer had boat prepped and in the water. Went for an hour familiarization cruise with Capt G. Gave it a good run and had fun. A relatively new Yamaha dealer, but well-established yatch dealer. They got a kick out of my Capt Oblivious outfit.
Glad I have been learning a lot from fellow owners here, otherwise I don’t think the hour or two with the dealer personnel would have been enough for me to be comfortable. But they were very gracious and said come by or call anytime.
On the water couldn’t find depth reading on screen — evidently not provided (?)
Also found a thru-hull transducer in plastic package. Prep guy didn’t know what it was for? I believe it was for temp/speed???
What I learned - haven’t backed a trailer in years and I need practice! Backing trailer up set surge brakes several times. Was able to insert “key” - but it wouldn’t stay in place - going to read manual.
Didn’t have 100 mile an hour tape (duct), but fellow boater at wash station did and it held the key in place. Calamity averted!
Also not sure trailer is balanced correctly. Will check.
Expected to get a short hose for engine flush…nope, got a small plastic hose end with nipple. No problem works fine. Hope I don’t lose it!
Discovered after leaving trolling motor mount not installed. Hopefully not a problem.
Rear side seat backs don’t latch in place very well, nice seat back, but needs a better latch mechanism.
After cleaning the boat we put the mooring cover on - not the easiest thing to do the first time, but we got it and it looks great.
*** I pointed out the unsightly plugged and taped hole in the center console glove box. They said it was for a knob that screwed in or something…I said that doesn’t seem right at all. Any new owners run into this???

I’m excited to get out on the water again.

Attachments

JASmith

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Backing trailer up set surge brakes several times. Was able to insert “key” - but it wouldn’t stay in place - going to read manual.
Didn’t have 100 mile an hour tape (duct), but fellow boater at wash station did and it held the key in place. Calamity averted!
If your lights are hooked up and you are in reverse the trailer shouldn't be braking.
If you are using something without lights to move the trailer, or disconnecting the lights for some reason... what I have is a fairly strong plastic covered magnet i use to hold the key in place, that has worked very well when I move the boat with my tractor.

JASmith

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
that little silver thing is on my glove box too, never did find out what to do with it. :)

Uman

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
If you gonna dunk it in salt water, the rear trailer electrical system will be very short lived. Replace the rear lights with sealed LED and seal the wire connectors with liquid electrical tape and 3M or Scotch electrical moisture sealant tape (the wire connectors are hidden in the conduit). Also check/add grease in the buddy bearings. I also added a backup video camera on the boat T-top to see rear traffic during tow; display is attached to car rear view mirror.

Maduro

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
If you gonna dunk it in salt water, the rear trailer electrical system will be very short lived. Replace the rear lights with sealed LED and seal the wire connectors with liquid electrical tape and 3M or Scotch electrical moisture sealant tape (the wire connectors are hidden in the conduit). Also check/add grease in the buddy bearings. I also added a backup video camera on the boat T-top to see rear traffic during tow; display is attached to car rear view mirror.
Amen....preach it!

Ericd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
If your lights are hooked up and you are in reverse the trailer shouldn't be braking.
If you are using something without lights to move the trailer, or disconnecting the lights for some reason... what I have is a fairly strong plastic covered magnet i use to hold the key in place, that has worked very well when I move the boat with my tractor.
Had the electrical plugged in. Perhaps it is the four pin on my car - adapter to seven pin.
Magnet sounds great!

Ericd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Read the trailer manual - what a shock!
Seems it is looking for fifth wire wired to reverse to lock out the brakes. Toyota wouldn’t install seven pin when they put on hitch. Now I know! Thanks

Uman

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Installing the trailer lock-out key is a pain and a problem if traffic requires you to backup now.
I have a 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser and Toyota does not make a 7-pin electrical adapter with backup feature.
So I mounted a relay in the FJ tai light compartment. The relay coil is energized by the backup light circuit and the relay contacts energize the trailer backup connector pin.
If you want the relay PN just PM me and I will give you detailed description and part number.
Installation is a half day job.
-Uman

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Today was the day…dealer had boat prepped and in the water. Went for an hour familiarization cruise with Capt G. Gave it a good run and had fun. A relatively new Yamaha dealer, but well-established yatch dealer. They got a kick out of my Capt Oblivious outfit.
Glad I have been learning a lot from fellow owners here, otherwise I don’t think the hour or two with the dealer personnel would have been enough for me to be comfortable. But they were very gracious and said come by or call anytime.
On the water couldn’t find depth reading on screen — evidently not provided (?)
Also found a thru-hull transducer in plastic package. Prep guy didn’t know what it was for? I believe it was for temp/speed???
What I learned - haven’t backed a trailer in years and I need practice! Backing trailer up set surge brakes several times. Was able to insert “key” - but it wouldn’t stay in place - going to read manual.
Also not sure trailer is balanced correctly. Will check.
Expected to get a short hose for engine flush…nope, got a small plastic hose end with nipple. No problem works fine. Hope I don’t lose it!
Discovered after leaving trolling motor mount not installed. Hopefully not a problem.
Rear side seat backs don’t latch in place very well, nice seat back, but needs a better latch mechanism.
After cleaning the boat we put the mooring cover on - not the easiest thing to do the first time, but we got it and it looks great.
*** I pointed out the unsightly plugged and taped hole in the center console glove box. They said it was for a knob that screwed in or something…I said that doesn’t seem right at all. Any new owners run into this???

I’m excited to get out on the water again.
Congrats on the new ride!

Noticed in the one pic with you at the helm, the boat is listing to port. If you have not figured it out yet that is because the live well is empty. If you fill the live well the boat will sit perfectly level.

Ericd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Definitely is listing. Appreciate your observation and suggestion. Thanks

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Definitely is listing. Appreciate your observation and suggestion. Thanks
Tip, put the live well plug in your pocket for a while to warm it up some and it’s much easier to install.

I was out fishing one day with friends not long after I got the boat and wondered why the boat was listing to port and thought, “why is the boat listing? Never did that before…what am I doing different today?”

Dropped them at the dock a few hours later. Pulled into one of my swimming coves and jumped in. As I swam around the back of the boat I could see the port side transom tie down anchor was mostly submerged and the starboard side was totally out of the water. Eureka moment, I didn’t fill the live well. Filled the live well and jumped back in the water and the boat was perfectly level. Well done Yamaha!

I had started using the live well as storage for water bottles, it is a great place to keep drinks, especially with a 20# bag of ice thrown in there as well. It’s quite the entertaining platform, counting the carry on cooler there are three compartments you can use for cold storage, fish box under the starboard seat, and the live well.

Last edited:

Ericd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
That’s a great suggestion too. It’s nice the boat has cooler that fits under the helm seat, but really awkward to use unless you are anchored.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
That’s a great suggestion too. It’s nice the boat has cooler that fits under the helm seat, but really awkward to use unless you are anchored.
You will get the hang of it!

Lately I started putting the cooler under my feet while sitting at the helm. Much more comfortable seating position while cruising. The OEM foot rest is okay, but your feet are kinda behind you, makes me slide forward unless my back is against the rest.