• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New Jet Boat Owner and new to the forums here

Stomp10

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
Hello all!
Just purchased a '97 Sugar Sand Tango with the 175hp Sport Jet (New to me) to replace my '81 Viking 16.5' bowrider powered by the infamous Mercruiser 470 engine. I made this move due to the vintage of the Viking and that now it seems that the 470 is becoming quite obsolete\parts are difficult to locate. A power package people either love or hate. Actually, I fall into the former category. This has been a great boat all the time I have owned it. Not to say it hasn't had its issues over the years.

I purchased the Jet Boat to have something to run in retirement that I can still get parts for. This one has spent lots of time on the water, no hour meter, but it appears to have been well maintained over the years. Still starts and runs nicely. Not great on looks as the topside yellow gelcoat is quite faded, seats are worn out, but it has good bones still.

Took a look up the snoot and everything appears to be low hours on the drive components. Some corrosion evident but, still has paint on the inside of the wear ring. Stator also looks to be quite new as well. Considering myself quite fortunate given the vintage of this boat. If I pamper it here on out, I'm pretty sure it will meet all my needs.
Jet Drive.jpg
Also, I now have 2 boats in my garage. Never thought I'd ever see that day. Decision time for this....

Hoping it will give me good service for the next 20 years or however many more God grants me!
Edited to change the word "latter" to "former".

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Stomp10

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
Thanks Julian, happy to be here!
Have found some good answers here already.

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length