• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New Owner in the Ozarks

YamJamFan

REJECTED / BANNED
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Just bought a new to me 2016 242! Can't wait to start adding/mod'ing the boat and getting her all swagged out.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

YamJamFan

REJECTED / BANNED
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
First thing I'm gonna get is some of the fins (can't remember what they are called) that help the boat steer straight. I let go of the steering wheel this past weekend to grab a beer out of the cooler and the boat started spinning in circles.

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Don't get me wrong ! I am a big fan of both the JBP Thrust Vector product and the Cobra Jet steering products. I have used them both and they will improve the handling of your boat , BUT if the steering is pulling that hard and fast currently (stock) , you have other issues that should first be resolved ? Maybe a nozzle not aligned properly ?

YamJamFan

REJECTED / BANNED
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Oh no! Now your worrying me. Hope I didn't buy a lemon!

I thought my issues were normal and thats why they sell those aftermarket fin things.

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Not likely and I did not mean to alarm you. Similar to a front end alignment on an automobile , the boat will pull hard one way or the other unless the nozzles are parallel with each other. Simple fix and there are other threads on here that describe the process. The JBP fins actually come up out of the water at forward speed so have zero effect on handling going forward. They do provide improved reverse handling. The Cobra Jet fins / fangs stay down in the water always and do effect handling going forward. Good luck and enjoy that great boat.

merlinjet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The Cobra Jet fins / fangs stay down in the water always and do effect handling going forward. Good luck and enjoy that great boat.
The Cobra fins can be adjusted to stay in the water at speed or raise up as speed increases. The mega fangs are used to improve reverse handing. I really like mine....money well spent! Cobra fins/fangs are metal, JEP fins are plastics, if it matters.

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Cobra makes a variety of products for our boats. The original AK fins/ fangs , my current and preferred configuration , do not adjust and are always down in the water both forward and reverse.. The mega's may very well be adjustable but I like the original fangs combined with JBP's lateral thrusters. The best of both worlds IMHO.IMG_0680.jpg

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First thing I'm gonna get is some of the fins (can't remember what they are called) that help the boat steer straight. I let go of the steering wheel this past weekend to grab a beer out of the cooler and the boat started spinning in circles.
Could just be the wind too. My boat will do that too and the nozzles are adjusted. That’s where @Mainah push button stop and start are handy. Push the button to stop, pull in the fenders, push the button to start and your on your way again without getting dizzy.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you r
Cobra makes a variety of products for our boats. The original AK fins/ fangs , my current and preferred configuration , do not adjust and are always down in the water both forward and reverse.. The mega's may very well be adjustable but I like the original fangs combined with JBP's lateral thrusters. The best of both worlds IMHO.View attachment 82122
Did you drill a new hole for the fang like @ttzz did or move the fin up one hole to get clearance for the lateral thrusters? I’m doing this later today and hoping I can just move the fin up one screw hole not that I want to.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Could just be the wind too. My boat will do that too and the nozzles are adjusted. That’s where @Mainah push button stop and start are handy. Push the button to stop, pull in the fenders, push the button to start and your on your way again without getting dizzy.
OP has an e series with the built in push buttons so my standard kit will not work for him. However if an eseries owner want single button start and stop that is some that I could do and never thought of till now.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
OP has an e series with the built in push buttons so my standard kit will not work for him. However if an eseries owner want single button start and stop that is some that I could do and never thought of till now.
You are correct i didn’t catch that.

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Did you r

Did you drill a new hole for the fang like @ttzz did or move the fin up one hole to get clearance for the lateral thrusters? I’m doing this later today and hoping I can just move the fin up one screw hole not that I want to.
I did drill a new hole on each fin just like @ttzz picture. Not really sure that it was necessary and may not have blocked the lateral thruster output on the lowest stock hole ? Was not difficult , just be sure you have a good bit and a steady hand . Measure twice and drill once !! lol

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I did drill a new hole on each fin just like @ttzz picture. Not really sure that it was necessary and may not have blocked the lateral thruster output on the lowest stock hole ? Was not difficult , just be sure you have a good bit and a steady hand . Measure twice and drill once !! lol
Yeah it’s close on the stock hole, I almost didn’t do it myself but if you really look closely it does obstruct it slight at certain turn angles. However at full over when the thruster is fully engaged it is really close to being out of the way. Like you said though it’s easy to do so why not be sure it’s out of the way at all angles of engagement.

Edit: just a hint for anyone who does this, I found it easy to put the top bolt in the fang then swing the fang down to a point where it clears the LT and mark with a pencil. Then drill the hole and then lay it on top of the other one and use it as a template to mark the other fin and drill that hole - done.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah it’s close on the stock hole, I almost didn’t do it myself but if you really look closely it does obstruct it slight at certain turn angles. However at full over when the thruster is fully engaged it is really close to being out of the way. Like you said though it’s easy to do so why not be sure it’s out of the way at all angles of engagement.

Edit: just a hint for anyone who does this, I found it easy to put the top bolt in the fang then swing the fang down to a point where it clears the LT and mark with a pencil. Then drill the hole and then lay it on top of the other one and use it as a template to mark the other fin and drill that hole - done.
My fangs are in the way a little when straight but as soon as you turn the wheel their out of the way. Im thinking I may try it in the stock position, the only time it might be an issue is straight back with a lot of throttle. Still thinking this over I don’t want to break something.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
My fangs are in the way a little when straight but as soon as you turn the wheel their out of the way. Im thinking I may try it in the stock position, the only time it might be an issue is straight back with a lot of throttle. Still thinking this over I don’t want to break something.
Cool - Let us know how that works out, be a good experiment/information for those doing this setup in the future. Like I said I almost tried it this way before I decided to modify it. Personally I didn't like how close they would be to obstructing the lateral stream at slight turns but in reality it may not make a difference.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Cool - Let us know how that works out, be a good experiment/information for those doing this setup in the future. Like I said I almost tried it this way before I decided to modify it. Personally I didn't like how close they would be to obstructing the lateral stream at slight turns but in reality it may not make a difference.
It might just be a little more “power steering affect”.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
It might just be a little more “power steering affect”.
Who knows, but actually if I had to guess I'd say the opposite, dropping them down like I did will actually increase their effectiveness in power steering and tracking cause they are below the ride plate and have greater influence in the water passing by. In the original placement they sit higher above the ride plate and less in the water stream (see image comparison below). Its one of the reasons I surmised that they had such a dramatic affect on tracking for me. But its all just kinda guessing - the real test is do you like what the setup does for you, if you do, that's all that really matters anyway.

Screen Shot 2018-08-25 at 10.50.01 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-25 at 10.50.27 AM.png

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Who knows, but actually if I had to guess I'd say the opposite, dropping them down like I did will actually increase their effectiveness in power steering and tracking cause they are below the ride plate and have greater influence in the water passing by. In the original placement they sit higher above the ride plate and less in the water stream (see image comparison below). Its one of the reasons I surmised that they had such a dramatic affect on tracking for me. But its all just kinda guessing - the real test is do you like what the setup does for you, if you do, that's all that really matters anyway.

View attachment 82170
View attachment 82171
Do you think with the fang being more in the water it will put outward stress on the fin? Just a thought that ran through my brain after reading this.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Do you think with the fang being more in the water it will put outward stress on the fin? Just a thought that ran through my brain after reading this.
I wouldn't use the word stress but yes definitely more force being applied to the back side of the fins - I think that is a good thing. Adds more counter influence to the fins is my guess (ie power steering and tracking). If there was bad stress on the fins you'd feel it in the steering translated as hard or erratic steering. More force on the fangs is just counter balancing the much greater opposite force already on the fins.

Edit: again I have no scientific mathimatical backing for any of my thoughts, all I know is it works really good - steering tracks really well, feels good, and the LTs rock.

Last edited: