• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Not Sure How this will Go......<Pool or boat?>

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
@Ronnie I reviewed the solar panels you linked and wasn't sure they would help. My pool has 17,000 gallons. I am looking at the EcoPoolTech you linked. I have Electricity at the pool, way in the back yard, but only 120v. I am starting to get some thoughts if it would work and heat the pool up, but if don't want to say anything to the family as of yet.
If you get enough sun - the poor mans solar heater works here (not sure if up north). Just a bunch of PVC pipes on your roof painted black that the water travels through.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Whelp...... To update my pool Journey.........

This morning the Admiral indicated that one kid doesn't really want to use the pool but the other wants to use it once in a while - but never does. Ages 16 and 18. She told me I could put it up for sale. I took it down last fall and it is actually rolled up in the boat. Excellent condition.

A lot of work was put into it as you can see by my journey in this thread. The maintenance around the trees was constant, and the girls never really wanted to use it. I didn't have a heater. Plus on the weekends we were on the boat, and as with teenage girls, they always have something better to do somewhere. If it was heated or an inground, I am sure it would get more use.

Sooo.... I plan on selling it and resodding what I took out. The electrical and pole in the backyard will remain. Who knows what the future brings back there, for us or the next owners of the house. I have wanted to move but figure in two years when the last kid graduates from High School. Maybe on a lake or a bit more out into the suburbs/country. Perhaps where there is an association pool or the home already has an inground pool. Maybe finding a place that has such things will give me leverage to move with the Admiral. :)
You’re a good dad, putting the kids wish of a pool before yours.

Now that the pool experiment is over, time to shop for Dad’s boat! 😀

Jim

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Can't help but laugh at the prices above (no offense). It cost me 20k to redo the surface of my pool and deck in 2020. I've heard in todays world a new inground pool and pavers is pushing 100k.
No offense taken by me. My brother bought his home with an in ground pool already installed. The previous owner told him it cost $60k, this was about seven years ago, a local radio station just gave away a $70k pool to a listener, it won’t be ready until next summer. I use to work as a pool and spa cleaner/maintainer in high school and clearly recall that most people didn’t use their pools much at all and most recently I’ve got co-workers telling me how little they use their pools compared to how much time and money they spend maintaining them. These are all things I considered when deciding to go with an above ground pool. That is, if I don’t like it I won’t be out over $15k, a lot less if i don’t have a deck put in but I’m sure it will get a lot less use without the deck.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Ronnie I reviewed the solar panels you linked and wasn't sure they would help. My pool has 13,600 gallons. I am looking at the EcoPoolTech you linked. I have Electricity at the pool, way in the back yard, but only 120v. I am starting to get some thoughts if it would work and heat the pool up, but if don't want to say anything to the family as of yet.
13,600 gallons, wow that is a big pool. I think mine tops out at 6,500 and the electric heaters that can handle more are 240v as well as a lot more expensive. Good luck with whatever you decide. If we go forward with putting a deck up and it looks like we will, I’m going to buy a second pool that is the same as the first of I cannot just find the liner for it. Nice to have spare but what a waste of storage space.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine is a 24' Round with 52" high sides, which I only keep 48" of water. When I used an online calculator it came up to 13,600, unfortunately. Yeah, 240v is not in the cards. Wondering if maybe I just leave it down this year and not sell it, and see how everyone feels next year. I dunno. I put a lot of work into it. But I like the thought of not having to maintain it.

1681419278809.png

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’d be tempted to put it up for another full summer. If no one uses it while it’s hot, sell it if you can. If it makes you feel any better you are not alone. I see a lot of barely used above ground pools selling on Craigslist usually for half of the new prices, sometimes they are being given away to the first person willing to pick it up.

I didn’t do any calcs to determine how much water is in my pool. It was printed on the side of the box.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We use the pool during the week and to wash off after we get home from the beach. After being in salty water that nice clean pool feels amazing.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Do you know what it costs per month to heat your pool? It sounds expensive.
I don't know exact dollar amount, but it does rack up the gas bill. We do that during late spring and early fall. In winter we only heat the hot tub prior to using it so it's cheap. Summer much less power needed to heat. But yeah. I hear you

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Yes I could make it work, but Solar isn't optimal. If I go through the expense and labor and no one uses the pool I am going to be annoyed.
Making a diy solar water heater is pretty inexpensive and inexpensive to run, and if you cover the pool I have no doubt you’d be surprised at how warm the water will get. I like the solar heater Ronnie listed, and you won’t have to try and get a 240VAC ckt out to where the pool is, using a heat pump to heat the water will take a lot of KWH’s. Shoot just having a dark colored pool cover will heat the water a lot on its own. A friend of mine had a very dark blue cover on their pool, never ran the heater and it was really warm.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Feel bad for you Charles. You put a lot of work into that pool. When are you heading out for some Walleye? Read a great article today in BoatUS Mag talking about the Walleye run in the Detroit River,

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Feel bad for you Charles. You put a lot of work into that pool. When are you heading out for some Walleye? Read a great article today in BoatUS Mag talking about the Walleye run in the Detroit River,
Thanks. Its all good. It was a learning experience. I don't regret it. Next pool, maybe next house will be inground. But again with the boat we see plenty of water. I didn't get out this week. Been prepping the boat slowly but shooting for end of next week.

1681521122194.png

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can't help but laugh at the prices above (no offense). It cost me 20k to redo the surface of my pool and deck in 2020. I've heard in todays world a new inground pool and pavers is pushing 100k.
Yup my dads small kidney shapped pool is being resurfaced in FL this month and he said its 17k. I was shocked. He said that pool cost him 50k to build around 20 years ago. Today would cost 80k for same pool

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Whelp..... End of this chapter. :(

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Our pool is rolled up and sitting in the boat right now. Everything else is disassembled in boxes.

Yambers

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Aaahhhh.. And after all we went through to get you that 2nd filter. Haha

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Aaahhhh.. And after all we went through to get you that 2nd filter. Haha
@Yambers Yes I do appreciate it. If you want that filter returned I can do that of course.

I just can't get the family to use the pool for the effort involved.