• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Not your average plug question

FWBAR190

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good Morning All. Firstly, thank you for all the knowledge posted. I've learned so much over the last few days. I just purchased a 2017 AR190. As I'm going through the boat, I notice the cleanout plug won't turn. I read every single post about cleanout plugs on this site as well as the Yamaha Jet Boat site, and with that knowledge I was able to turn the plug and get it out. Again... thank you so much.

So, now with the plug out, I've cleaned it up, scraped off the dogs, scraped off the channels, coated the whole thing in marine grade silicon oil (again, thanks for the tip) but I pretty much have to use a tool with quite a bit of force to get it to turn back to the locked position. There would be no possible way I could do this by hand.

It appears there are two "manhole" cover designs (I hope I have that term right). The long handle plug (I have) and the short T handle design. I couldn't find any information on why the design change. It looks like most of the rebuild kits are for the shorter T handle plug. I did read on here that the gaskets will expand a bit, but figured that would affect seating the plug, not really turning it (could be wrong).

I guess my questions are, is it typical to be so hard to rotate in and out of the locked position, needing a tool to get it open? Would a rebuild kit help? The kit only looks like it contains the gasket and plastic housing. Should I try the T handle design? I'm not sure which one is the newer design. Or just try and buy a replacement for what I already have, the long handle design.

Thanks for any feedback you could provide.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
There were the twist in plugs up until the year 2000 then there were the push button " blow out plugs up to the year 2016 and then they went back to twist in plugs and I stopped following them after that.
I still make EZ locks to prevent the push button style plugs from blowing out however I keep seeing issues with the new style plugs that replaced the push button plugs, I suggest using bees wax to seal and lubricate the twist in style plugs as well as any places that need to be lubricated under the water like cables and pivot points on the nozzles and reverse gates, avoid using any lubricants with solvents in them. Even the Vikings spent a lot of time and money trading for as well as collecting bees wax for their ships because it works so well resisting water it will also help reduce any water leaking past the seals of those plugs..

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Pics, pics, ALWAYS add pics. As great a description as someone can have, visuals of the situation can show something you missed or aren't aware of. We can also use those pics to help guide you as well, since descriptions of the possible fix are made easier as well.

You cannot switch to the older plug design, even if you wanted to, without replacing the mating parts as well, which would require fiberglass work and a serious amount of effort. The older design also has an issue with damaging things if/when it lets loose, which is the reason for the redesign

The rubber seals most definitely can make it difficult to turn the plug, as there's 180 degrees of friction material ghat you're trying to spin. The rebuild kits should include the plastic base and the rubber ring, because the rest is metal, and those would typically be your only wear parts.

If you get us pics, we can see if it looks like you could benefit from a rebuild kit, and I will have info tomorrow on whether or not there's a cheaper solution if you only require the rubber ring.

Regarding your plug and the mating pieces you scraped, do they feel corroded or pitted? If so, that may need to be addressed. Show pics

Lastly, there's a "SET" and "LOCK" position. It needs to be in the set position, seated fully down, and then turned. If it moves from the SET position, it will apparently still be able to be turned, but could jam or be difficult to turn.

Send pics, we can get you squared away. These plugs aren't too complicated

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So I can’t go back to the old clean out plug design?

3FEE7C57-67A0-4B75-9B0A-AF9E5125EDF1.jpeg

No, but if you could, would you really want to?

28003D93-1773-412A-AAA5-0A69BC9203D9.jpeg