• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Oil and Water mix in the Engine Compartment After Oil Change

Russell

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I cannot figure this one out. I need ideas people! I changed the oil and filters on my 212X today and double checked all oil levels. All is in the 3/4 from full when hot according to the dip sticks. However after running around on the lake today I took another look and my levels and all is fine but there was a small puddle of watery oil floating on my floor from the right side engine. The left engine side is completely dry. So I have to ask, do I have a crack in the water jacket or crankcase that would allow a leak to occur? I'm not sure how water would get in to a oil leak. Please enlighten me as I'm clueless to the way the water cooling aspect of this engine works. I wish I had a camera to take a photo but my cell was dead at the time. Any ideas? Thanks in advance...

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Are you certain that the oil is not from the change? Oil that escaped cleanup after the change seems like the most likely scenario.

Russell

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I wiped what I could see before I went out on the extended ride. I can't say its not impossible. It would make me feel better if this was the outcome though.
Q. How would water enter this area anyway?
Q. Is there a tool or a device like a mini camera that allows me to see if a part of the engine is cracked?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wiped what I could see before I went out on the extended ride. I can't say its not impossible. It would make me feel better if this was the outcome though.
Q. How would water enter this area anyway?
Q. Is there a tool or a device like a mini camera that allows me to see if a part of the engine is cracked?

Throw a gopro under the engine and fire it up see if there is oil coming out somewhere. Does the 2010 212X have the 1.8l engines could it be the oil cooler bolt? I don't think I have heard anyone mention that issue on that model but just throwing it out there.

Russell

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Good idea Robert. My son has one of those I'll have to give this idea a go. Thanks.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The engine compartment is connected to the bilge. So water in the engine compartment after being on the lake does not surprise me at all. The oil could have been on the side of or underneath your engine from the oil change.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I assume you have checked the oil again in that engine to be sure it isn't milky (has no water in it)?

My guess is you missed some oil that came off the oil filter, and ran on the engine to the bottom of it, then dripped onto the bottom of the bilge under the engine. Then you got some water in the bilge - which is another question...when you pulled the plug, how much water came out?

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just throwing out a possibility here. Are you sure that the gasket for the old oil filter came off with the filter and that it didn't stick to the engine block? Also, did you hand tighten the filter or use a wrench? Over wrenching it when putting it on might cause a leak too.

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am with others here. The coincidence of having an oil leak immediately after changing the oil would lead me to think it is excess oil that leaked on to floor/bilge area or engine. I would also have a close look at the oil filter to make sure it is sealed properly. When changing the oil, did you put some oil on the gasket of the new filter before installing it? Could be too loose or too tight (or damaged from the wrench) as Dennis mentioned. I would keep a close eye on the dipstick though to make sure that you don't have any milk colored oil just in case. You could also consider running on the hose and see if you have any leaks. You might dry out the bilge and place some paper towels down to see if you get any drops and work your way backward from there. Keep us updated.

Russell

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Thanks for all the reply's guys, I really appreciate the ideas coming in.
A. Yes, I checked the old oil filters and no rubber gaskets were left behind.
A. I did lube the new filter gasket with fresh oil before the install on both filters.
A. I tightened the filters on with my socket set (its a K&N filter with the spot wielded nut on the end) Firm, but not overly tight.

I'm going to go back out to the marina this week and clean up my floor as I didn't get a chance last night as the engine were to warm
to go cleaning around without burning some forearms and knuckles.

Q. That starboard side hole in the front of the hull does it empty out in the engine compartment for the bilge pump to handle?
(If so that may be the source of the water as there was some big yachts and heavy traffic chopping up the water yesterday.)

I'm going to relax others has noted the oil maybe left under the engine block where I could clean or see. Until then I'll
keep the floors clean from here on out and watch the dip sticks and floor for any oil loss or spotting issues.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Q. That starboard side hole in the front of the hull does it empty out in the engine compartment for the bilge pump to handle?
(If so that may be the source of the water as there was some big yachts and heavy traffic chopping up the water yesterday.)
You may have two drains on your forward starboard hull,
anchor locker drain - this is usually a direct thru hull fitting to your anchor locker, I think we have had members before that take water in and their anchor locker isn't sealed well and the water will work it's way back,
under seat cooler - this is usually a drain with a hose hooked up to it from the cooler to the thru hull fitting - it the could be the hose clamp is loose and causing a leak,

In either of these it would seem like you would have to take a lot of water to make it back to bilge.

does you bilge pump normally come on during a trip? do you know your bilge pump is working?
how much water came out when you pulled the transom drain plug?
What's normal for you?

I think you probably just took on water over the back through the cleanout area since you had a lot of waves yesterday and you just have a drip from the filter,

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
When I change the oil on mine, I can usually catch all of the oil out of the port engine filter. Due to the slope of the bottom of the bilge vs. where the filter is located, I always miss some of the oil on the starboard side and it drains down into the bilge (even with using puppy piddle pads to catch it). I'm with others in that the coincidence of this oil and water right after an oil change is just that -- coincidence. I say keep an eye on it and see if it continues or gets better.

If you want to see an interesting "puddle' of water, try looking at your anchor locker when at idle speed. Mine fills up a good 10-12" deep as water flows up from the drain hole. I learned this one time when I hadn't used the anchor on a trip, yet the rode was all soaked. Now, it's part of my post-trip checklist to lay that line out on the floor of the boat to dry. Luckily that locker is fully water tight and the water doesn't go any where.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree with everyone. Only adding:

I got me an oil boom and put it between the engines and just run with it down there. In case there is any oil that spills for any reason, it gets caught by the boom and the water goes to the pump (the oil booms don't absorb water). Keeps me environmentally friendly and all.

Russell

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
A quick update on this issue; I went out to the marina today and cleaned up the engine compartment floor with Lysol wipes.
I felt the crankcase and oil filter seals as best as possible for any leaks, nothing wet.
I checked the oil levels on both engines, they both read between the full and low marks on the dip sticks. (cold)
I ran her around for about 20 mins. and brought her back in the slip for a check under the hood. No leaks! All is well!
I'm relieved that it wasn't something serious. Thanks guys for your responses!

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's great @Russell glad to hear the good news.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm jealous. I wish I could have gone out today. Still waiting for an ice-breaker to run through the river.
We are relieved along with you.