• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Oil Change Fail

WiredKC

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Check your filters!

I changed my oil last week and couldn’t figure out initially why oil was oozing out from the filter. I hand tightened the filter as I would normally do, yet when I checked after running, the filter was loose! Fortunately I didn’t run the motor beyond a 4-5 min idle before discovering I had an issue. Pulled the filter and found a plastic piece inside (see pictures).

Fortunately everything is running fine, but I had quite a mess on my hands, and things could have ended up a lot worse.

Attachments

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hmmm, why does that plastic piece look familiar?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The bypass valve?

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Fortunately I didn’t run the motor beyond a 4-5 min idle before discovering I had an issue.
THAT right there is your REALLY valuable tip!

Just because the job is finished, doesn't mean that it's been completed! Take it for a short run, like you did, open up the engine hatch to double check that nothing is leaking, addressing it if there is a problem, and check your oil one last time after it cools down.

Great reminder!

Ericd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I would return oil filter to dealer and make sure Yamaha corp got your pictures!

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Changed my oil yesterday... I looked up inside one of the new filters and could see the little black plastic piece pictured in @WiredKC ‘s pictures above.

The question in my mind is why the filter was leaking? Even if the bypass valve was dislodged the base should have still been sealed...🤔

This time, second oil change from new, I used a nail to put two holes in the filters before getting started to let the oil drain out. What a difference, hardly any spillage.