• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

One of THOSE Weekends.....part deux

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It all started innocently enough. Our typical routine of shopping and packing for a 3 day trip (2 1/2 really) to the river.
I got every thing on the list right after work on Thursday. Well, almost everything. It wouldn't be a trip to the store if I didn't forget one damn thing!

This time it was Wheat Thins. I got "The Look" for that . :(

OK, all packed and just killing time until 7:00 pm - that's the time the boss told me that she wants to leave because our daughter asked if we could all leave together and she had to work late that day. OK, that's cool.

6:50 pm my wife gets a text: "Are you guys on the road yet?"

WTF?

They left early because her patient cancelled. :mad:

And obviously driving together wasn't such a big deal since they didn't bother to tell us.

OK, that's cool - let's just go.

Me: Honey, did you let the dog out to go before we left?
Her: Yes.
Me: Did he poop?
Her: I don't know.
Me: Well he's farting so should we stop? It's a long drive.

Too late, the old dog let it go on the floor in the back of the van.....oh crap, literally.

Stop, let him out, clean things up, get back on the road. :confused:

We are way behind and have to make up some time...
And since they took the freeway to hell, I would take the one that is moving. When it was all said and done we got in about 15 minutes after they did even though they left about 2 hours before us.

Next day....

7:00 am - Launch. All is well. I had planned to beach the boat briefly while I ran up to the parking lot to make a few repairs to the bunk boards...15-20 minutes honey, enjoy your coffee, be right back.

That went quickly, no problems. Cross that off the list.

Next up, change the oil. Usually do that while floating down river while it's nice and calm - no other boats around.

Boss says, "Why don't we just do it right here?" I think...hmmm, not a bad idea, it would be quicker.
So we break out the "stuff" and start. First engine - no problem - done. Start on the second engine and just happen to look over the side of the boat and think to myself, "Self, does the water seem to be going down fast?"
It was...and it did. And I stop and say, "Let's move the boat back a couple of feet before we get stuck."

TOO LATE.

Stuck like a chicken bone in a dog's craw.

We get on the phone and start calling some friends who had launched earlier than us and were somewhere skiing...no answer....voice mail.....try their daughter who walks around with the phone in her hand all day, certainly she'll pick up. Nope.

Finally someone gets the call, we are really stuck now.

I made a bridle out of tow line and had it waiting for my buddy when he arrived. Fortunately his daughter's boyfriend doesn't miss many meals and between him and me and my buddy in the his boat, we got my boat dragged off the beach. And that's when I saw THE ROCK.

Yeah, about the size of a bowling ball on serious steroids...it was well under water when we first beached, however when the water went down, so did the boat...on THE ROCK.

We had been rocking the boat trying to free it and we were unknowingly rocking it right onto ...
you guessed it..THE ROCK.

At the end of the day I would discover several chunks of gel coat chipped off a chine. Nice. I ended up doing gel coat repair in the parking lot that night while holding a flashlight in my teeth.

This is where I make a long story short, because it's still going downhill and I don't want to make that trip down Memory Lane just yet. Suffice to say that there was blood involved - mine, and maybe some swearing ( OK, A LOT of swearing)

Ever had one of THOSE Weekends?

:cool:

@Glassman, wish you the best and I have to say that you can turn a bad situation into a great story. You had me at Wheat thins and it got better from there. I didn't like getting to the part about the rock but I will pretend that didn't happen. Good luck

I enjoyed part one and look forward to hearing the rest!

It all started innocently enough. Our typical routine of shopping and packing for a 3 day trip (2 1/2 really) to the river.
I got every thing on the list right after work on Thursday. Well, almost everything. It wouldn't be a trip to the store if I didn't forget one damn thing!

This time it was Wheat Thins. I got "The Look" for that . :(

OK, all packed and just killing time until 7:00 pm - that's the time the boss told me that she wants to leave because our daughter asked if we could all leave together and she had to work late that day. OK, that's cool.

6:50 pm my wife gets a text: "Are you guys on the road yet?"

WTF?

They left early because her patient cancelled. :mad:

And obviously driving together wasn't such a big deal since they didn't bother to tell us.

OK, that's cool - let's just go.

Me: Honey, did you let the dog out to go before we left?
Her: Yes.
Me: Did he poop?
Her: I don't know.
Me: Well he's farting so should we stop? It's a long drive.

Too late, the old dog let it go on the floor in the back of the van.....oh crap, literally.

Stop, let him out, clean things up, get back on the road. :confused:

We are way behind and have to make up some time...
And since they took the freeway to hell, I would take the one that is moving. When it was all said and done we got in about 15 minutes after they did even though they left about 2 hours before us.

Next day....

7:00 am - Launch. All is well. I had planned to beach the boat briefly while I ran up to the parking lot to make a few repairs to the bunk boards...15-20 minutes honey, enjoy your coffee, be right back.

That went quickly, no problems. Cross that off the list.

Next up, change the oil. Usually do that while floating down river while it's nice and calm - no other boats around.

Boss says, "Why don't we just do it right here?" I think...hmmm, not a bad idea, it would be quicker.
So we break out the "stuff" and start. First engine - no problem - done. Start on the second engine and just happen to look over the side of the boat and think to myself, "Self, does the water seem to be going down fast?"
It was...and it did. And I stop and say, "Let's move the boat back a couple of feet before we get stuck."

TOO LATE.

Stuck like a chicken bone in a dog's craw.

We get on the phone and start calling some friends who had launched earlier than us and were somewhere skiing...no answer....voice mail.....try their daughter who walks around with the phone in her hand all day, certainly she'll pick up. Nope.

Finally someone gets the call, we are really stuck now.

I made a bridle out of tow line and had it waiting for my buddy when he arrived. Fortunately his daughter's boyfriend doesn't miss many meals and between him and me and my buddy in the his boat, we got my boat dragged off the beach. And that's when I saw THE ROCK.

Yeah, about the size of a bowling ball on serious steroids...it was well under water when we first beached, however when the water went down, so did the boat...on THE ROCK.

We had been rocking the boat trying to free it and we were unknowingly rocking it right onto ...
you guessed it..THE ROCK.

At the end of the day I would discover several chunks of gel coat chipped off a chine. Nice. I ended up doing gel coat repair in the parking lot that night while holding a flashlight in my teeth.

This is where I make a long story short, because it's still going downhill and I don't want to make that trip down Memory Lane just yet. Suffice to say that there was blood involved - mine, and maybe some swearing ( OK, A LOT of swearing)

Ever had one of THOSE Weekends?

:cool:
Just had one at lake Shasta. There was no water at the resort. Water level was non existent in most of the upper arms. Sucked up the tow rope in both impellers. Forgot the orange flag at home, tried to beach the boat and jump on what I thought was solid shore but was almost waist deep mud. On the way home my travel cover ripped to shreds. So I feel your pain......

When it rains... it pours! Get it all out at once !

Reactions: 007
Yes, I can relate...just not on the river or in a boat. But you tell your story so well, had me laughing at from the beginning!! And very sorry for your misfortune.

We went to lake Michigan which is a 30 minute drive and my father in law blew a tire on the way there and on the way back. At least boat ran fine and no busted props

Man that sucks but at least you know a guy that can repair your chips! Ya know......you never listen to the wife when on land so next time take that philosophy with you onto the boat!

@Glassman . . . . just be glad you have this forum to vent. Imagine how much it would have cost you had you taken it out on the boat (or wife). . . .= )

Wow! What an adventure! I did laugh about the dog letting lose in the car. That has happened to me before.

@Glassman . . . . just be glad you have this forum to vent. Imagine how much it would have cost you had you taken it out on the boat (or wife). . . .= )
Lol so very true! I was frustrated the other day and dented a steel door via my toe. Hurt bad enough for me to copy the dent higher with my fist. I find with others around i can keep calm as you did but you gotta vent some how!

Lol so very true! I was frustrated the other day and dented a steel door via my toe. Hurt bad enough for me to copy the dent higher with my fist. I find with others around i can keep calm as you did but you gotta vent some how!

This forum is literally a sanity outlet. . . . . I enjoy posting and sharing for comment to make sure I am in check with reality.

Oh Man.... Things weren't TOO bad until The Rock.

Ouch. I felt that one.

You have an outstanding memory @Glassman. I would've long forgotten about the wheat thins half way down the road with dog crap in the car? Are you sure the dog didn't eat them? That might explain while he couldn't hold it. With all that fiber in them.

Hopefully the ride home was/or will be smoother.

Man that sucks....never been at a lake where the level drops that fast....must be some serious slouse(sp?) gates!

This is on the Colorado River, which is essentially a huge irrigation ditch where it flows down along the California Arizona border. The level is high at night when they irrigate so as to retain as much water possible on the fields and not lose it to evaporation as badly as they would during the day. So the level drops in the early morning and starts coming up in the evening.

The amazing thing about all this is that overall, it was a pretty good trip. And I have the scars to remember it by! :cool:

@Glassman: Ya know Buddy, I can see this was not like "the Best Weekend boating trip ever" for you. We all can read the "pain."

But I HAD to add to this: You constantly make most all of us laugh with your comments ........
and while we may not say it enough, we all appreciate those GEMS of yours - And we hope you always continue.

But I read this (since I get to keep my boat on a lift) starting with the Wheat Thins bit (ALL of us married guys have been "THERE" ! ... LOL !) ...........
and then "the dog" portion ..............

I needed a great laugh this AM. Thanks for making it possible. This was simply one of your BEST GEMS ever ! Much Enjoyed !
Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

I don"t need to have those kind of trips.....When I can stay home and read about your adventure!!!....Lol

Yeah, I was chuckling at the Wheat Thins but lost it at the dog crap. My wife had to read the rest to me.

Back