• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Overheating issue & Check for Water in engine

jollyroger

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Went to Lake Powell for the first time in about 20 years and the first time with my wife and 3 daughters. It was hot but fun. The water was super warm and lots of gunk and debris in the water. Ingested something day two in the impeller and did the Reverse, forward, turn off engine trick and it worked. Cleared out the debris and engine ran great.

On the last evening we were exploring a few side canyons in the Escalante, which had the ole gunk and debris in them. Then headed home and about 1 mile into the run home the engine overheating light came on. There was no water coming out the starboard pee hole. Nothing is in the impeller area and I pulled the strainer and that too is clear. Any ideas on what else to check?

Issue #2 is that on the tow home (we had 2 powerboats thank goodness) I forgot to clamp the water hose line for about 1 mile. We were towing about about 8 mph. How do I check to see if there is water in the engine/exhaust etc. where it should not be? Will Not start the engine until I know it is clear.

Wondering if it is best to make the 2 hour trek to Denver, Colorado to the Yamaha dealer to make sure all is really OK. Thanks in advance for the help.

With you saying there was gunk in the lake and no water coming out the pee hole, then your line is more than likely clogged somewhere. I know that is what you already think, I'm just confirming the thought. The strainer you checked, is that the one in the jet pump? The intake for the cooling system is the square thing of holes in the jet pump area. I'd start there and make sure it's clear. If it is clear, then it's gonna be in your line further in.

As far as not clamping the line while being towed, I personally don't THINK going 8 mph will harm it. Especially with your cooling line being clogged with gunk already too. I'll let others chime in on it. We have a ton of smart people on here, but if none of them come up with a solution, then I'd make that trek to the dealer. Good Luck

If you really want to be sure you didn't get water into the engine during tow, remove all the spark plugs and then turn the engines over to be sure there isn't any water in the cylinders. If not, you're likely fine. If there is, start flushing the oil to get any water out FAST. Rust happens quick on bare internal engine bearings.

Honestly, I bet you're fine towing at that speed but you can never be sure and hydrolocking the motor is EXPENSIVE.

What line or lines do you clamp off ? I need to mark mine w zip ties ...

Also doubt you ingested water but pull the spark plugs to check. Also, try running on the hose as it sometimes helps to flush out what you sucked in. Do you think you ingested sand or mud? If so, then if you are mechanically inclined you can pull all the hoses and flush them, if not...have the dealer do it as the head might be clogged too. Often the thermostat is where the clog starts....pull it to see if there is anything there.

Check the oil for water. If you got any, I doubt you did, It will show up there. When dry cranking the engine with the spark plugs out pull the lanyard out to prevent damage to the ignition.

The Oil level is fine. Pulled the plugs, cranked the engine and did not see any liquids so assuming water is not in the engine.

Will post a picture for Aaron on the line I clamped.

Now Off to pull the thermostat, if I can figure that one out and no gasket replacements needed and then run the engine on the hose.

Back