• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

PERIODIC HARD STARTING..HELP NEEDED!

Leojay

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yamaha Nation I Need Your Help!
Since new in 2014 I periodically have had a hard start situation with my naturally aspirated 1.8 engine. When it happens It always eventually starts after cranking for several seconds for one or two cycles. Sometimes I go a full season with out it happening, but sometimes its a few times in one season, but its rare. You just never know when it's going to have this difficulty starting.
Recommended solutions by those who have experienced the same situation are:
  1. Let the engine cool and idle a bit before shutting it down each time
  2. Run the blower for longer periods before starting
  3. Its been suggested its possibly vapor lock and may happen more when pushing the engine hard.
Here is how you can help. I'm trying to determine if this problem is limited to certain years. I ask if you could simply comment here with the word "yes" or "no" if this has ever happened to you followed by the year of your boat.
I'll start - Yes 2014
I can't thank you enough!!

Attachments

• IMG_7468.jpg
    IMG_7468.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Yamaha Nation I Need Your Help!
Since new in 2014 I periodically have had a hard start situation with my naturally aspirated 1.8 engine. When it happens It always eventually starts after cranking for several seconds for one or two cycles. Sometimes I go a full season with out it happening, but sometimes its a few times in one season, but its rare. You just never know when it's going to have this difficulty starting.
Recommended solutions by those who have experienced the same situation are:
  1. Let the engine cool and idle a bit before shutting it down each time
  2. Run the blower for longer periods before starting
  3. Its been suggested its possibly vapor lock and may happen more when pushing the engine hard.
Here is how you can help. I'm trying to determine if this problem is limited to certain years. I ask if you could simply comment here with the word "yes" or "no" if this has ever happened to you followed by the year of your boat.
I'll start - Yes 2014
I can't thank you enough!!
How long of a cranking are we talking about? 5 seconds, 10 seconds, 20.......?

How long of a cranking are we talking about? 5 seconds, 10 seconds, 20.......?
approx. 5-7 seconds each attempt. Normally starts in 1 second or so.

yes. 2017 212 Limited S(starboard side mostly I think) I now let it idle to cool down some and it never happens anymore.

2014 neutral safety switch periodically just move the throttle back and forth a bit and retry it usually starts up after that I had the exact same problem with a 2014 1800 engine and I mean exact it did it out of the clear blue sky once in a while with no obvious reason.

Last edited:
Yes 2020

In the words of The Dude in the big Lebowski, “Hey mannn…new shit has come to light”

One of our members @MrBubbaGump (210 FSH owner) appears to have unearthed the fix for this issue on the 21’ hulls with the TR-1 engines.

I linked page three so you can skip to the end so to speak. The short version is that on the 21’ hull TR-1 engines configuration the fix from Yamaha is to run the boat hard in reverse for a couple of seconds to remove water (excess?) from the water locks before shutdown. Member @anmut has confirmed that this procedure works with his 21’ 212S bow rider, with the boat in neutral use the no wake mode button and raise the rpm’s to level three hold it there for 10-15 seconds, then back to normal idle before engine shutdown. I have also recently used @anmut’s method to have reliable crisp re starts. The way I see it doing this removes enough water from the water locks to create a bubble of gas in there, when the engine starts there is somewhere for the exhaust gas to go since a gas can be compressed, whereas if the lock is full of water (water can’t be compressed) there isn’t anywhere for the exhaust gas to go and that creates a lot of back pressure when the motor is trying to start so much so it can’t start. The motor must pump enough water out to create that bubble in the lock and once the back pressure drops enough it will start.

I believe Yamaha stated that this issue was not limited to one model.

So, it stands to reason that your 1.8L engine boat could possibly benefit from this procedure as well, see my post #54 in the linked thread. Why not give it a try and let us know.

Last edited:
yes: 2020 210 FSH TR-1's, Starboard motor randomly hard to start. Better if i allow it to idle a minute prior to shutdown.

Was out all day yesterday, I cruised all the way around Laky Poygan and went over to Lake Butte Des Morts, probably 60 miles at least, I burned 20 gallons of fuel. I ran a test, a couple of times I just came to a stop and turned off the motors and the other times came to a stop and ran the engines at no wake level three approximately 2300 rpms in neutral for 10 or 15 seconds. The times I did not do the no wake the starboard engine either started lazily or one time I had to crank it a bunch, with the no wake treatment both engines started briskly after a few revolutions from the starter motor just like when I put the boat in for the first time of the day, like @anmut said.

Thanks @MrBubbaGump! The information you got from Yamaha has worked very well.

When surfing with the 850lb ballast and stock ballast weighting the surf side, the motor is buried deep in the water and has been a known issue to hard start. My solution that seemed to help was having everyone go to the opposite side of the boat to even it out as much as possible this could have possibly siphoned some water out of the water lock. The neutral rev seems like it would also be helpful before shutting down the motor. I did have a two hard starts but just recently replaced the spark plugs and have not had it since.

Back