• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Plywood in Yamaha Boats

John_D

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I can't find any information on this subject. Does Yamaha use plywood in their boat construction?

Very little. I read once that it was none, but in drilling my transom I did find some. So I believe that there are pieces here and there, but nowhere near the amount in normal boat construction.

There are blocks of aluminum also used to give strength (example: under the helm chair).

I can't find any information on this subject. Does Yamaha use plywood in their boat construction?

@John_D .....there appears to be more plywood than I would like in the aft bilge area. It is glassed except where holes have been drilled through for hoses etc. AND those holes have not even had resin or Sikaflex/3M4200 put on them. Is this really bad? No, but it is cheap and not what i would expect from Yamaha AND really poor when I compare it to my (sold) 2018 Yamaha SVHO FX Cruiser that was totally sealed and even gel coated/painted EVERYWHERE in the bilge. It would take no time at all and very little money for Yamaha to take this bilge area to the next level. For comparison most boats (even entry levels) have had their bilge areas gel coated or epoxy painted for the last 20 years. raw fiberglass and exposed plywood core are IMO crappy work. :cool: BTW because I think we may keep our 2020 SX195 for a while I plan to seal the cut-out holes.

Good evening, I spoke with Yamaha today, I was told there is no wood in their boat construction. hummmmm....... thinking they are keeping it a secret? He told me that's why they offer a lifetime warranty on their boats??? Your thoughts

That is consistent with what I heard. And I certainly could have mistaken some epoxy shavings for wood ones. Not the best light there in the back of my storage unit.

That is why I say there may be a little, but it is much less than a normal boat at least (and may be none).

Well there is plywood in my 08 232. Atleast what i cam see is the aft bulkhead and stringers in the aft bilge. They may have phased it out by now

Definitely marine plywood in the transverse stringers in my 2008 SX-230. Readily visible from lying on my back in the ski locker while I was running wires. Also, the rear bulkheads were wood, can't remember if plywood or some kind of particle board (under marine carpeting). I never saw it as an issue.

Quite possible they've eliminated wood now, but it would be easy enough to get into compartments with a flashlight to look under and behind surfaces to verify.

Oh, there is wood. I was talking about wood in the fiberglass. Several bulkheads are wood.

@John_D .....yes they do, in my opinion. Do they use wood or plywood as a "core component" in fiberglass lamination. Not sure yet. The first time I pre-drill a hole for a screw I will know that. In the meantime, IMO, there appears to be lot of wood in bulkheads etc. - particularly where water can get into the aft cavity under the swim platform.....and at least on my 2020 SX195 there are a number of areas (not counting cut-outs for through bulkhead hoses) where the glasswork leaves gaps.....and none of this is gel coated or even epoxy painted. I really like Yamaha Marine (as I have repeatedly stated) have bought several units and recommend them highly, however no plywood or wood?- in my opinion, I have to call BS on that one. BTW I have had so much conflicting information from Yamaha HQ that I just call Riva Racing now if I have a question. :cool:

Last edited:
@John_D .....yes they do. Do they use wood or plywood as a "core component" in fiberglass lamination. Not sure yet. The first time I pre-drill a hole for a screw I will know that. In the meantime, IMO, there is a lot of wood in bulkheads etc. - particularly where water can get into the aft cavity under the swim platform.....and at least on my 2020 SX195 there are a number of areas (not counting cut-outs for through bulkhead hoses) where the glasswork leaves gaps.....and none of this is gel coated or even epoxy painted. I really like Yamaha Marine (as I have repeatedly stated) have bought several units and recommend them highly, however no plywood or wood?- I call BS on that one. BTW I have had so much conflicting information from Yamaha HQ that I just call Riva Racing now if I have a question. :cool:
Thanks you

My new boat is the FSH series and that's what I questioned Yamaha on. I will take the advice and call Riva Racing Thanks guys good and helpful info

Correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure I read somewhere that there is no longer any wood in any of the new Yamaha Boats anymore. There was in the older models. Not sure where I read it but I have been trying to find it.

While installing my amp and running new wires, and poking around in the transom, I never saw any wood. There's a lot of unfinished glass that without a flashlight might look like wood, but I saw nothing to suggest any wood is in the boat these days.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure I read somewhere that there is no longer any wood in any of the new Yamaha Boats anymore. There was in the older models. Not sure where I read it but I have been trying to find it.
ADC2EB76-9797-4ED5-8A5D-87BF0B05FE41.jpegThat is bs this is wood inside the floor(gas tank cover)

Yes that is balsa core. What year boat is that from?

Last edited:
Yes there is a balsa core in the 07-09 fuel hatches. it should look something like this after 10 years when the table mount does not leak into the end cut balsa. Not to mention the sealant in the screw threads holding it down.

20170515_142451.jpg

Last edited:
Back