• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Pole/Netting

Sjetter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello, I just purchased a 2009 SX230 a couple of weeks ago and discovered the pole/netting under a seat. I can't find anything pertaining to this in the manual. Does anyone have know what it is used for?......ThanksBoat Part-Netting.jpg

They are used to hold up the low points of the cover to keep rain from pooling. Hopefully someone can post a pic with them installed.

Looks like you have two sets there. White straps go on the bow cleats and black straps on the rear cleats.

I have the same observation as murf. Also I think the adjustable poles come with the canvas cover and the fixed ones the canvas cover. I don't know about "netting" but think that the plastic hubs that hold the straps are what is being referenced as pole netting.

Thanks so much guys for the info. I have my cover at an upholstry shop having a few places patched that were worn. I am going to have to recondition it with some Aqua-Tite or Camp Dry when I get it back so I can assemble the straps/netting and poles and see how they work. I was actually going try to manufacture a taller pole for the aft pole insertion slot to create a tent affect at that location of the cover. I will see how straps and poles work first.

Julian, do you happen to have a link to the SXT1100D-H service manual? Or is this something that has to be purchased?

The poles with the straps are for the shipping cover. The adjustable poles are for the canvas cover.

The poles with the straps are for the shipping cover. The adjustable poles are for the canvas cover.

OH......so that swing I rigged up from the tower is really supposed to be used with the cover? :eek:

OH......so that swing I rigged up from the tower is really supposed to be used with the cover? :eek:

Just remember to run if you see your wife tying those straps around her waist. :)

The fixed poles are for the shipping cover, a white vinyl coated cover that the boat was transported to the dealer with. The adjustable poles go with the mooring and trailering canvas cover. Don't trailer with the poles installed. They are only for when the boat is sitting and the cover is on, to prevent water from pooling. Don't let snow build up on it either, it will tear it...even here in Texas if we get that much winter moisture...same with water, the stuff is HEAVY!

Have to disagree, snow may not tear the shipping cover. Mine has survived several seasons stored outside north of Chicago. We had a lot of snow and ice this year that the cover survived just fine but I now have (had) spider cracks where the back of my windshield attaches via screws to the boat.

Have to disagree, snow may not tear the shipping cover. Mine has survived several seasons stored outside north of Chicago. We had a lot of snow and ice this year that the cover survived just fine but I now have (had) spider cracks where the back of my windshield attaches via screws to the boat.

I'll find my original post about the spider crack repair material and update it, but just to let you know, it worked quite well. http://www.magicezy.com/

@davel501 , allow me to clarify...maybe my wording is what you disagreed with. Let me clarify...there is not load capacity rated for any of the covers. Speaking specifically about the canvas (not shipping) covers for a moment...They are designed to shed water and not designed to hold anything at all. Wet snow is especially heavy and "may" cause the cover to rip. We have had members in the previous forum and some of them are now here, that have reported tears or rips due to a weight load on their covers. A sagging cover can hold water and whether water or snow, if it is sagging, it puts weight on the seams, and they can give way. At a minimum it puts additional stress on the cover.

While I am clarifying here, let me also add that the new Premium cover, made by the same folks that made the Deluxe Mooring and Trailering cover, designed it to be used with the anti-pooling poles installed while trailering, but the mooring and trailing cover was designed to be used without. Same situation, some have done it and not had an issue, others report stress and tears. It is too subjective to make a judgement IMO about this as some covers get more UV exposure than others, and some are subjected, like @davel501 's cover, to snow loads. It may be nothing more than UV that causes the weakening, but the snow, water, or trailering/w poles may be the point of failure.

And finally, the shipping cover is entirely a different animal than the M/T or even the premium cover. It has a greater weight capability than does either of the canvas covers. And...it is designed to have anti-pooling poles installed for trailering. But it does not breath. Many guys have disagreed that they are ok for storage and point taken on that, we can disagree. Again, it is very subjective. The geographic regions we all live/boat/storage/trailer/etc. vary greatly, and it isn't a "one size fits all" answer. But overall, the shipping cover, being a 3 ply cover, is MUCH heavier than is either of the permanent storage and trailering covers. The shipping cover was never designed to be used on a boat that was put into service, it was the factory shipping cover for transport on dealer delivery, it is fleece lined inside, a middle ply, and a vinyl coating, and as such, it just doesn't breath at all. The vents on the side of it are not vents for the purpose of ventilation, but rather designed to create the suction to keep the cover from flapping and etching the glass when in transport. It is a good idea to use some form of ventilation and moisture control if you use a shipping cover for storage.

Thanks for pointing out that my generic answer above was not clear!

My shipping cover is getting thin where the poles hold it up, this is the result of me towing with the poles in less than 100 miles over 4 or 5 trips to the closest ramp too me. Another 20 mile trip is all it will take for the thin spots to turn into holes which tend to tear and expand quickly. Per this experience I won't be towing with the poles up on either of my covers in the future. Even thought the shipping cover is less expensive ($250) compared to the canvas cover ($550 +) it's still not what I consider cheap and I'm in no rush to buy another one.

I'll find my original post about the spider crack repair material and update it, but just to let you know, it worked quite well. http://www.magicezy.com/

I am still working on that patch on my keel so I had to mix up some patch paste for that and just made it a full 2 oz batch. I had another set of spider cracks by the cup holder in front of the helm from a friends daughter jumping off a dock onto that seat and some missing gelcoat on the front of that seat from a mistake I made with the points of the Danforth anchor. Plan to sand it Friday afternoon and float her Friday night.

Back