• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Potable Water

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was wondering is there a way to rig something on the boat that would take either lake water or ocean water and purify/convert it to potable water on the fly?

The first question would be how much water are you thinking about?

When I was looking at a larger sailboat, I explored water makers, for use with saltwater. Found them to be a pit pricey (at least several thousand dollars) and somewhat bulky, due to the RO filters.

If you were looking at small quantities of water, and the source is lake water, perhaps a water filter might do?

Jim

I was just thinking about stuff for the future.

I have thought about this as well for my planned off grid boating trips. Something I learned years ago was that those straws you drink lake water etc out of will not protect you against some of the little beasties in the water, you still need to use aqua tabs or something like that, I keep aqua tabs in my boat for emergencies.

This unit Guardian™ Purifier | Filters & Purifiers | MSR is a very good one, is small lightweight and portable. According to their web page looks like 2 mins per gallon of water. This one is 1/4 the cost AutoFlow™ XL Gravity Filter 10 L | Filters & Purifiers | MSR If it was me, I’d probably go with the cheaper unit, and treat the water with Aqua tabs for 100% assurance against bacteria, virus, and parasites.

I read through the reviews on their page and of course some folks are not happy with it or the warranty, when I went and looked for the warranty on the web site they were … evasive and said to call their team with help. But its the net, most folks don’t go back to the web site to say how great something is..

As a caveat, my friend used one of the higher end units for many years while doing Boy Scout hikes and such and never had a problem with it.

Not really. After seeing the larger boats, the Admiral and I were discussing possibly going with something larger and keeping the AR210 for inland watersports, etc. Maybe a Center Console or a Cuddy. Nothing too expensive and probably used, but something where we could take some trips up and down the Great Lakes and that has a much larger range than what I have now. Maybe take it down around the keys, etc. Just thoughts.

The simplest source of water would just be a 20 - 30 gallon tank. You could buy an off the shelve tank or have a tank made. Or you could use multiple water containers in lieu of a tank. Whether this is enough water, you would have to calculate your use, (drinking, head, shower, cooking). Do you plan to stay on the hook or use marinas for trips? Depending on how far you travel, you may end up at a fuel dock every other day or two, where you could also refill a water tank.

When I was exploring water makers, I was thinking about extended time at anchor.

Jim

Not really. After seeing the larger boats, the Admiral and I were discussing possibly going with something larger and keeping the AR210 for inland watersports, etc. Maybe a Center Console or a Cuddy. Nothing too expensive and probably used, but something where we could take some trips up and down the Great Lakes and that has a much larger range than what I have now. Maybe take it down around the keys, etc. Just thoughts.
If its going to be sea water then a Water Maker is your only options since they are designed for that function. The RO has to be ran at a certain pressure to be able to clear the salt which is there the costs come in because of the High Pressure Pumps.

Back