• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Power Port add on

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I am doing a few subtle but necessary modifications to my AR192. I am adding a dual USB power port to the driver side dash since I primarily run my stereo using my iPhone for playlists or Pandora, I bought a Ram Mount suction mount for the phone and it works great. What I am missing is the ability to charge the phone or keep it charges so I bought a dual USB socket for marine. It looks similar to a cigarette lighter but it has dual USB ports, one is a 1 amp charge the other is a 2.1 amp charge for an iPad etc. What I am trying to figure out before I tear into things, I have seen in a thread either on this site or the other that someone pointed out that there was a spare 12v circuit in the existing wire harness. Does anyone know anything about it? Is it fused at the fuse block behind the engine? Any help will be appreciated.

I bought a very similar dual USB from SeaBlue. It was a direct replacement for the cig lighter in the dash. I just unscrewed the cig lighter, unplugged the wires, plugged the wires into the new one, and screwed the new one in place.

I don't know about a spare wiring harness; I didn't see one of those. But with the USB, I didn't need a cig lighter there, so...

You could always tap into the Cigarette lighter wires.... the max you would be adding to the circuit is 3.1 amps.... not enough to hurt anything....

I've been deep into the wiring harness under the helm of my boat recently. There wasn't a bus bar or distribution block of any kind in it much less a spare 12v power source. For what you described splicing into the existing 12 charger port wiring seems like the easiest and least expensive way to go.

I ended up running new power and ground leads from the house battery/ switch to new distribution blocks under the helm. These provide power to an amp and fish finder as well as a dual USB power port which I installed on the port side. I kept the 12 power port/cigarette lighter style wiring intact so I could charge my phone on my side if i need to. Here is a pic of the USB power port I installed. My wife loves it and the Bluetooth device next to it. I'm sure both will be a hit with the crew as well.
image.jpg

I've had one of these sitting around waiting to be installed for a few weeks now. Been so busy with other things that I haven't had the chance to dig into it yet (among other things: scupper, lighting, a good cleaning). Hopefully the weather will cooperate this weekend and I can get a couple of these things done. Of course that's assuming I don't just go to the lake instead. lol!

We use these on almost all of our installations. The reason guys now want these is:

1. They have a standard 12 volt plug and never use it for anything. They ask to have it removed and replaced with a USB outlet.

2. We install many audio systems with Bluetooth. Guys want to charge when using this feature of possible.

Here is the one we use most often:

http://www.internationalmarineservi...Charger-Socket-2-USB-Ports-w-W-p/blu-1016.htm

Mike

I am thinking of tapping it off of the Horn Power since it is such a small draw (Max would be 3.1 amps at 5vdc) and see how it goes from there. I will post up some pics when I do it but like others, if I decide to work on the boat this weekend or go to the lake instead.... Although I will be camping at the lake next Friday through Monday and this would be a great thing to have then...

@PaulyB I go to South Holston.

@CFD3Captain I thought about that however the only port on my boat is on the pass side, nothing on the drivers so since I would have to add a power port I decided to just do the usb charger instead of the cigarette adapter.

I'm installing another Cig style 12V adapter as it allows me to plug in any number of other style plugs like that....I added one by the helm that I use for inflators (high current draw...so I wired heavy duty wire to it) and am planning on adding another in the back somewhere soon.

I like the idea of USB....but I think the cig port is more adaptable for now....as @CFD3Captain says....easy enough to insert a USB adapter into it.

@Ronnie what is that "Bluetooth Device" you referenced?

@Julian I had thought about that as well however the only thing I could think of that I would need to plug into a cig. style adapter is possibly a spot light but then looking at what is on the market today, most of them are cordless. Since I am moving my battery under my pass console, I will add a charge port underneath for a spot light and it will double as a HD connection for the ballast pump etc. The door will have to be open but it is only for a few minutes since I won't be filling ballast whilst under way yet...

@Julian I had thought about that as well however the only thing I could think of that I would need to plug into a cig. style adapter is possibly a spot light but then looking at what is on the market today, most of them are cordless. Since I am moving my battery under my pass console, I will add a charge port underneath for a spot light and it will double as a HD connection for the ballast pump etc. The door will have to be open but it is only for a few minutes since I won't be filling ballast whilst under way yet...

I plug in: Spotlight (charger or direct mains), VHF radio (perhaps the newer models have USB chargers...mine doesn't), 2 different Tube air pumps (Aero tube and Airhead generic), XM Onyx radio, and of course a USB converter....

But perhaps I need to just drill another hole in my boat....and install a dedicated USB as well!!! LOL

[QUOTE="

@Ronnie what is that "Bluetooth Device" you referenced?[/QUOTE]
@ Julian ,the blue tooth device is the little black knob next to the dual USB charger port. It is hooked up to the aux RCA jacks on the back of the head unit and once paired allows users to stream their music wirelessly to / through the stereo. This one is from wet sounds I got it from @rocknracing (thanks again) and users can control the volume (in a limited range) and move backward and forward within a play list. It does require power though but if you are already adding a charging port this is an easy supplement and one many guests can enjoy.

Last edited:
I am hoping my local parts store has some piggyback spade connectors so I don't have to tap or disturb any wires, just plug in-line with them, that way if I decide I want to change from a USB outlet to something else down the road it is easy as plug and play.

@Julian what is that called and where did you find it?

Back