• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Problematic Day

T. Turner

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well it finally happened to me. I sucked up a rope today. We had just got done tubing and decided to wakeboard for a bit. While my wife was in the water, my typical rope watcher and spotter abandoned his post to put on more sunscreen. He left my sister watching the rope and needless to say she didnt understand the importance of staying alert of where the rope was while we were stopped. When we took off the rope cinched up tight and her hand got caught between the rope and the boat.
Luckily from the information I have gained on here I recognized what had happened and killed the engines and grabbed my knife and cut the rope to free her hand.
Then we spent the next hour and a half cutting rope out of the impeller shaft. Luckily my wife has small hands and was able to cut inside the cleanout port easier than I was.
20170611_164329.jpg 20170611_175903.jpg

flyingnugget

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Well, i'm glad your sister is ok.

Been there done that. 2nd season with my boat I did the exact same thing. Tried pulling it out from the intake and then decided to cut that sucker out from the clean out port and keep on enjoying the day.

It's a right of passage LOL.. Now, my wife and I know that if we stop we either have a hand on the rope and are pulling in the slack onto the transom or the engines are off. Gotta have some fwd movement.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Congratulations on your promotion toward becoming a jetboat professional.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
wow, glad her hand didn't get stuck in the rope, never heard of that happening.

I believe some members here use a curved knife, easier to cut out the rope. A few more times and you can get the time down to cut out the rope to 20 minutes.

T. Turner

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, i'm glad your sister is ok.

Been there done that. 2nd season with my boat I did the exact same thing. Tried pulling it out from the intake and then decided to cut that sucker out from the clean out port and keep on enjoying the day.

It's a right of passage LOL.. Now, my wife and I know that if we stop we either have a hand on the rope and are pulling in the slack onto the transom or the engines are off. Gotta have some fwd movement.
Yeah she is okay, just a bit of rope burn and a line where the rope cut into her hand. She kept apologizing about us having to cut the rope. I told her that we can always buy a new rope but I'm not sure we could acquire her a new set of fingers. 20170612_183437.png
We took her out for dinner and bought her a margarita to "numb the pain."

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good job getting ice on that!

T. Turner

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I believe some members here use a curved knife, easier to cut out the rope. A few more times and you can get the time down to cut out the rope to 20 minutes.
Yeah I'm definitely going to buy a knife with a small hook blade because it would have been much easier with one.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I keep a couple of single edge razor blades handy....the kind that go in scrapers. They are sharp, small, and the risk of cutting yourself is minimal since you are just using one hand.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You only bought one margarita!

(In all seriousness, take she wasn't hurt)

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Seconding the use of razor blades. I have sucked up 2 ropes ... hey I am a slow learner don't judge ;-)

My mits bearly fit in the cleanout tube, so nice stabs with the razor have done the trick for tightly bound rope. Glad you had the presence of mind to cut the engines and get unstuck. Welcome to the sucked up a rope subgroup.