• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Proper breaking in. How bad did I screw up?

chris oftedal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Stupid me followed the break in procedures to a T. First 5 minutes idle. Next 30 under 5k rpm. Unfortunately, I thought that was the last step. I failed to realize the under 6k for next hour. I ran the boat around 7 possibly a little more for about 30 minutes. I never ran WOT. How bad did I screw up?

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
There are a million opinions on this (on every forum, on everything that has a gasoline combustion engine). I would be willing to bet you did nothing wrong and didn't damage anything.

chris oftedal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks. I feel like a freaking idiot and can't sleep. Brand new boat :(

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have a buddy that is a Corvette fan....he "drives it like he stole it" from day one and never had an issue. I couldnt do that cause I am kinda anal about things like that, but I agree....especially since you did the first few steps.....I wouldnt worry a bit....have a beer and haul ass!!!

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Didn't I read somewhere yamha test drives all the boats and some people have this really high max speed loge on computer. Sounds like yamaha doesn't follow the break in procedure either.

chris oftedal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks everyone! This forum is great

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My break in procedure for any engine is warm up, full throttle bursts, then longer full throttle bursts followed by rest periods, then 3-10 seconds at wot a few times, and that's it. There are lots of articles on the net about wot break in procedure and using the pressure to better seal the rings.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The biggest thing for a break-in is not maintaining the same RPM for long periods but rather varying RPMs. You'll be fine.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Stupid me followed the break in procedures to a T. First 5 minutes idle. Next 30 under 5k rpm. Unfortunately, I thought that was the last step. I failed to realize the under 6k for next hour. I ran the boat around 7 possibly a little more for about 30 minutes. I never ran WOT. How bad did I screw up?
Every how it's made show I watch with engines shows them testing engines on bench or dyno to validate max performance up to spec. They drive the high end cars all out on a track. I saw nothing about a break in period first. I wouldn't think you would have issues