• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Pump lube plug is seized

jdmackes

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I just purchased a Polaris Le2100 with an Optimax 250 M2 drive. I was told by the the place that previous owner serviced his boat, that everything was done when it comes to winterizing and lube last year. I wanted to take a look at it myself and I also wanted to get a good luck at the impeller and wear ring, but I've found that the pump lube drain plus is seized up. The vent one was a little tight but that opened up with little issue. I've tried using pb blaster and an impact screwdriver tool, using a breaker bar (that just stripped the plug more than it was before) and using an impact gun with a bit (but that made the bit explode). Can I use heat or would that damage anything within the pump? Does anyone else have any ideas? I'm questioning if they really could have done the lube if this plug is so stuck (and two of the torx screws to necessary to remove the trim plate are so stripped I thought they were hex screws, but I don't see a reason I couldn't use heat on those).

Photos may help....im not at all familiar with this pump.

I have a bigger 'impact ready' bit coming soon, but have made no progress using the impact tool and penetrating lubricant. I'm gonna try letting the boat warm up so that the lube heats up and maybe that might loosen things a little, but I'm not super hopeful. I doubt anything would get hot enough to damage anything in the pump as long as I concentrated the heat on the plug, but I just wanted to make sure/see if anyone else had any suggestions.

I don't think applying a reasonable amount of heat is going to hurt anything, unless there is an oring seal under that screw head. Regardless, that's not a big deal to replace. If someone installed the screw with loctite, heat will be the preferred method of releasing the screw as well.
Try placing a beefy flat head screw driver on the head of the screw and pop it with a hammer fairly hard a few times. Sometimes this will loosen up the bond between the two metals. then proceed with trying to remove it with an impact with light to moderate force.

There is an oring seal under the pulg (or at least there is supposed to be) but I plan on replacing the plug anyway (as long as I can find the replacement part online). I'm gonna try again with the impact wrench, but lower the force so it hopefully doesn't blow up the bit this time.

So heat doesn't seem to help either, I can't think of any other options at this point. I'm gonna call around to some marine shops around me and see if maybe they could get it off; I'd assume they're better outfitted for something like this and have more experience and options at getting seized and corroded bolts and plugs out.

Must have been attached with Loctite red or something similar. Their video of taking apart red Loctite connections shows it needs quite a bit of concentrated heat to get it. How long did you heat it and with what? You need to melt the plastic...

I tried heating it with a few different things, but they were just what I had around the house. The first one was a butane torch (but one that is used for cooking and stuff, so I dunno that it can get hot enough) and the other was a propane torch (but just a little torch adapter that goes on top of a camping propane canister). These had worked for me before when I used them on my car, but that doesn't mean they will work now. I tended to heat it for about 30-60 seconds, maybe a couple of minutes at the longest. It never got red hot or anything though, and honestly seemed to lose its heat rather quickly as I could touch it within a few seconds of stopping the flame. I'm gonna call around and see if one of the shops here can just take care of it, but if not I'll try and get an actual propane torch and give it another shot. I'm getting tired of breaking bits though, broke another two yesterday.

Check out
. That is a MAPP gas torch he is using and I think that he is getting that thing pretty darn hot.

Understand what you mean, tho, with breaking the bits. I tried to get the bolt of my TV's off once. No dice. Impact wrench didn't even get it to think about moving...

Back