• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Questions/ opinions wanted on wet slip

Skysurfer2010

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have two options for boat storage for the season. My first is what I've been doing for the past three years. That's to keep it at a marina on the trailer about 35 minutes away without rush hour traffic. This marina is very nice, has a large boat ramp, and provides electricity even for boats on trailers. It's also guarded by park rangers 24/7. I can easily get the boat off and on the trailer pretty quickly even when alone.

My second option which is what I thought I decided on for this year is to wet slip it at a marina 10 minutes away. It's so close I could take a taxi to it which means if I wanted to just go out and have a few drinks on it (without leaving the slip) I wouldn't have to worry about driving home. The downside is that there is no boat ramp here (closest one is 20 minutes away driving) and I'd be keeping my trailer an hour away (at my parents house) so anytime I'd want to get the boat in or out of the water it will become an all day affair that I won't be able to do alone.

Here are my concerns-

#1 - I just spent all day yesterday cleaning and waxing my boat. It honestly looks almost as good as the day I brought it home. I'm concerned that after a season in the freshwater no matter how much cleaning I do the hull and jet pumps will never look as good as it does again. Am I over worrying this one?

#2- the mooring cover. I just bought a brand new one this season so getting another cover isn't an option. How much of a PITA is it to get into an L dock and then put the cover on? I assume you have the bumpers out, back into the dock, put up temporary dock lines, then put the cover poles up (having to remove a dock line around each cleat to put the cover pole straps on and then putting the dock line back on the cleat) and then throwing the mooring cover on (again having to remove a dock line from a cleat to get the openings on the mooring cover around the cleat and then yet again putting the dock line back on). And then finally I assume readjusting the dock lines. Am I over thinking this? Also I go out alone often or with friends unfamiliar with boating so often times I'll be doing this without help. It seems like a ton of work to get the cover on and off at the slip.

#3- I don't think anyone can offer much help with this one, but I usually pick something up in the jets 3 or 4 times a season. It's not that often considering I probably go out on average 30 times a season. However, there were a handful of times that I was unable to get something unstuck on the water. I'd limp back to the ramp and throw it on the trailer. It would then typically dry out and I'd be able to remove whatever was stuck every time. If I wet slip getting it back onto the trailer won't be an option and will be an all day affair due to no ramp at the marina and where I'll be storing my trailer. I guess I'm just thinking out loud and wondering if this will be an issue.

I really want the convenience of having my boat closer. It'll also be cool to just go out and relax on the boat while at the slip. And last season I convinced two friends to buy boats. We often go out together and tie up. I'm single and my primary use of the boat is to go out with friends. I found last season that a lot of friends no longer wanted to drive 35 minutes outside of the city to my marina when they knew they could hop on my other friends boats just 10 minutes outside of the city at the marina I want to wet slip at. It would be really cool having all three boats at the same marina.

Sorry for such a long post. Any thoughts?

Can you install a boat lift at the marina? Either a front mount or a side by side could work and it will eliminate the concern of build on the hull.

Putting a cover on while in a boat is a pain, but can be done. Just make sure you fold it so that you can start from the stern and finish at the bow. However, this means you'll need to put her bow in versus stern in.

The marina doesn't allow any attachments to the piers. I was originally going to purchase a sunstream v-lift, but I'm thinking the jetboat might go up for sale next year. I'm thinking of getting into a 32' - 38' cabin cruiser next year so I don't want to buy a lift and then resell it in a year.

I don't think going bow into the slip will be an option. The finger pier only extends roughly 14'. I'd never be able to get the mooring cover over the back transom unless I back in. I'd actually prefer to slip it bow forward but don't think that's a possibility.

I can provide some of my experience. I had our boat wet slipped at a marina for four years and cleaned it twice. Yes it will put stains and growth on the bottom of the boat which I didn't like. The ability to just go out any time and not deal with ramps was the plus for me. We went out all winter as well (at least once a month). I was going to put in a lift but we have now moved to our own dock and she is on a lift there. The marina did have a ramp which was great to your point if you have to pull her out for fixing something or cleaning her hull. Having an all day event to do that I would not like.

I backed into the ramp and even though the slip was covered I still put my cover on her. I put the cover on from the front to the back and just skipped it right over the dock lines. I didn't put in a poles since there was not real water coming in. I could uncover and cover her very fast. We had a dock box that it stayed in when not in use.

If you are picking up debris that often and have to pull her out to clear it I would not be happy if it took all day to do that.

Are there other marinas that have a ramp or at least a lift to pull her out of the water for you?

Good luck!

I wet slip at a marina with covered slips. There is no way I would choose this option without a boat lift. Also I hardly ever use the trailer. You will pull it out much less than you think. I would be willing to bet you can also store the trailer at the marina for an additional fee?? Mine has a gravel lot for the trailers that's an additional $10 month.

I've wet slipped mine for the last two years. I take it out about every six weeks to clean the hull. I love the convenience of having the boat in the slip. We can walk or bike from our house to the marina and we often take the boat out just to go for ice cream. We would never do that if we had to launch the boat. My hull still looks great after two years in the water.image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

What are using to clean the hull with. Looks great

I have kept mine in a wet slip for 3 years now. It is a pain to clean at the end of the year but the convenience is great. I cover bow to stern with no problem.

Never had any major problems covering the boat in a slip. As others have said...start from the bow and just roll it back. Try it on your trailer. The key is rolling it carefully from the stern when taking it off so you can easily roll it back on.

The debris in the pump issue sounds the toughest one to deal with.....I wet slip and never have to pull the boat for debris, but our lake remains pretty clear all the time.

Can't beat the convenience of the wet slip.
Cleaning the hull is a PITA but you have to decide if it's worth it for the convenience of having your boat ready when you are.
Ours is on a lift because of the spider algae in our lake which I will never deal with cleaning again.

Been wet slipping since we bought the boat new in 2010. Still looks great. Love the convenience and extra use I get out of the boat.

Use it. Enjoy it.

When it wears out buy a new one. YOLO!

Put a good coat of wax on the hull and it will clean up. Also, if you have a sandbar or somewhere you can stand in the water, take a soft brush and scrub the hull in the water occationally

Put a good coat of wax on the hull and it will clean up. Also, if you have a sandbar or somewhere you can stand in the water, take a soft brush and scrub the hull in the water occationally

I see a lot of people do this at the sandbar and it is what I would do to stay in front of it. I would also look for a closer place to store the trailer. For what you will spend in gas in the location you are considering, it would probably pay for itself.

Back