• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Quick question ... Wife forgot to turn engine off when pulled out of water

HawkTX

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ouch!!! Backed down and she pulled on to trailer. Pulled up 10 feet and got out and walked to back of boat and both engines were on. I quickly yelled "turn em off"!!! She did quickly. I would say they may have run out of the water maybe 15 to 30 seconds max. Got back to the place we were staying and both cranked on and turned them right off. Is there anything I should be concerned about. We are going out tomorrow. I'm kind of nauseous about it because I'm always so careful to turn them off once I hit the trailer and never turn them on until we are in the water.

Any advice is appreciated.

No big deal tom. That's not long enough to hurt anything.

Oh good. I've kind of been stressing the last few hours. Tracy feels so bad. I told her if it's broke tmrw we will slap it on the trailer and take it in. I'll report back when we hit the water tmrw. What a great day on the lake other than that.

Your good. No worries. Are you saying you do not start up engines after you pull it out of water and rev up slightly. Just curious since I thought that was normal procedure.

Your good. No worries. Are you saying you do not start up engines after you pull it out of water and rev up slightly. Just curious since I thought that was normal procedure.
No I actually do that, just a quick rev and the turn them off. This was pulling her out 10 feet and getting out to pull the plug and strap the back and realized she had both engines on. In my highest pitched girl voice I yelled "turn em off". LoL

You're fine. I fire up my engines at least a half dozen times to blow out the water in the exhaust. It pretty a pretty common post retrieval procedure. Sleep well!!

Give your wife a kiss and tell her all will be fine.

The wife loads the boat on the trailer and by design she leaves the engines running. Once I get a few feet up the ramp and the jets are out of the water she rev's the engines a couple of times to force water out of the exhaust. Both engines run for about 15 seconds and no more than 45 seconds out of the water. We have been doing this for 4 years and never had a problem.

Hope you slept well.

We've done that a couple of times....no worries. Don't want to test this, but at idle it will take a couple of minutes or perhaps more before the heads get too hot....

Cool. Thanks for all the info. It was like 30 to 40 secs max. Heading out on the lake at noon to test her out.

Even if you got an overheat light, which you didn't, you would do no damage as long as it was turned off soon after getting the overheat indication. No harm, no foul. On the MR-1's Yamaha states 15 sec without water is safe. In engineering terms they really mean you can go about three times that without doing damage. They just give shorter intervals for consumers.

Good to know. She said there was no warning lights because I asked. I think we are good. I was just a bit paranoid right after it happened.

Good to know. She said there was no warning lights because I asked. I think we are good. I was just a bit paranoid right after it happened.
I know you're good. Kudos to your wife for driving the trailer.

I always have my wife pull me out engines running too. Once on the ramp and intakes/pumps clear of water, I am a revving SOB. I know I rev for more than 15 seconds total and never have a worry. I rev to the upper 2/3rds of engine rpm 5 or 6 times at least. No worries on idle for well past 15 seconds, but you might set off the overheat after a minute or two. I totally agree you have done nothing and you both can rest easy!

Back