• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

"Quiet ride" new engine mounts and coupler?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have seen it mentioned in several places. However, the Yamaha part numbers seem to be the same in new models equipped with quiet ride technology.
Are there new couplers/engine mounts that would provide for noise reduction? Could they be retrofitted into older boats?

Last edited:
same motors, but different hull design. seems like a retro-fit could be made. you have any pics??

I asked this question of Yamaha when I was with them in July. The answer was there is NO WAY to retrofit what they did to quieten down the boat. It wasn't one thing, but a long list of changes they made to insulate the engine compartment and reduce engine and hull vibrations and sound transmission. Sure you can make your boat quieter....lots have done it. But you aren't going to find a part they used and install it and go..."hey....there it is!"

Now the caveat....

Of course Yamaha WOULD say that as they want you to buy one of the new boats! I asked as I was disappointed they didn't apply the same sound abatement work to all the model for 2016....that would have been a smart move....they missed there for sure!

first thing I saw about the newer boats....I had to wonder... if the dead space in those storage compartments isn't a LOT of that change. IE: less room to develop resonant noise....

very cool, and whatever it is, it did the trick it would appear. :)

I asked this question of Yamaha when I was with them in July. The answer was there is NO WAY to retrofit what they did to quieten down the boat. It wasn't one thing, but a long list of changes they made to insulate the engine compartment and reduce engine and hull vibrations and sound transmission. Sure you can make your boat quieter....lots have done it. But you aren't going to find a part they used and install it and go..."hey....there it is!"

Now the caveat....

Of course Yamaha WOULD say that as they want you to buy one of the new boats! I asked as I was disappointed they didn't apply the same sound abatement work to all the model for 2016....that would have been a smart move....they missed there for sure!

Thank you, Julian. Good insights from you, as always!

I understand from just looking at part numbers that the coupler and engine mounts in the "quiet ride" equipped models are the same as in previous years. I guess I was confused by reading reviews such as this:
http://www.personalwatercraft.com/m...nnovations-in-its-sport-boat-lineup-1283.html
which claim Yamaha was " introducing a new coupler material in the link between the engine and driveshaft", along with other write-ups and blog entries.

Obviously these parts (the couplers and mounts) are just two small pieces in the big noise reduction puzzle...

Having put about 200lbs of sound deadening materials into my little SX190, modifying the jet pump etc. I am pretty close to being happy, but there is still some room for improvements and I am looking at anything at this point.

Last edited:
first thing I saw about the newer boats....I had to wonder... if the dead space in those storage compartments isn't a LOT of that change. IE: less room to develop resonant noise....

very cool, and whatever it is, it did the trick it would appear. :)

That is a very interesting point!
I have myself experimented with filling some of the large voids with various air bladders, not without (partial) success.

I must say though that I am not attempting to start another noise reduction thread!

How expensive are those parts? I wonder if you would find that Yamaha updated the materials while retaining the original part number if you order a set.

How expensive are those parts? I wonder if you would find that Yamaha updated the materials while retaining the original part number if you order a set.

I did not think of that... but that could very well be. Prices seem the same looking at the usual OEM parts suppliers, but they may still be offering the pre-quiet ride engine parts.
I think that is worth researching!

Thank you, Julian. Good insights from you, as always!

I understand from just looking at part numbers that the coupler and engine mounts in the "quiet ride" equipped models are the same as in previous years. I guess I was confused by reading reviews such as this:
http://www.personalwatercraft.com/m...nnovations-in-its-sport-boat-lineup-1283.html
which claim Yamaha was " introducing a new coupler material in the link between the engine and driveshaft", along with other write-ups and blog entries.

Obviously these parts (the couplers and mounts) are just two small pieces in the big noise reduction puzzle...

Having put about 200lbs of sound deadening materials into my little SX190, modifying the jet pump etc. I am pretty close to being happy, but there is still some room for improvements and I am looking at anything at this point.

is there a DIY thread on this or some pictures of the mod?

Thanks!

is there a DIY thread on this or some pictures of the mod?

Thanks!

@blacksapphirez There are many threads and a lot of information on various noise reduction DIY approaches. I may post mine with pictures whenever I get a bit more organized, but nothing exotic here!

Back