• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Recovery with only Starboard engine

Edward

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Had a great weekend on Broken Bow lake again. No wakeboarding this time as last time I sustained a concussion.

Everything was going good until we loaded up to leave. Walking across the dock to get to the boat when I see my key kit the deck and bounce into the water. I thought, no biggie, it floats, just lean down and grab that sucker.......except, it started to sink...and away she went to dark depths. Looked down and I'm hold the float section of the keychain. WHAT THE HELL?!!!!

Was able to load with only 1 engine running. Didn't power load and winched up the boat.

Spare set of keys in the truck are now on the list.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 25
I got tired of key chain fun, also. I now use a heavy cable tie loosely strung through the two keys with a couple of floats attached. Elegant and beautiful? No. Always performs as expected with zero drama? Yes.

I just never take my keys out of the boat. Of course, I don't leave mine in a slip or anything.

Had a great weekend on Broken Bow lake again. No wakeboarding this time as last time I sustained a concussion.

Everything was going good until we loaded up to leave. Walking across the dock to get to the boat when I see my key kit the deck and bounce into the water. I thought, no biggie, it floats, just lean down and grab that sucker.......except, it started to sink...and away she went to dark depths. Looked down and I'm hold the float section of the keychain. WHAT THE HELL?!!!!

Was able to load with only 1 engine running. Didn't power load and winched up the boat.

Spare set of keys in the truck are now on the list.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251220998823?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I haven't used this person yet, but need to. Email them the code off your key and they will cut/ship you a spare or replacement. A dealer can do the $ame too, I used a dealer last time, not again. I keep the single spare I have now taped up under the dash...some folks noodle it into the seat post......

I had several spare sets made by my local ACE Hardware. They have a guy who's a key whisperer that can look at a key and know which blank might work. They cut the keys on an old fashioned machine not the new computerized style. He used an SS-4. They made me 4 keys for $10.

I keep a spare set hidden in the boat just in case. I'm skeptical that even with the float attached that recovery of the keys would be probable.

I am now rethinking my setup. I keep a spare set in the truck so its only as far as the ramp is away. I am also looking at getting a set of these to replace the ball and chain and float. Loop them on and there is no way of the key to fall off and they are designed to float a lot more weight than a key plus if you take them out of the boat, you slip them on your wrist and voila! For next years Bimini trip I may get another spare set made, drill the hole to 5/16" and slip them on the back of one of the seat cushion bolts with the wing nut. Then they are well hidden and won't get lost....

I am now rethinking my setup. I keep a spare set in the truck so its only as far as the ramp is away. I am also looking at getting a set of these to replace the ball and chain and float. Loop them on and there is no way of the key to fall off and they are designed to float a lot more weight than a key plus if you take them out of the boat, you slip them on your wrist and voila! For next years Bimini trip I may get another spare set made, drill the hole to 5/16" and slip them on the back of one of the seat cushion bolts with the wing nut. Then they are well hidden and won't get lost....

Great idea on the floating camera wrist straps. Just bought a couple of these (very similar to item in your link) for $6.59 each. Cost me another $13+, you bastard! :D:D:D

In addition to keeping a set of spares, I keep BOTH keys on one float - and I tested it to make sure it floats!

IMG_3306.JPG

I had an auto inflating fob a while back, but I wasn't very comfortable with it since I wasn't able to test it...it's a one shot deal. When they hit water the capsule opens and it slowly inflates, bringing the keys to the surface. I wasn't too keen on that concept. Things have a way of getting caught up if they go down to the riverbed.

Reactions: Gym
In addition to keeping a set of spares, I keep BOTH keys on one float - and I tested it to make sure it floats!

View attachment 27490

I had an auto inflating fob a while back, but I wasn't very comfortable with it since I wasn't able to test it...it's a one shot deal. When they hit water the capsule opens and it slowly inflates, bringing the keys to the surface. I wasn't too keen on that concept. Things have a way of getting caught up if they go down to the riverbed.

With my luck I'd spill beer on mine, they'd auto inflate and my wife would know I was drinking.

I really wish Yamaha would follow Chaps route and have only one key for the ignition but then two starting buttons, makes so much sense, are you listening @yamaha

I use a single piece of nylon rope that has a floaty in the middle and both keys on each end of the rope (that is knot tied and melted). There are a few other keys on it as well. I like the idea of single key. I wish we had dual starting batteries and a push to start both engines.

Back