• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Relocated from Charleston to Raleigh!

Rushfan67

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length
Hey Everyone... its been quite awhile since I posted. Had a bunch of stuff going on just in life. We didn't boat much last year and early this year my wife got Covid and just after that was diagnosed with Stage 1 Ovarian Cancer and all of this right in the middle of our move from Charleston to Raleigh. It was a blessing to move to Raleigh as she had her surgery at UNC - Chapel Hill and could not have asked for better care and the best outcome possible. So in saying all of that, we are ready to get back on the water soon. My sister lives in Apex and they do a ton of boating on Jordan. I did some reading this morning here on the forums and it seems Jordan gets pretty crowded. Im not afraid of the crowded part, hell... Charleston is crazy so I'm used to it. Coming from Charleston my wife is concerned that she won't like boating here as much as Charleston. I am actually excited about it due to getting the boat back to fresh vs. salt. We are living in Morrisville so it looks like both Jordan and Falls are close. I don't mind trailering a bit to get to a better experience so that brings me to my question. What are everyones thoughts on Lake Gaston? Also between Falls, Harris and Jordan which one is everyones go to? Sorry for the long post, like I said its been awhile since I posted so I am keyboard happy...LOL.

Last edited:
Welcome to the area! Happy to hear your wife is doing well, between UNC, Rex and Duke we have excellent options for treatment, and follow-up care.

We live in Apex as well, mostly do Jordan with occasional trips to Harris. Haven't done Falls. A lot of people like Kerr and Gaston as a day trip.

Jordan was pretty crowded last year due to extra people with boats plus some ramps being closed. This year all ramps are open which may be better than last year. In "normal" years it's really not that bad. We quite like Jordan but of course will be a different experience than the coast. Most of it is 20+ ft deep, the coves are shallower so in the dead of summer the water does get pretty warm.

Harris is smaller but a good option, we've mostly gone to Harris when the Jordan level is so high/low that the rangers shut the ramps. I seem to remember more annoyed fishermen on Harris than Jordan while we tube :D

During the season it costs a few dollars to get into the park, you might want to get the seasonal pass for $60 which gets you into Jordan, Falls, Kerr and probably others.

Happy boating!

Jordan has a few beaches as well. One or 2 you can get to by boat. And by beaches I mean actual sand. So that may be a good segue into lake boating from ocean/ICW boating.

Last year was only bad due to the amount of ramps open at Jordan. The lake is so big it's easy for you to find your own place with few people in it. There's also party cove if that's your thing.

Lake Gaston is hands down my favorite lake. It's turning into mini Lake Norman fast, though. A couple of restaurants on the water with docks that you can pull up to, as well as it being pretty deep so it stays fairly cool. Water is clearer than Jordan as well.

I love pre Covid Harris lake. We're only a few miles from the ramp and it was nice to be able to do short days at Harris on Sunday's. Now it's so busy you'll be parking in the grass and waiting forever to get in/out. It's also a tiny lake, so regardless where you anchor be prepared to be tossed about by large wakes regularly. Harris is also deeper and no underwater forests, so you get a lot of the wake boats.

I've taken my ski a ton to Falls and it's fine. Pre-covid the free ramp was nutso, and you'd often wait in lines for a while getting in/out. Not sure what they're like post covid.

@Rushfan67, welcome to the area! We've been here about 6 years but just got our boat last fall so we're still noobs to the boating scene here (last time I had a boat was as a teen in VA but that was a long time ago). We live close to Jordan so that's the only one we've been to so far but we're looking forward to checking out Falls, Harris, Gaston, Kerr, Hyco, Badin, and Tillery, though we probably won't make it to all of them this year.

@suke, where's the party cove in Jordan you mentioned? Not sure if it's our thing or not but curious to check it out at some point.

We have never gone on Jordan, but have boated Falls (our boat is in a slip at Rollingview Marina), Kerr and Gaston. Kerr is the biggest. Gaston the busiest as it has houses on most of the shoreline. Falls is close and usually not too bad....especially if you keep away from the free ramp at Bartons Creek.

Welcome to Raleigh!

@Rushfan67, welcome to the area! We've been here about 6 years but just got our boat last fall so we're still noobs to the boating scene here (last time I had a boat was as a teen in VA but that was a long time ago). We live close to Jordan so that's the only one we've been to so far but we're looking forward to checking out Falls, Harris, Gaston, Kerr, Hyco, Badin, and Tillery, though we probably won't make it to all of them this year.

@suke, where's the party cove in Jordan you mentioned? Not sure if it's our thing or not but curious to check it out at some point.
it's worth a look every now and again. It can get pretty rowdy, but there's also some cool boats to see.

That's the location.
35°41'29.6"N 79°03'44.8"W

Not sure if this link will work:

Welcome to the area! I keep my bot at Crosswonds so boat on Jordan all the time. I might of had a beer or three in party cove. Rarely go there anymore because I’m always pulling kids on the tube.

We have never gone on Jordan, but have boated Falls (our boat is in a slip at Rollingview Marina), Kerr and Gaston. Kerr is the biggest. Gaston the busiest as it has houses on most of the shoreline. Falls is close and usually not too bad....especially if you keep away from the free ramp at Bartons Creek.

Welcome to Raleigh!
Hey Julian

Whats the best ramp to use at Falls? We went by Jordan yesterday and visited a few of the ramps to see what they were like.

Hey Julian

Whats the best ramp to use at Falls? We went by Jordan yesterday and visited a few of the ramps to see what they were like.
If you are looking for a quiet ramp, I like the one at Rollingview state park (not so good if its windy from the north though).

Back