• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Removing blowout plug cover.

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
When I was installing my cupholders on the swim deck I lost a drill bit. I stuck my arm through the hole I just made but couldn't feel it anywhere. Was thinking about pulling that cover over the blowout plugs and was wondering if it anyone knows if it sealed and what kind of a mess I might get into if I want to retrieve that drill bit. If you all say that there isn't anything back there that the drill bit can damage being tossed around then I won't worry with it.

Thanks!

You probably do not want anything extra clanking around the bilge but there are likely 2-10 self tapping screws hanging around in there. It is a pain to put that cover back on as the silicon has to be stripped off and resealed with new silicone. There is also always a stripped screw to fix.

Look on either side of your bilge pump in the mouse hole. Bigger things usually end up there.

If you can live without the bit, don't bother-there is nothing it could hurt. I would try a shop vac or magnet hunt first. One tip I learned here was to put pantyhose over the end of the shop vac....so you don't have to dig around in the canister for anything you catch!.

I would go fishing with a supermagnet. There is nothing in there a drill bit could damage. Cam.

If you can live without the bit, don't bother-there is nothing it could hurt. I would try a shop vac or magnet hunt first. One tip I learned here was to put pantyhose over the end of the shop vac....so you don't have to dig around in the canister for anything you catch!.
Great idea on the shop vac screen. I will be using that one in the future.

I kind of figured that there wasn't too much there to worry about. Just pissed that it fell off in the first place. It will bug me forever that I know it's there if I don't get it out. Will have to try all of these ideas once I'm back from vacation.

Jim,
I just pulled that cover off yesterday. It only took a few minutes and it wasn't sealed. No big deal.

@Chillypilot ... thanks for that!! Did you loose a drill bit too? ha! Just kidding!

Didn't loose a drill bit, but my wife says I have a few loose screws:)

I'm putting in a stainless steel scupper. Got the old one out just haven't had time to put the new one in.

Last edited:
Back