• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Replacement Bimini - Sunbrella or other?

Jump Right In

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I may need to replace my bimini this year, or I should probably say choose to replace my bimini. I could maybe get one more year out of existing one, but I also need to replace a pole that snapped last year. So a couple of questions for the group, including @jetboater4life and @JetBoatPilot as I know Derick has done every upgrade imaginable and Will always comes up with cool items. Does anyone know were we can get poles made online? The one from Yamaha is about $100 and needs some rivets put through it and I wondered if there was a place online you could just specify length?

Second, if you have had a custom Sunbrella bimini made to match your existing pole structure, what was the cost? I currently have a 2010 212X and if your have recently update your entire bimini structure, I could also be interested in acquiring some of your old poles?!

And finally, any other suggestions when considering the bimini replacement?

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Last year I had a local marine upholster make me a new Sunbrella bimini top, my poles are in good shape. The cost which included a matching storage boot was $325. The one thing she added that the factory does not have (at least mine did not) is zippers on the pockets that go around the support poles. Now if I have to take the new top off the poles all I have to do is unzip it, no longer do I have to take rivets out to take off the top.

The shop that did some hull repair on my boat highly recommend this person. If you don't know a marine upholster, contact your Yamaha dealer and they can probably recommend one.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The sunbrella is a more UV resistant material and seems to be more desirable, it comes in different weights, but it will cost more than the Surlast material that was your original. I would suggest going to a local marine canvas fabricator. They will be able to replace the pole and recover your bimini in your choice of fabric. Or...you can order a new one from
http://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/oemparts/a/yam/5003a147f870021f60a11f15/bimini-top-carpet
It will be your choice as to how to go. The canvas and tubing will probably be around $400 if you can find someone to sell you the single leg instead of a set. A full new bimini poles and all is only $600ish I think. Shop around and see.

Jump Right In

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The other thing that intrigued by about a custom one was a different color. If I understand correctly, grey is the only color through yamaha. I have always like the looks of black ones on the inboards, but not sure if it would stand up as well with the additional heat absorption of the darker color. I guess like most on here, one thing that seems to make us addicts is just wanting something a little bit different when the opportunity presents itself.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Sunbrella is very durable, a black bimini top will hold up. On my previous boat, I had a dark green Sunbrella boat cover that stayed outside for 16 years and when I sold the boat the cover was still in very good condition. I went with a dark red on my new Bimini top and so far it does not seem to be any hotter under the top as compared to the factory grey top.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I need to review the diagram that Mel posted and look at the hardware I currently have to figure out what I want to do. Last year we didn't really need the bimini so it's not an urgent issue for me but I would like to get something that is complete so I have the option to use it.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I know Derick has done every upgrade imaginable
This makes me lol. I talk a good game but still have a long ways to go to get all the mods done. I haven't even touched my stereo system yet. I'm sure I'll need a lot of help from the board as I have never done any kind of amp,sub, or stereo install beyond just basic head unit or speaker replacement.
On tap for this spring are, dual battery install, seadek throughout, engine compartment noise mitigation, and install head storage. How is your head storage mod working out?

Jump Right In

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Okay, so please keep all the comments coming, especially prices paid for custom sunbrella cut-outs as I am leaning in that direction. Let me know what style you think looks best... (1) plain black (2) plain red (3) something with stripe or (4) what about something with an "X" sewn in it? I did see a really cool one online with a checkerboard pattern to match up with a donzi, and was going to post it but can't seem to locate the picture again. Anyway, there are some thumbnail examples below, and the red 212X below is the same graphic pattern I have. (my boat is still in storage, although hopefully for not much longer)

ngvmmh.jpg
005-Crop-1A--A.jpg 323158_p_t_640x480_image02.jpg BIM-AERTWR-BK-2.jpg Bimini-Top-Stripes-1024x679.jpg No5-Straight-Stripe-with-extra-trim-colors.jpg

Jump Right In

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@jetboater4life If you are referencing the stainless aircraft cable I installed for hanging purposes, it is working out very well (or at least it did last season). Certainly was uncomfortable trying to attach the nuts to the underside of the tower, but what a great way to organize the area. Our hardest thing up until then was keeping the adult life jackets organized as they obviously don't get used as much as the kids (who are required to wear). I have my perfect pass install scheduled for when the boat returns which should also include running a + and - feed to a switch at the helm. Sounds a bit like you... I have a box of upgrade items to install, and at some point it would be smart to quit buying items for the box until I finally locate the bottom.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yep that cable is what I was referring too, I have a link to your thread in my offline mod list. For power regarding the perfect pass I don't recall running an extra line. I think I tapped off of whatever was recommended in the PP manual from under the dash. Running a line is a better solution for long term. My perfect pass worked well last season. Only issue I had was having it oscillate around the set point for wakeboarding. I believe this had to do with the cables binding so I have some work to do it find the best placement. 10mph for surfing had no issues, 30+mph for skiing no issues. Only at 20mph for wakeboarding would the problem occur. It eventually would settle out, but I usually manually intervened with the throttle to dampen the oscillating.

Jump Right In

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
"Logo Red" or even "jockey red" would be very close, I really don't know what way i am leaking right now. The black one with the red stripe down the middle looks pretty sharp too, but it may also look like "too much"... I guess that is why I have asked the experts!

No5-Straight-Stripe-with-extra-trim-colors.jpg

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Shell Island boat.JPG
I would go with just red if it were me, mine is red so I may be a little biased.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Surprisingly, out of all the pics I have of the boat, my wife says I'm obsessed, this is the best one of the Bimini. It's the stock one...I assume.
image.jpg

Jump Right In

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I do not believe that is the stock one (although I do not claim to know everything about the AR230 either). I know my 212X bimini zippers around the wake tower with one zipper on each side of the pylon. Also, I always thought that the stock covers only came in gray. Based on your comment, @Wayloncle I presume you are not the original owner?

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nope, 3rd. Originally was purchased in TN by a lady for her and her daughter, then a couple from Marietta, GA bought it and kept it for a year until I bought it from them. I assumed it was stock since the boat is like show room condition, has always been garage stored and everything else is stock, the bimini boot has YAMAHA on it, if it isn't stock they did a great job of making it look that way!

RumDiet

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sunbrella comes in many, many colors and shades - I stay away from the dark colors - I previously had a very dark navy cockpit cover and the heat build up was so bad that I could not touch the metal parts for a while after taking it off. Green seems to attract seagulls and their associated detritus . . . You could go with red, black or a gray on your boat - Gray would be cooler temperature wise than the darker colors. Any competent marine fabricator should be able to make you a new bimini and replace any missing/damaged poles - or even design the whole thing - which they have done for the newer 22 tower boats. I would think cost would be comparable to what Yamaha charges for the set up - maybe a few bucks more - but in my mind well worth it. You may have trouble finding someone who can do it right away this time of year.

Joel Caron

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just had Dallas Canvas (http://thedallascanvas.com) build a replacement bimini Canvas for my factory bimini poles. It was about $370 + tax for a Sunbrella Canvas with a boot.

Attachments

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yamaha has made many different color biminis over the years. Grey, black, blue, Red that I've seen. Mine is black and is holding up well, but I might go with a different color if it ever wears out.