• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Replacing decal on my 230...any advice

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I scratched up the bottom decal on my 2008 SX230 and want to take it off and put on a new one. I was going to use a hair dryer to remove the old one and then clean the area with some rubbing alcohol. Anyone have any advice on what is the easiest way to re-install the new one? I was thinking of using painters tape to outline where the old one was and to use as a guide. This decal is fairly long and I don't want to screw up as it is also about a $90 decal.

Thanks!

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would apply it using a mild soapy water sprayed all over the boat and sticker. It will be able to slide around until you squeegee a section. Keep
squeegee-ing the water from the center outwards until all water is gone.

Look on YouTube for a video about applying vinyl lettering.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks fellas!! One question @Murf'n'surf ... so this decal will have an adhesive that will work with water??

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
They sure make it look easy @Julian ... it did give me an idea that I could section it off with multiple hinges and do it a little section at a time.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The soap/water solution simply allows you to position the sticker. You squeegee the water out and the sticky backing adheres to the surface. This is the way vinyl lettering, stickers, window tint, etc is applied.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Having applied countless big and small stickers, I would not try the hinge method without water on a big sticker.

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks @Murf'n'surf ... that's exactly why I ask questions.

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I recommend acetone after Goo Gone or other adhesive remover to remove the residue. It will get the gel coat nice and clean, ready for the new sticker. And don't forget gloves.
You ARE going to record this, aren't you?:rolleyes:

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I recommend acetone after Goo Gone or other adhesive remover to remove the residue. It will get the gel coat nice and clean, ready for the new sticker. And don't forget gloves.
I think it should be a requirement to wear a go-pro on ANY mod....especially this one....lol

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My wife bought two 4x6 foot vinyl stickers for her classroom at work a while back, she had two sheets of plexiglass to stick them on and mount to the wall. she had a couple co-workers helping her do stuff and I was in another room, then I hear "Waylon, can you come help for a minute?"...I should have ran all the way home.

The guy peeled the backing off the WHOLE sticker and tried to start at the corner of the glass, wasn't even lined up straight, not a spray bottle of nuthin anywhere around. When he saw a bubble or it started getting out of line he just pulled it back off which stretched it out.

I told him I'd take care of the rest of it, it was a complete pain to get that the rest of the way on, static is not your friend in that situation. It turned out ok after I got a spray bottle with water and an actual squeegee that came with the stickers (the dude was using his ID card and making creases all over).

I have no other advice than what has been mentioned already, this just reminded me of a day that I should have stayed home:)

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I think I can get my hands on a little acetone, just happen to know a guy that knows a guy :cool: As far as recording, I guess I could give it a shot. At least if I mess up you can all see what NOT to do :woot:

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think I can get my hands on a little acetone, just happen to know a guy that knows a guy :cool: As far as recording, I guess I could give it a shot. At least if I mess up you can all see what NOT to do :woot:
No pressure Jim...but your outcome may influence whether or not I try anything like that. The plan right now is to remove all the old dated stickers from my boat. I was thinking about a wrap but can't decide between Saran or Reynolds. :confused:

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm not real worried about getting them off as I have already removed most of the warning stickers anyway. I was a little surprised to see how much these decals are though. Cheapest place was PartsPak.