• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Review: www.doityourselflettering.com (www.diylettering.com)

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
To be clear I have ZERO affiliation with this, or any other boat lettering company. . . . this is an independent review of my recent personal experience.

I just had the most AMAZING experience working with the fine folks over at www.doityourselflettering.com.

After my initial contact with another boat letting company mentioned here I was forced to do some searching around. . . . as they just weren't getting what I was trying to accomplish.

This is my 3rd boat, and I am in the 3rd season of ownership. . . . but this was the first time I ever named one. Needless to say since it took so long to get here I wanted the name and the lettering to be perfect (also, for those of you that know me on here it's more likely attributed to my OCD)

Like most, we really wanted a unique name that hadn't been done before (as far as we could tell) which as I am sure most of you know is no easy task.

We settled on the name:

21977_John Miccio-Proof4.jpg

We arrived at the name because I work from home for the past 10-ish years, and have been with my company for the last 15. . . . So this is a bit of a play on words/abbreviations.

Fast forward to my initial call with www.doityourselflettering.com. I spoke with a gentleman by the name of Goshen and explained what I was trying to do. He got it right away and told me to email the concepts to them at: sales@doityourselflettering.com.

(I did have to email them 4 different times with different file formats because my email to them was being blocked due to size restrictions. The initial .pdf I was sending was NOT getting through. I remedied this by sending them a jpeg instead and making a size adjustment)

I sent them over the mock up I made by copy and pasting into a picture I took from the images made on their site:

As I am sure you can tell the difference between the mock up above and the proof. . . . you can imagine we went back and forth a few times to tweak the design.

Once I sent in the email I received my first proof from JoyAnnett. Once received I realized there needed to be some tweaks to the color, and re-sizing of the check mark to the right so I called in.

When I reached them I asked for Joy, who was on another line. . . . I told Shawn that I was working with Joy and he said it didn't matter, that he would be able to pick right up where she left off and assist (reducing the turn around time).

I explained to him the changes I wanted made to the proof, which he processed and got back to me. In the meantime I noticed the spacing did not appear to be completely uniform. . . But before I could advise him he had the new proof in my hands.

I called him back and explained what I was seeing with the spacing. . . . he measured it and concurred that some corrections would be needed.

Once THOSE adjustments were made the lettering was perfectly spaced, but the gap between the "Z" and the check mark at the end had increase to double what it should have been. So, I brought it back to them one FINAL time for adjustment.

Now through ALL of this back and forth I was obviously courteous and cordial, but there wasn't even the SLIGHTEST hint of frustration or annoyance with me or my requests/corrections/changes. Everyone I spoke to was extremely helpful and just wanted to ensure I got the lettering the way I wanted it.

I received the above inserted proof today and am having the new boat decal and (2) stickers, (1) for each tow vehicle all overnighted to me for delivery tomorrow. I will come back and update this once received and installed. . . . but so far the experience has been excellent.

Search words: Boat Name; Boat Lettering; Vinyl Lettering;

Last edited:
I also used them and had an excellent experience. I had a logo already so that was easy, but would recommend to friends

I had a great transaction as well, I used the user friendly design your own and played with the font, angle, shadow, ect. Liked what I saw,clicked order now. Arrived in 3 days. "Peel & stick"

I ordered my boat registration numbers from them and it should be here Friday. Went with 3 colors and premium 3M cast vinyl so it should look good and last a long time.

I had a great transaction as well, I used the user friendly design your own and played with the font, angle, shadow, ect. Liked what I saw,clicked order now. Arrived in 3 days. "Peel & stick"

Yeah, I tried the design your own approach. . . . but I was unable to get the shadow on the "Out of Off" in grey while simultaneously having the "vz" in red. Additionally, the "light grey" shadow is the only one they show on their site, but the were able to darken it for me.

The key take away for me is that they will work with you to customize it however you like, adding in features or graphics not shown on the doityourself side of the site.

Got the name on this past weekend. . . . . Prepped the area as described and still wound up with some bubbling and binding (hard to tell in the pic). I am pretty certain this was MY fault as the product appears to be quality. But here's the kicker: I reached out to DIYLettering and told them of MY mishap and asked them if I could get a discount on another one since I just ordered.

Apparently, they have a NO HASSLE installation guarantee. . . They sent me out a replacement AT NO COST. Now I just have to strip this one and try try try again.

Boat Name Final.jpg

I used them too and when I discovered that they'd removed the top of they Y in the shadow I contacted them and they sent out a whole new one to replace it. I think it came out really well, and you can see the missing shadow in my signature pic as I haven't had time to take a new one. Highly recommend them.

Back