• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rusty spark plugs

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I jusy find itnhard to believe you have that much rust on your plugs running every one to two weeks AND all the rust you have in your engine compartment.

Something doesn’t add up.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I jusy find itnhard to believe you have that much rust on your plugs running every one to two weeks AND all the rust you have in your engine compartment.

Something doesn’t add up.
a leak in the engine bay and moisture in the exhaust water box. thats my conclusion

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
a leak in the engine bay and moisture in the exhaust water box. thats my conclusion
Glad you have it under control.

But ff you are getting that much moisture in your cylinders from the water box to cause your plugs to rust like that with relatively frequent use, then I would still be worried about premature wear on the top end of that engine.

I've had several boats and never saw plugs rust like that when everything was functioning properly. I even had a '14 SX192 and it sat in a heated garage like FSH 210 Sport for 8 months out of the year without fogging and the plugs never looked like that.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Definitely appreciate the concern and I'll be leaving it at the dealership once the season is over have them go over it.

Last weekend with the new plugs.
1694097684850.png

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Even with revving the motor slightly to blow the water out It does not get it all out. Salt or fresh will not matter if its evaporation the salt is left behind. The combustion chamber is susceptible to corrosion due to the metals that are used and the corrosive gasses left over from normal operation. This motor was left outside for a month from a boat that was one year old I was astonished with how much rust had formed

View attachment 208059
Those cylinders have water lines in them…. Meaning there was standing water in them.

Last edited:

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Those cylinders have water lines in them…. Meaning there was standing water in them.
Yes the boat was at a junk yard with the parts sitting in the rain. Its showing how susceptible the combustion chamber is for rust corrosion. This is also a good example of why you would want to pull the plugs and spray fogging oil in them at the end of the season . I don't think @blacksapphirez has any issues with his motor no milky oil and hitting a good speed the exterior oxidation looks like the motor was not sprayed with oil like CRC 656.

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Yes the boat was at a junk yard with the parts sitting in the rain. Its showing how susceptible the combustion chamber is for rust corrosion. This is also a good example of why you would want to pull the plugs and spray fogging oil in them at the end of the season . I don't think @blacksapphirez has any issues with his motor no milky oil and hitting a good speed the exterior oxidation looks like the motor was not sprayed with oil like CRC 656.
Don't know how old you are.... or how relevant this may be...... but back in the day........

When engines were still running relatively high compression and the transition was being made from leaded to unleaded gasoline and lower octane ratings, detonation was becoming a problem with many engines. Especially engines running higher RPM's and heavier loads. One of the solutions at the time (before computer controlled ignition timing, fuel injection, knock sensors, etc.) was water injection.

Water injection systems sprayed water into the carburetor, or directly into the combustion chamber to cool certain parts of the induction system where "hot points" could produce premature ignition that causes detonation / engine knock. So literally water was entering the combustion chamber regularly.

I can say first hand that engines that were run regularly and used water injection, never had spark plugs that looked like the OP's or looked like your engine example when water was being introduced into the combustion chamber on purpose.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I run exclusively salt and my plugs look nothing like that.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Don't know how old you are.... or how relevant this may be...... but back in the day........

When engines were still running relatively high compression and the transition was being made from leaded to unleaded gasoline and lower octane ratings, detonation was becoming a problem with many engines. Especially engines running higher RPM's and heavier loads. One of the solutions at the time (before computer controlled ignition timing, fuel injection, knock sensors, etc.) was water injection.

Water injection systems sprayed water into the carburetor, or directly into the combustion chamber to cool certain parts of the induction system where "hot points" could produce premature ignition that causes detonation / engine knock. So literally water was entering the combustion chamber regularly.

I can say first hand that engines that were run regularly and used water injection, never had spark plugs that looked like the OP's or looked like your engine example when water was being introduced into the combustion chamber on purpose.
Another advantage to water injection was ultra clean combustion chambers.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
All that said, the water in those days was a very moderate amount and would evaporate and be exhausted before you could say, 'rust'. Even when you turned off the engine the heavier components would usually have inertia (if not runon) to clear out anything that was there.

Methinks to get such rusty plugs one must have water in there a) of some substance and 2) while it be not running.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Any chance your using some type of fuel additive ?

Even on the champion spark plug site they show pictures with a rust like tint on the plugs

A few members freaked out when one of the causes of milky oil on the MR1 was a breached exhaust manifold they could not comprehend that the water was going into the cylinder and somehow getting past the rings or past the valve and making the oil milky and over filling the oil slightly so that it spit out the breather. The cylinder was steam cleaned the piston top had all the carbon removed the spark plug looked cleaner then the rest no rust. The crazy thing was that the motors on several boats with this issue never hydro locked. I know first hand what water infiltration does on the MR1 motors. After replacing the manifold no more milky oil. @blacksapphirez I wouldn't be concerned if the oil is not milky and it runs to 48MPH enjoy it and don't worry

exh.jpg

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

Yes very early air plane engines way back when also used water to improve the HP and when water is in the combustion chamber it lowers the emissions Back when we had emission inspections annually I had a water injection setup for my old dodge van with the 360 engine that model did not even have a catalytic converter yet . I would hook up the water injector and drive the van to the inspection station in low gear at high r p m s to clear all the carbon from the exhaust and I would look at the inspectors facial expression and the mirrors they held under the van to see if I had any contraptions but in the end I was given a sticker.

The water box on these boats should have a way to vent because when the water evaporates it travels up the exhaust system and condenses in any of the cylinders that have open exhaust valves especially when they sit for a long time.