• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Search

Meach

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok why do we popo on new members who ask for help. Refer them to a thread or just bypass them. Certainly don't take 1 minute of your time to help a fellow boater... jet boater. Maybe he's scared...first boat etc. ALL OF US WERE THERE!!!!! MY second jet boat wouldn't start at the ramp. I was taking it to a dealer when I thought of the gas being turned off (seadoo) so let's be kind and considerat to new bees and HELP

Good advice! You’re right, I was there at one point and after several years, I’m still there in many ways. I don’t think I’ve seen examples of what you’re referring to but it must be present. Thanks for keeping things positive!

I know it's tiring of my boat won't start. Got a vibration at 2200 rpm. Even though I'm an old salt. Sometimes I just wanna ask a quick question. Isn't that what this forum is for? Otherwise start a new forum for people that are smart and experienced. Leave us dummies to ask questions

I understand what you’re saying. I don’t find it tiring personally. I think those posts made without searching the forum first to see if it’s already been answered is a result of not knowing how to search the forum or realizing the answer may be in the FAQ section. That was me yeas ago. I get it. Thankfully people always responded and helped me out anyway.

Absolutely
I'll answer any question asked. Guys wanna know how to launch load and drive their boat. I've seen guys new boat never been on the water have no clue. But back in 1969 that was me...

Hopefully your post will be a gentle reminder to everyone to maybe go the extra step if they can help someone. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Ok why do we popo on new members who ask for help.
I'll play devils advocate here.
?
Because I spent hours reading this and other forums before joining. If you need immediate help, post that in your question so readers know you're in dire need. But I can't stand lazy people who just want an answer to a question that's been asked a dozen times. And using the search function is always faster than waiting for someone to see your post and reply. Also I put in the effort to read and learn, why can't they?

I continue to be amazed at the time our experienced members (@FSH 210 Sport , @HangOutdoors , @drewkaree , @Cobra Jet Steering LLC and a long list of others) and the Admins spend providing detailed technical answers, helpful opinions, and links to threads that provide additional information. It's exceptionally rare that someone doesn't respond quickly, with valuable support and a positive attitude.

I agree. There are awesome people here with great opinions and answers. Shouldn't let a bad apple ruin the bunch. I read the forum constantly. I learned a ton. Well except for checking the lanyard when it don't start lol.

I know when I have time I try to help but if I have already posted about the same thing or something related to the subject I will refer to the search feature and tell people I Have several posts on that subject . I don't know anyone who is doing what you say after all if they did not want to help they would just say nothing. Remember the HOUR GLASS is tipped and some of us don't have a lot of sand to waste. Everyone is different

I am of the opinion that the more info you can provide in your question, the better the responses will be, the more accurate and helpful they will be, and great alternatives will be offered as well. This also likely corresponds to better searches that result in more solutions or answers.

The other part to the equation is realizing that you, as the questioner, bear some responsibility to help us help you, with as much - specific - info for your issue, so we can help. Something that I see overlooked on both ends is not processing the difference in years of the boat, either by the asker or the responder.

@Scottintexas has recently provided some great answers that took me a second to realize that it was a better answer than I had, because it related to his era of boat, and he's been through a lot of this. @zipper has a wealth of knowledge outside of even these boats, and the helpful posts of many come from basic troubleshooting steps, that many don't even grasp that they've passed over.

Troubleshooting is following a process, it's not specific to our boats, your car, house, etc... If I can offer help, I try, but breaking down the time all of the admins spends - unpaid - to keep this place as "pure" as it is, as well as everyone who helps others, that don't get closure from the help offered (to pass it forward to the next person), means I'm not going to lay out a lengthy response to help if someone isn't reciprocal. It's how we keep helping the next person.

Each side bears some responsibility, but realize that we're all human, and you may have caught someone at the wrong time. If someone is truly shitting on someone here (see ANY other internet forum for great examples), and you really don't find them to bring any value here, put them on ignore.

More pics. More info. Less guessing about what people are saying. Better results all around. Questions to refine what is being asked. Conversation is becoming a lost art, let's try to improve for the betterment of all.

I couldn't have said it better. Myself I get excited when I have an answer to someone's problem. But there are so many experienced boaters willing to help I never get to answer. Which is good.

Like @212s, I have spent countless hours reading up on our boats to figure a lot of things out when there’s a problem. I usually make it a last resort to post a question if I can’t figure it out myself by searching this forum and other online sources. I don’t mind helping others and sometimes it may seem like myself and others are coming off as smart arses or we don’t want to deal with them but we usually are trying to get the most info as possible to try to help resolve the issue. Questions such as “Why is the engine low on power” or “I have oil in the engine bay, where could it be coming from” with no other info are going to be responded to with questions. More details and troubleshooting from the original poster is going to help us figure out what might be the problem but it seems like there is less initial troubleshooting and more just straight to asking on the forum.

I posted this

1. Every year we welcome a new class, so first welcome to the jet boat world class of 2022.

Food for thought to the new Yamaha jet boat owners , there is a search function on the top right hand corner of the page, most questions you have were probably answered time and time again try the search function and gain valuable information that may just save you time and money avoiding...
  2. [IMG alt="Cobra Jet Steering LLC"]https://jetboaters.nyc3.digitaloceanspaces.com/data/avatars/s/0/207.jpg?1575769417[/IMG]
    It Was Bound to Happen with a Warning
    Every year I call it the class of whatever year it is now we are changing from the class of 2021 to the class of 2022 this is normal but learn to use the search mode and you will find all sorts of very valuable info.

There are some really great posts here…thank you @Coult45 for the kudos!

One of the few things I miss about my job was problem solving, but, the way my mentor taught me to solve problems was by asking questions, I’m eluding to @drewkaree ’s post about troubleshooting being a process, during my training and after learning some basics he would ask me a question about a new concept and I would answer that I didn’t know and my mentor would say, sure you do and I’m going to show you how and would proceed to ask me some basics questions which I would answer, then I’d be able to apply those basic answers and leap ahead to answer the question about the new concept. This is why I will read new posts about topics I’ve already learned about with the hopes of learning new basics to improve the ability to troubleshoot and improve my intuitive abilities.

Having said all the above, I totally agree with @212s about reading through posts to learn on your own. Again referencing my career, once my training was done and I had passed all the tests and I was on my own I went to each one of our substations, receiving stations and read all of the manuals that came with all the equipment, as well as all of the entries in the log books which in some cases went back to the 1930’s. Having all that knowledge along with the training I had allowed me to solve problems when as my mentor put it, “when it’s two O clock in the morning and raining sideways and crews are looking to you to assist with an outage you will be able to find the problem even if it is out of your skill set and you’ll know which additional crews will be necessary to effect permanent repairs and in the meantime use different system configurations to get the power back on”. I eventually became the trainer after he retired and taught all new system operators the same way my mentor taught me. So I expect others to do as I did when I first came to this site and put in the work=fun work and read through all of the posts about their boats in the different forums to learn as much as they can.

I was a moderator / administrator on a dirt bike website who’s membership spanned the globe, and on that website it was expected of members who were asking questions to come back and close the loop after the issue was solved. Members who were non contributors, those who only came to ask questions but never contributed, were…frowned upon, and thereafter became contributors, or just went away, as you might guess I’m not a fan of non contributors. Any member on that site that was disrespectful to others Aka shitting on anyone was dealt with immediately by the admins regardless of their “status”, said offending member had to apologize and edit their post or they were banned. This kept things civil most of the time but occasionally some bloke would get drunk and go off the reservation and would later have to make amends, and the really great part was, that when amends were made everyone was good after that, AND acknowledged the apologizer for their apology usually with a short tale of a similar action they had done, even if they were not the plaintiff. Consequently 99% of the time all the kids played well in the sand box together. There is always a way to make your point without going on a personal attack.

I think this website is awesome as there is a wealth of knowledge here that spans the many years and models of boats that Yamaha has produced, as well as the members who bring their marine experience from outside the jet boat community. I was happy when I was able to start contributing and help others here, and helping people solve problems massages that part of mine brain that likes problem solving while at the same time allows me, to a small degree, to be a trainer and help people enjoy their boats.

I was a moderator / administrator on a dirt bike website who’s membership spanned the globe, and on that website it was expected of members who were asking questions to come back and close the loop after the issue was solved. Members who were non contributors, those who only came to ask questions but never contributed, were…frowned upon, and thereafter became contributors, or just went away, as you might guess I’m not a fan of non contributors.

Oddly, here's an example of the concept of closing the loop: https://jetboaters.net/threads/partzilla-sucks.42454/#post-662352

I also don't like the idea of shitting on a vendor when things don't work out - if there's reason, no doubt. All of that interaction with the forum here - I have doubt. This is an example of things that make folks less prone to helping others (or specific people), and why there's responsibility on BOTH sides to be good members. Admins have to deal with enough spammers, we don't need to create spammers from legit companies that may have issues.

State your point clearly, fully & truthfully, and let the chips fall where they may. The "fully" part is where many fall flat. I like to point out when someone asks who was in the wrong when they're retelling an argument or discussion, that it IS possible for there to be multiple a-holes in the situation! ? "My friend stole the car from the drug dealer and the drug dealer shot him. That drug dealer should go to jail, he's a terrible person". Um, BOTH....

Back