• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sharks

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For those who boat in Salt Water or Brackish water, have you ever run into any large sharks, like Great Whites, Blacktips, Bull, etc. that have made you feel uneasy while boating, swimming or doing water sports? We are discussing doing some ocean/bay boating as well as the Keys, Carolina Coast and Bimini next year and one of the Crew(kid) has a phobia about Sharks. She wanted me ask people who boat there.

Last edited:

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
For those who boat in Salt Water or Brackish water, have you ever run into any large sharks, like Great Whites, etc. that have made you feel uneasy while boating, swimming or doing water sports? We are discussing doing some ocean/bay boating as well as the Keys, Carolina Coast and Bimini next year and one of the Crew(kid) has a phobia about Sharks. She wanted me ask people who boat there.
We pet sharks including one lemon shark.

Tempest

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The only time I have ever encountered a shark was when purposely fishing for them. Mako Blue shark Thresher and Hammerhead. With that being said however we were 25-50 miles out from shore in Long Island NY. On one occasion the already very dark water turned completely black under the boat. That is when we had realized a huge Great White had just swam under the boat... A little bit off topic but after fishing for shark you'll never fish for anything else again... Catch and release of course. I'll never get in the water to clean out an intake...

Last edited:

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’ve seen 3 this year in waters we frequent. One was a hammerhead. I think the other two were bull sharks, it was deep water so I couldn’t tell. Shark fishers catch big sharks all the time on the beach we go to on non boat days. We still go in the waters. If I know they are there we won’t swim but they always around down here in Florida. We stay in shallow water near the boat. One of those things that come with salt water. Respect the wildlife and avoid it when possible.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I grew up on the coast of NC and ran up and down the ICW my whole life. Never once ran into a shark while boating. Saw plenty of dolphins, sea turtles, etc....no sharks. Only time I ran into a shark was surfing. Friend saw a school of fish frantically moving about. Said "hey you want me to swim over into those?" Uhhhhhhhh, sure I guess. Paddles into school of fish.....big shark fin pops up. I swear I've never paddled faster in my life. I never did much of any ocean boating as we had a small tri hull boat growing up. Ran that thing all over the ICW and to sandbars though.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
caught many fishing never seen while in water swimming, tubing from boat.

Seen a few diving

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
No shark encounters for me, thank God I don’t have to boat, actually get into the water with sharks. However a few years ago my buddy and I were wading next to my boat in the Sacramento River when a sea lion that was sunbathing on a nearby navigation buoy jumped in and under the water. THis thing was 500 pounds easy. My buddy immediately got out of the water and into the boat, when I asked why he responded with, “Do you think you could take that thing?” I responded symbolically by getting in the boat.

On the Bimini trip thing, I’d love to go but don’t see it happening on my boat, logistics issues. Here is a story from last year that I don’t recall ever being discussed here. We have a member that was “attacked” by a shark in Bimini a couple years ago @Bruce .

Danielmailin

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
They will usually stay away, you only run a risk when spearfishing since you are killing fish and keeping them near you, and even then if you stand your ground they will swim away, unless is bull shark.

PeterB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Not sure if this will just scare her about other things or help her be more comfortable in the water - but Deer, cows, bees and even dogs kill and hurt many more people each year than sharks. That being said respect them and if you see a shark Stay away unless you are familiar with the safe ones like nurse sharks. Have her look forward to seeing dolphins turtles and all the other great sea animals!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
One of these guys, likely the lemon took the bait out of my hand and a little of my skin after the filming stopped when I was looking the wrong way. Entirely my fault.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@HangOutdoors, you should show this shark friendly video to your concerned crew member.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Shark attacks are extremely rare and typically a case of mistaken identity in cloudy water, early or late in the day.

Cows actually kill more people than sharks.

If it would help we could arrange a call with your crew and mine.

BeauSko

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Haven’t encountered any in the waters I boat in (brackish Ashley River, Charleston Harbor), off the coast of Charleston, SC. Lots of dolphins, though. Sharks tend to shy away from dolphins so it makes our crew more comfortable seeing them around.

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Do not let your family see this news story - only minor physical damage but permanent fear of the ocean. Although shark bites are very rare, this girl was: 1) afraid of sharks, 2) was her first time in the ocean and 3) she was bitten twice. Maybe sharks can smell fear.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
For those who boat in Salt Water or Brackish water, have you ever run into any large sharks, like Great Whites, Blacktips, Bull, etc. that have made you feel uneasy while boating, swimming or doing water sports? We are discussing doing some ocean/bay boating as well as the Keys, Carolina Coast and Bimini next year and one of the Crew(kid) has a phobia about Sharks. She wanted me ask people who boat there.
@HangOutdoors .....as a scuba diver I encounter lots of sharks every year. I am very respectful of the damage they can do. Most of the sharks you have listed will keep their distance. Except the bull shark. I had to kill one once (bang stick) they are vicious and totally unpredictable. I would sooner be in the water with a Tiger shark than a Bull shark. As a boater/ swimmer I would vacate the water if a Bull, Tiger or White showed-up.

Sealegs89

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have no clue if they work, but there is product called shark banz that is suppose to omit some kind of frequency or something that repels sharks. High chance it’s snake oil, but with how low the probability of a shark attack is, it may make them feel safer.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have seen lots of sharks in my time in the water. Scuba diving, snorkeling, swimming etc.

Last year I was bitten by a large nurse shark while feeding it in Bimini. Silly me didn't realize just how fast they can move and it grabbed the bait and my hand almost instantly. Fortunately @Sbrown was there to patch me up and life went on. 3 days later @Sbrown pulled into the marina with his hand patched up saying "you are right....they are fast". Nurse sharks have no teeth, but they do have very sharp cartilage on their bite plates.

The best way to get a serious shark bite is to spear fish. You effectively turn yourself into bait. Kill a fish and then swim with a dead or dying fish and sharks will have your attention.

In general being in the ocean is pretty safe. Sharks are not what I worry about. Jelly fish, fire coral and the like will sting you and be more troublesome than sharks. That said, when big sharks are around I let them have the ocean to themselves (except nurse sharks....which are harmless unless you feed them without understanding how to avoid an unintended chomp of a finger. Akin to feeding a horse wrong).

waternutt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
We typically see one or two sharks at the location we frequent when boating. They typically are smaller sharks (3-4 ft long, not sure what kind) and we see them along the shoreline almost within 15 minutes of setting anchor. I will get the wife and kids on the boat just out of respect for the shark as I know they are just looking for food. They swim of to deeper waters as soon as they get nearby. We have never had an issue with them, but we do respect what they can do especially since we have younger kids.

I personally have not seen one, but friends have seen a few hammerheads out there as well. We do see a lot of dolphins and rays as well. I enjoy nature except for sea urchins. Stepped on those twice...not fun.