• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Show us what you see!!!

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My classroom instructor was a racer. He went way too deep into curving the sail, changing the draft and leading edge, etc. I get it due to my background but all that shit flies out the window when you are trying to tack in a busy Chanel that has sail boats, power boats pulling tubes, and fishing charters hauling ass all around!!! It was insane yesterday afternoon.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My classroom instructor was a racer. He went way too deep into curving the sail, changing the draft and leading edge, etc. I get it due to my background but all that shit flies out the window when you are trying to tack in a busy Chanel that has sail boats, power boats pulling tubes, and fishing charters hauling ass all around!!! It was insane yesterday afternoon.
Agree, all that stuff only gets you a couple tenths of a knot in speed anyway. The good part is that you have the ROW over all that traffic, especially on a starboard tack. The scary part is not knowing if all other motorized traffic knows that, or is even paying attention.

Example below, starboard tack and all.

20220501_090409.jpg

Just remember…When in doubt, let it out.

Last edited:

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
No chill for me. Changing the passenger side front CV driveshaft on our 2013 Subaru Outback 2.5. It started clicking a couple of weeks ago. When I took off the axle nut and pulled the splined spindle out of the hub, I could see the tear in the rubber boot.

6D2CDE3A-2959-4A00-BF3F-3516510F6E88.jpeg
260265A5-B694-439C-8228-0F3C152148C0.jpeg

To get the axle out I released the two camber bolts holding the hub to the strut. The top bolt has the offset built in it to adjust the camber of the tire.

9832F2B9-450E-41F4-9EF9-6704816843CD.jpeg

I marked the position of the bolt in relation to the strut before taking it apart so I could put it back where it was. I used a spring punch.

F78397E1-210A-4C53-B469-8B9057973BA8.jpeg

D4658AFD-8820-4D29-BFD7-C29A0448DB90.jpeg

The old one came out easy enough and the new one went in quickly.

D7FFA91F-0F51-4FFA-B587-76A60625919A.jpeg

Last edited:

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Have not posted much recently as we have been camping. So here are a few pictures. The dead fox was found on a farmer’s farm. Not sure what killed it however it had a lot ticks on it and we know what they can do. The birds were injured and are kept by the Park Rangers. On the brighter side our granddaughter caught her fist fish but no pictures.[flag]

1C9FDCE1-F03D-4139-B828-5A248103AEA5.jpeg

0FF37FDF-D31E-44B7-B16A-A1CBBB2CD6C8.jpeg54377E49-4B85-48FD-952A-0DB12B4A4DB6.jpegADC0778B-2DA2-4725-B8F2-3B18F803625B.jpeg069DDC47-3DC6-482B-8489-272F2C40E40C.jpeg

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Starting on our bathroom. Hopefully the HOA doesn't drive by. LOL! It's all out of the yard now. We have found our bathroom subfloor is beyond unlevel. To the point they don't want to try and install the tile. To level the floor would take more weight than they'd like on a second floor. So they're recommending LVP.......no idea why as I'm in a bunch of meetings. Letting the wife handle it. As with any renovation just roll with the punches and figure it out.
IMG_20220501_195541253.jpgIMG_20220502_113222533_HDR.jpg
Working on the cabinets today too. Our house is a total wreck at this point.
IMG_20220502_104535891 (1).jpg

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@suke. LVP should go down much quicker than tile, but my understanding is that if the floor in uneven it will not correctly lock together.

What are they considering ‘unlevel’? Low spots, slanted, or something else?

LVP is a great product, I’m putting wood looking LVP throughout my new house except the bathrooms, where I’m installing traditional tile. Are they suggesting LVP that looks like tile?

Jim

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@suke. LVP should go down much quicker than tile, but my understanding is that if the floor in uneven it will not correctly lock together.

LVP is a great product, I’m putting wood looking LVP throughout my new house except the bathrooms, where I’m installing traditional tile. Are they suggesting LVP that looks like tile?

Jim
Agreed, the floor has to be even for LVP to be installed right.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We actually had the sail reefed yesterday due to the strong gusts. Man over board drills this morning.
So how was it? Have you lost that “lovin feeling”?

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Jim
It's a gradual slope. They're going to knock it down some, and it won't be noticeable with LVP. Tile guy has been laying tile for 30 years and he said he could totally do the tile, but could guarantee we'll have grout cracking issues in a few years. He isn't a huge fan of the LVT he thinks it looks like linoleum. We grabbed a few samples from where we're getting our LVP for our downstairs. I can see what he's saying. It could potentially look cheap when the rest of our bathroom is expensive and custom.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I'm no expert, but I don't understand why the grout would crack in a couple of years? The tile isn't laid directly on the floor, its usually done on a cement backing board which provides stiffness for the entire tile floor. The quality look of LVP varies. There is some that looks like linoleum, but there is some that you would have to look at real close to tell it wasn't vinyl. The most visual difference, at least to me, of the tile looking LVP, is that the joint lines may be much tighter and you wouldn't have the wider grout lines typical of tile.

Jim

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm no expert, but I don't understand why the grout would crack in a couple of years? The tile isn't laid directly on the floor, its usually done on a cement backing board which provides stiffness for the entire tile floor. The quality look of LVP varies. There is some that looks like linoleum, but there is some that you would have to look at real close to tell it wasn't vinyl. The most visual difference, at least to me, of the tile looking LVP, is that the joint lines may be much tighter and you wouldn't have the wider grout lines typical of tile.

Jim
It was our tile choice for our floor. We could go back and pick a different tile choice and it probably wouldn't have a problem if they gave us dimensions to stick with. We've already picked an LVP for other parts of our house, so we'll go with what we're doing in other places. Talked more with our tile guy and he said he would install LVT if we wanted, and looked at our choice. Said it looked worlds better than previous ones he's done. After going back and forth we just decided to go with the LVP. They use the schluter system and it would have had an underlayment of that. I've installed tile in my past, but in this case I'm relying on the dude that has a vast amount of experience compared to me.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I was asking about your second day sailing. The Lovin feeling thing is a joke. Maybe you disliked the second day. Just following up.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was asking about your second day sailing. The Lovin feeling thing is a joke. Maybe you disliked the second day. Just following up.

Ahh....I missed that. Heck no, I'm hooked. Day 2 was a little more difficult because we had periods where the wind would completely die. I mean, nothing. You would look out to shore where the flag poles were and the American Flag was literally hanging straight down. We spent day 1 tacking only. And based on reading the book and the morning classroom they make it sound like jibing is harder and very risky or dangerous. Well, on day 2 all we did was jibe. Holy crap! Way better, much easier, why would anyone tack unless they had too!!!!! We practiced heaving too and then the man over board drills had to be cut short due to lack of wind and an approaching thunderstorm. I go back June 10 for ASA 103 and 104. We will be sailing the bigger boats like yours for that class. The couple I went through the class with was really cool. similar in age to my wife and I with 2 daughters just like us and similar ages. I spent a lot of time talking to them. The husband was a 26 year retired Airforce Pilot and is now a United pilot flying the 737s. They ended up signing up for ASA 103 and 104 for the same June time period so we will do that class together. I could totally see my wife and I sharing a bareboat charter with them in the future. The problem now is I need more!!! I wanna get my hands on a main sheet and jib sheet really bad and scratch that itch!!!!!

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ahh....I missed that. Heck no, I'm hooked. Day 2 was a little more difficult because we had periods where the wind would completely die. I mean, nothing. You would look out to shore where the flag poles were and the American Flag was literally hanging straight down. We spent day 1 tacking only. And based on reading the book and the morning classroom they make it sound like jibing is harder and very risky or dangerous. Well, on day 2 all we did was jibe. Holy crap! Way better, much easier, why would anyone tack unless they had too!!!!! We practiced heaving too and then the man over board drills had to be cut short due to lack of wind and an approaching thunderstorm. I go back June 10 for ASA 103 and 104. We will be sailing the bigger boats like yours for that class. The couple I went through the class with was really cool. similar in age to my wife and I with 2 daughters just like us and similar ages. I spent a lot of time talking to them. The husband was a 26 year retired Airforce Pilot and is now a United pilot flying the 737s. They ended up signing up for ASA 103 and 104 for the same June time period so we will do that class together. I could totally see my wife and I sharing a bareboat charter with them in the future. The problem now is I need more!!! I wanna get my hands on a main sheet and jib sheet really bad and scratch that itch!!!!!
The thing with jibing is that you are in following seas with the wind astern. It is really hard to recover if you become overpowered the boat will heal and broach the boat over. While tacking the wind is mainly from the bow, point of sail being close haul or close reach. If you get overpowered then, inclinometer +20° heal, you can let out the mainsheet to flatten out the boat. You can't do that on a down wind run, thats why jibbing can be more dangerous than tacking. Another factor is the angle of the boom. On an upwind close haul direction the boom is close to centered in the cockpit and will not swing from side to side as much on a tack however on a jibe the boom is much further to one side of the boat and if not controlled during a jibe it will swing out of control to the other side. Hopefully everybody is paying attention and ducks. Communication is key.
Heaving to is good if you want to have a lazy lunch.

Last edited:

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA