• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Show us what you see!!!

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Our offices opened up recently and I've yet been there, and really don't wanna go there. LOL! Interviewing for a new job and met with the team this week. One of the guys said "you're not going to make us come back into the office are you?". HAHA! Of course not cause I don't wanna drive 45 mins in traffic each way, spend $120 a month on toll road fees, and the gas in my truck to go in full time either.
That's why I took a pay cut for a job that doesn't require me to go into an office. My team is spread throughout the country and we can execute all our work virtually. As soon as the fiber gets run to our lake property, we will probably move there full time to enjoy the "Lake Life" when not working.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
That's why I took a pay cut for a job that doesn't require me to go into an office. My team is spread throughout the country and we can execute all our work virtually. As soon as the fiber gets run to our lake property, we will probably move there full time to enjoy the "Lake Life" when not working.
My wife wanted to move back to the beach where we grew up. I'm in my peak earning years and want to be as close to the bigger paying jobs as possible. Figure I have about 10-15 more good years before I start looking to slow down a little bit and take lower paying less stress jobs. Granted RIIIIIIIIGHT about that time my kids will be entering college. Sucks having kids so late in life. Honestly if I'm moving to the beach I want clear water and perma summer. Not exactly a big fan of our NC beaches. Water is murky and beaches are absurdly packed.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My company hasn't required me to return to the office and I've been in brazil for a total of 7 months since march 2020. I've missed the past 2 winters here in NYC. Anyways, my employer enticed me to visit the office by buying Indian food for everyone. They even sent an email inviting everyone "to celebrate mike's return from brazil" and "we will be ordering Indian food". I went in, caught up with everyone, flirted with the new girl, took 2 big trays of food home, and joked that I will see them next time they order food. I could probably make 5-10% anywhere else, but I really don't want to return to the office. I probably would spend 5-10% just on taking the train to Manhattan everyday and buying nice clothes. My plan now is to spend another Summer here in NY and then go somewhere else. Maybe Rio de Janeiro again.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Sounds so good. I sometimes toy with doing telemedicine.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My company hasn't required me to return to the office and I've been in brazil for a total of 7 months since march 2020. I've missed the past 2 winters here in NYC. Anyways, my employer enticed me to visit the office by buying Indian food for everyone. They even sent an email inviting everyone "to celebrate mike's return from brazil" and "we will be ordering Indian food". I went in, caught up with everyone, flirted with the new girl, took 2 big trays of food home, and joked that I will see them next time they order food. I could probably make 5-10% anywhere else, but I really don't want to return to the office. I probably would spend 5-10% just on taking the train to Manhattan everyday and buying nice clothes. My plan now is to spend another Summer here in NY and then go somewhere else. Maybe Rio de Janeiro again.
Our company only allows access from locations where employees live for security and tax reasons. My boss asked me to connect while I was in the Turks and I told him I tried but was blocked!!!! Loved that!!!

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
It's also been two years since I've been in the office. With our offices reopening, we have also just kicked off a six month pilot for many folks to continue to work remotely. I will likely return to the office in three months - to turn in my id, computer, phone, and retire! :D

Jim

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Our company only allows access from locations where employees live for security and tax reasons. My boss asked me to connect while I was in the Turks and I told him I tried but was blocked!!!! Loved that!!!
Security is something that concerns me. What if someone breaks into my house and steals my computer? It's something that is likely to happen in Rio. Then they would have access to our VPN and a lot of data. But the typical criminal isn't intelligent and probably would sell the computer for drugs. However, the chances were low because my house had the best security system that money can't buy - a house that looks extremely poor haha. My ex was trying to grow grass in front and I'd joke "stop, the criminals are going to think we have money"

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I think our remote work computers are pretty secure. We have two step authentication to even access our computers - a PIV (Personal Identity Verification) card with a 7 number PIN that is only known by the user + a strong password with a forced reset every three months. To access our VPN, once the computer is up and running, the PIN has to be re-entered for the network. In addition, we have security protocols for the storage and for reporting the theft of equipment.

Interestingly, there are some countries (China the largest) were we are not even allowed to take our work issued computer or cellphone as there is a concern of government hacking of systems. Travel to these countries require loaner equipment that is wiped upon return to the U.S.

Jim

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Enjoying the Sun on the leeward side of the barn.

A1C3C874-914A-4ABC-B950-57F21DE115B0.jpeg

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Mesa50

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Spartanburg, South Carolina Lake Hartwell/Keowee
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XE
Boat Length
Learning to sail in Kemah TX. Trying to make @zipper proud. Doing ASA 101 this weekend. Then 103 and 104 in June. First time ever sailing was this afternoon. I think I’m hooked. View attachment 176795
I love sailing. It’s quite a bit of work when you’re the only one on board who knows how to sail though.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Learning to sail in Kemah TX. Trying to make @zipper proud. Doing ASA 101 this weekend. Then 103 and 104 in June. First time ever sailing was this afternoon. I think I’m hooked. View attachment 176795
Love it, Ataboy, Lots of very nice sailboats in Kemah. In the picture above you will later learn about "reefing a sail" I was hooked at first sail in 2017, when my wife was taking ASA101, LOL. Learned a lot in the last 4+ years. You will be adding one to your fleet. I see this in your future. Let me know if you need any advise on the purchase. Not kidding. We bought our second sailboat first. 1991 Beneteau First 35s5. Then we bought a trailer sailor. a 1975 14' Oday Javelin that is a fun daysailor, cheap. We use the Bene alot more and when my wife is done making a new Sunbrella cockpit cover we will be selling it.

EDIT: You may change your mind when they make you do a MOB drill or a righting after a capsizing, depending on water temperature. Have fun...you will benifit from this knowledge.

Another EDIT: Boat prices are very high now. We bought our Bene in 2018. The survey said, lol, Boat value was $36,000 which is around what we paid. I checked NADA recently and with all the extra boxes checked, all the work we have done to her, the value has gone up to $70,000+ as of last week. And just a few years ago everybody was saying boats don't appreciate. This one has been going up since the day we bought her.

Last edited:

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Last edited:

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I love sailing. It’s quite a bit of work when you’re the only one on board who knows how to sail though.
I think my Dad did it right. Everyone who routinely sails on the boat should at least have the basic course. Maybe 1984 (?) Dad took ASA 101. Mom, my Sister, and I also took the course along with Dad. We all learned to handle the boat. This makes it both more fun for everyone and safer if there is an emergency.

Jim

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Love it, Ataboy, Lots of very nice sailboats in Kemah. In the picture above you will later learn about "reefing a sail". I was hooked at first sail in 2017, when my wife was taking ASA101, LOL. Learned a lot in the last 4+ years. You will be adding one to your fleet. I see this in your future. Let me know if you need any advise on the purchase. Not kidding. We bought our second sailboat first. 1991 Beneteau First 35s5. Then we bought a trailer sailor. a 1975 14' Oday Javelin that is a fun daysailor, cheap. We use the Bene alot more and when my wife is done making a new Sunbrella cockpit cover we will be selling it.

EDIT: You may change your mind when they make you do a MOB drill or a righting after a capsizing, depending on water temperature. Have fun...you will benifit from this knowledge.

Another EDIT: Boat prices are very high now. We bought our Bene in 2018. The survey said, lol, Boat value was $36,000 which is around what we paid. I checked NADA recently and with all the extra boxes checked, all the work we have done to her, the value has gone up to $70,000+ as of last week. And just a few years ago everybody was saying boats don't appreciate. This one has been going up since the day we bought her.
We actually had the sail reefed yesterday due to the strong gusts. Man over board drills this morning.

Last edited by a moderator:

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I think it has been in my blood for a long time. You know, son of a son of a sailor, kinda thing. My wife took ASA 101, 103 and 105. I read all of the material for these courses. But never tested. What put it all together for me was a sail trim course here on the Lake back in 2019. The instructor, Bill Gladstone is racing sail trim guru from North Sails University. It all came together for me in that 2 day course.

20190519_111509.jpg

20190519_111637.jpg

20220501_081820.jpg

Last edited: