• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ski locker drain issue

Grkspeed17

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Hey all! Just bought a new 2023 Yamaha 252SD. Been out on the water a few times now and on this most recent trip we really washed the boat down extra good. Noticed 4-5 gallons of water in the ski locker that collected from washing and it won’t drain. Checked to see if there was a plug in the drain and there wasn’t. I’m assuming the other end of that line is straight down in the engine compartment? (Pic of the drain plug below). That was closed but when I opened it up not a single drop of water came out. I even jacked the boat up on the trailer as high as I could to maybe give it a better angle to drain it towards the stern and nothing. Is there a different drain port maybe on this boat or am I missing something? The only thing I can think of is maybe something from construction was in there and flowed into the drain and blocked the drain from flowing but I feel like at least SOME water would have trickled by or it would have just slow drained through over time. The way the water is literally not going anywhere makes me feel like I’m missing a different end to this specific drain and that end is plugged. Any ideas?IMG_0701.jpeg

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm unsure of what the setup is for your boat, but you're referring to the ski locker and showing the engine compartment. Show a pic of the ski locker as well.

In many of these, the ski locker drains right to the bilge, the very bottom of the boat.

You reference opening the plug in the engine compartment, did you also remove the drain plug behind the articulating keel at the end of the day? If so, what came out? That plug on the transom is the one usually referenced when talking about jacking it up on the trailer.

Grkspeed17

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
All drains that I at least know of are opened. The one in the actually ski locker in floor, the one I referenced in the picture which is in engine compartment straight down, and also the transom/bilge plug on the outside of the boat. I always leave that one open while on the trailer so whatever water came out already left before trying to figure out this ski locker issues. I know this compartment is the lowest point of the boat so maybe it doesn’t drain unless there is maybe forward motion to push it back to the bilge? Idk. If I can’t figure this out I guess I’ll just shop vac the water out. Just trying to see if others have had this same issue.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
If your ski locker has water, check for obstructions in the drain. When these boats are built Yamaha is notorious for leaving a lot of scrap pieces in the bilge. I'm guessing something is got your locker drain clogged up. Try putting feeling it out with some weed trimmer line.

RE your picture, that's the drain for the area that stores contains your fuel tank, not your ski locker. You should have three different plugs to take out to drain your boat: Ski locker, fuel cell area, and transom. I've always run with ski locker and fuel cell plugs complete out.

Alexegan88

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Did you ever find a solution? Mine (2022 252SE) has the same issue. I removed the plug in the engine compartment, but still won’t drain.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
How about putting the nose of the boat up high, then add water to the ski locker to see if it drains out? This will also help to flush the bilge out. There was a lot of detritus from manufacturing in my bilge, I flushed it several times after being out on the water to finally get all of the stuff out. Isn’t there a drain in the head compartment too? Perhaps flush that area out as well.

Alexegan88

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
The bilge drains fine. It’s the ski locker, but can’t see where it drains to. We all thought it was the spot in the engine bay in the photo above. I unplugged that, but it still won’t drain. Tomorrow I’m going to pull up the floor board and see if I can inspect under the ski locker.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The bilge drains fine. It’s the ski locker, but can’t see where it drains to. We all thought it was the spot in the engine bay in the photo above. I unplugged that, but it still won’t drain. Tomorrow I’m going to pull up the floor board and see if I can inspect under the ski locker.
Did you try running a piece of line trimmer line down in there?

Grkspeed17

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I’m taking boat out tomorrow so I’ll check the compartment but I’m pretty sure it’s still gonna have water. My only guess is since that compartment is the lowest in the boat it needs the boat to be underway with the bow up higher than what the trailer Jack can put it to get it to drain? Maybe there is a high point in drain hose causing this? I noticed the main floor drain hose that goes across the engines and out the scupper valve had a big high point from the factory and wasn’t draining until I pushed it down to flatten it 🤦🏻‍♂️

Alexegan88

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I’m taking boat out tomorrow so I’ll check the compartment but I’m pretty sure it’s still gonna have water. My only guess is since that compartment is the lowest in the boat it needs the boat to be underway with the bow up higher than what the trailer Jack can put it to get it to drain? Maybe there is a high point in drain hose causing this? I noticed the main floor drain hose that goes across the engines and out the scupper valve had a big high point from the factory and wasn’t draining until I pushed it down to flatten it 🤦🏻‍♂️
High point in drain line is very possible. So the only way to verify this would be to pull the floorboard off and see if you can see it so that’s what I’ll try tomorrow and let you know what I see

Alexegan88

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Update, now I’m feeling much much worse. At least you won’t make the same mistake I did.

First I checked the fuel hatch and confirmed no “access” to see around or under the ski locker. It’s a flush wall.

There was still water in the ski locker this morning so next I tried putting a small drain snake (plastic) and although it was tight, could jam it, but it still was not draining.

So the genius that I am thought I could drill through the drain a bit and that would hopefully provide a large and unobstructed path to the bilge. What I did not realize is that drain is pretty much flush with the bottom of the bilge, so, when I drilled, I went right through the bottom of the boat. Talk about instant regret.

So I taped the bottom of the hull and pulled out some marine sealant and tried to fill up enough to seal the hole, but also not obstruct the bilge which is extremely difficult because you cannot see in there very well.

So now I have to hope it’s sealed well and doesn’t become a problem, I used a silicone sealant which says safe below the waterline, but I know that’s not a permanent repair. I used it because it supposed to be easy to remove as well, so I should be able to stick a bolt through and pop it out when it’s time for a more permanent repair with epoxy and a good bit of thickener so it can be sanded flush with the rest of the boat.

Just as important I am also back to square one with the drain. There just doesn’t seem to be any way to access the bilge to try and find obstructions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please someone make me feel better.

IMG_3815.jpegIMG_3817.jpegIMG_3831.jpegIMG_3832.jpeg

Last edited:

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Update, now I’m feeling much much worse. At least you won’t make the same mistake I did.

First I checked the fuel hatch and confirmed no “access” to see around or under the ski locker. It’s a flush wall.

There was still water in the ski locker this morning so next I tried putting a small drain snake (plastic) and although it was tight, could jam it, but it still was not draining.

So the genius that I am thought I could drill through the drain a bit and that would hopefully provide a large and unobstructed path to the bilge. What I did not realize is that drain is pretty much flush with the bottom of the bilge, so, when I drilled, I went right through the bottom of the boat. Talk about instant regret.

So I taped the bottom of the hull and pulled out some marine sealant and tried to fill up enough to seal the hole, but also not obstruct the bilge which is extremely difficult because you cannot see in there very well.

So now I have to hope it’s sealed well and doesn’t become a problem, I used a silicone sealant which says safe below the waterline, but I know that’s not a permanent repair. I used it because it supposed to be easy to remove as well, so I should be able to stick a bolt through and pop it out when it’s time for a more permanent repair with epoxy and a good bit of thickener so it can be sanded flush with the rest of the boat.

Just as important I am also back to square one with the drain. There just doesn’t seem to be any way to access the bilge to try and find obstructions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please someone make me feel better.

View attachment 205723View attachment 205724View attachment 205725View attachment 205726
If I'm reading you correctly, you siliconed the freshly drilled hole from the interior of the ski locker, is this a correct understanding of what you're saying?

You need fiberglass repair of that hole, most likely from the inside that can be accessed, and the outside, before you put it back in the water.

This doesn't help you now, but for those reading this in the future, there are SO many threads about this on the forums, yet NONE that come to mind about "my boat sunk", for water in the ski locker.

The overwhelming helpful responses are that the ski locker is the lowest point of these boats - it's an optical illusion from the view outside the boat - and that water in the ski locker is a SYMPTOM, not a CAUSE, of concern.

The ski locker water is simply an indicator that water is getting into your bilge from someplace, and your efforts have to focus on the how and where it's coming in, and thank your lucky stars you have the ski locker and transom drain to PROVE your efforts were successful.

PLEASE clarify if my understanding of your silicone application is correct, and do your level best to better describe what was done. Also DO NOT take advice that will be forthcoming as "if I do this, that should get me through the season", without at least considering that you added a hole allowing water in, that even Yamaha didn't think was a smart place to put one, and you need to fix that fiberglass first and foremost

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Guys with water in your ski locker, do this:

Moving to the front of the boat makes it LOOK like your boat is filling with water as it "rushes" into the ski locker. This is normal with water intrusion.

Move to the back of the cabin. Note that water WILL leave the ski locker, but not completely. This is because you have enough water in the bilge to fill up the lowest part of the boat (regardless of the optical illusion that it's not). The lowest part is your ski locker.

Now flip on your bilge pump, and stand on your swim deck. Note the pretty stream coming out of the side of the boat. Let it run until you hear/see it sputtering, and shut off the bilge pump.

Now go take note of the water that still fills your ski locker. This should demonstrate just how much water can be in the bilge. Find @Julian's leak thread, and start looking at all the areas that water can get into the boat. It's NOT coming in the ski locker, again, that's your INDICATOR that water is entering the boat from somewhere. Find it, fix it, remove the old water to verify your job is done

Alexegan88

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
If I'm reading you correctly, you siliconed the freshly drilled hole from the interior of the ski locker, is this a correct understanding of what you're saying?

You need fiberglass repair of that hole, most likely from the inside that can be accessed, and the outside, before you put it back in the water.

This doesn't help you now, but for those reading this in the future, there are SO many threads about this on the forums, yet NONE that come to mind about "my boat sunk", for water in the ski locker.

The overwhelming helpful responses are that the ski locker is the lowest point of these boats - it's an optical illusion from the view outside the boat - and that water in the ski locker is a SYMPTOM, not a CAUSE, of concern.

The ski locker water is simply an indicator that water is getting into your bilge from someplace, and your efforts have to focus on the how and where it's coming in, and thank your lucky stars you have the ski locker and transom drain to PROVE your efforts were successful.

PLEASE clarify if my understanding of your silicone application is correct, and do your level best to better describe what was done. Also DO NOT take advice that will be forthcoming as "if I do this, that should get me through the season", without at least considering that you added a hole allowing water in, that even Yamaha didn't think was a smart place to put one, and you need to fix that fiberglass first and foremost
My plan next weekend is as follows:

1. Remove the silicone sealant. Everything I read said unlike 5200 you can pull it out/off pretty easy. it even says that on the package which is why I used it, but as you’re suggesting probably better to go ahead with the permanent fix.

2. I will make sure the hole is smooth with a drill bit that fits perfectly inside and ensure there is a smooth surface to bond to. I will also take a wire pipe brush to the inside to ensure it’s nice and clean. I have acetone to help remove the sealant if needed.

3. I will then use a slightly larger drill bit to bevel both sides of the hole. This way, when the epoxy hardens, it forms a hourglass shape and is able to withstand significant pressures (or so I’ve read).

4. Sand the hull exterior around the hole (about the size of a silver dollar) to improve bonding of the epoxy.

5. I am using a thicken epoxy adhesive Six10. I will tape the bottom of the hull/hole with painters tape and place the epoxy in from the top.

6. Let cure for 24hrs and sand flat. I’m not worried about the gelcoat repair because it’s directly under the boat. I may also put a keel guard on which would go right over the top of it.

I think I should be ship shape.

I have done a lot of research on this approach, but if you or anyone knows of a better way or product let me know! It seems to be the consensus that thicken epoxy works better than 5200.

Last edited:

Alexegan88

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Guys with water in your ski locker, do this:

Moving to the front of the boat makes it LOOK like your boat is filling with water as it "rushes" into the ski locker. This is normal with water intrusion.

Move to the back of the cabin. Note that water WILL leave the ski locker, but not completely. This is because you have enough water in the bilge to fill up the lowest part of the boat (regardless of the optical illusion that it's not). The lowest part is your ski locker.

Now flip on your bilge pump, and stand on your swim deck. Note the pretty stream coming out of the side of the boat. Let it run until you hear/see it sputtering, and shut off the bilge pump.

Now go take note of the water that still fills your ski locker. This should demonstrate just how much water can be in the bilge. Find @Julian's leak thread, and start looking at all the areas that water can get into the boat. It's NOT coming in the ski locker, again, that's your INDICATOR that water is entering the boat from somewhere. Find it, fix it, remove the old water to verify your job is done
I think this is a new issue. The newer boats do not have the same drain plug as the older boats did. Also, we’re talking about the boat on the trailer with the bow up or down - It won’t drain even though the bilge appears dry. It usually only gets water in it during wash down - not when I am underway on the water.

Alexegan88

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
This is one of my sources: