• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Sound just stopped

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
So I was doing some yard work with the boat radio on. Radio was not that loud at all. All of a sudden the sound stopped. All you could here was a little "whistling" coming from the speakers. Radio turned on fine. I think the batteries were charged fully "Not positive". So I just plugged the MinnKota charger on and am waiting. Any idea what this could be if it ISN'T the battery?

Sound just stopped in the middle of a song.

That's what mine did once when my battery died. Thank goodness I have two in the boat because we needed to get off the water ASAP. It turned out that the battery must have had a bad cell in it because it wouldn't hold a charge after that. It would read 12+ volts on a meter but would drop severely when a load was put on it. Hopefully yours isn't as bad. But either way it's easier to find out you have an issue in the driveway rather than 10 miles out on the water.

Hoping I just need to fully charge the radio battery which is getting done as we speak...did you need to do anything with the amp as far as resetting it or turning it on again or did you simply swap batteries at the time and that was it

Hoping I just need to fully charge the radio battery which is getting done as we speak...did you need to do anything with the amp as far as resetting it or turning it on again or did you simply swap batteries at the time and that was it
I just had to change position on my battery switch to run from the other battery. I removed the dead battery and attempted to charge it over night, but it wouldn't hold. So my trip was seamless, I just didn't listen to the radio as much (while anchored) to make sure that I didn't drain the second battery too.

If not the battery, try a fuse in the Amp circuit, or if that is ok, an output transistor but that's a little out there for your problem because all channels would have had to have blown at once.... If not the battery, then the fuse is the next place I would look.... :winkingthumbsup"

If the above suggestions don't prove to be the problem, you may have a music critic for a neighbor.

Not sure why the fuse would blow. Music was not loud at all. Battery is charged. Same whistling noise, but no music. Checked the radio fuse...was ok............maybe I have to reset the amp somehow...Ill have to see how that is done bc im not sure if the amp has an on/off switch... WTFFFFFF !!!!!

Not sure why the fuse would blow. Music was not loud at all. Battery is charged. Same whistling noise, but no music. Checked the radio fuse...was ok............maybe I have to reset the amp somehow...Ill have to see how that is done bc im not sure if the amp has an on/off switch... WTFFFFFF !!!!!
I'm guessing when the battery got too low the amp's protect circuit kicked in taking the amp off line protecting it from low voltage. The fuses only protect against high current.

What he said! :thumbsup:
I'm guessing when the battery got too low the amp's protect circuit kicked in taking the amp off line protecting it from low voltage. The fuses only protect against high current.

So. Full battery now. Radio and both amps powered up as usual. The wed sounds eq however did not. This lies the problem bc the radio goes to the eq which goes to the amp. So no eq transmiting sound to the amp. No sound to the speakers. Not sure y the eq wont power up. It would always power up when i turned the radio on. Maybe the eq went ??? Dsnt seem to be a battery problem a all now.

So I called Wetsounds and spoke with the tech guy. He said there was a 3amp fuse in the wiring of the EQ. I looked at the wiring and found the fuse. It was a 2amp, not 3. Either way I replaced it with a new 2amp and it powered up immediately. Not sure why a small 2amp fuse would blow when the radio was not loud whatsoever. Oh well, So everything is back to normal. :winkingthumbsup"

It could be that the 2 amp fuse that was in there, was supposed to be a 3 amp fuse, and the reduced capability is why it eventually blew. If the manual says 3 amp and so does the tech, go with a 3 amp fuse. Another 2 amp will just blow again if 3 is needed. In any event, glad you found the issue!

Glad to hear you got if fixed. That a pretty cheap solution too!!

HAHAHHA You said cheap and solution in the same sentence. SO of course Radio Shack, West Martin, and Home Depot did not have the fuse. I had to go to a local hardware store. They ONLY had the fuse in a big kit...So I ended up spending 30 dollars instead of 3 !!!!!

HAHAHHA You said cheap and solution in the same sentence. SO of course Radio Shack, West Martin, and Home Depot did not have the fuse. I had to go to a local hardware store. They ONLY had the fuse in a big kit...So I ended up spending 30 dollars instead of 3 !!!!!
30? Ouch. Did you look at an auto parts store? That's where I usually get mine at. Either way though $30 to fix a boat isn't terrible.

At least I have enough fuses for any scenario I may come by either on the water or on land.

At least I have enough fuses for any scenario I may come by either on the water or on land.
Yup, now you can re-fuse anytime you want. :winkingthumbsup"

Back