• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sound system upgrade

Aaron Westbrook

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Thinking of changing out the standard Kicker system on my 2014 215. Any recommendations? I am interested in something that won't break the bank but will throw sound to the wake rider.

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Thinking of changing out the standard Kicker system on my 2014 215. Any recommendations? I am interested in something that won't break the bank but will throw sound to the wake rider.
Check with @ScarabMike, he put a JBL System in his 195HOI...

Scott E

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Depending on what your boat has, if your looking for sound to the wake area, adding tower speakers might be a good option. Does your boat have the speakers in the swim deck area? I installed JL Audio in my Seadoo, now looking at adding another pair of speakers and a sub.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If getting sound to the wake area is the goal you will want to get a pair of wake tower speakers with the horn tweeters these are designed to carry sound a good distance. Regular wake tower speakers with normal tweeters just won't throw the sound the same distance.

Boat~R~US

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I chenged everything to JL audio, and removed the 8" sub and installed a 10". I have 2 amps, one for the boat speakers, and the second for the sub, and tower speakers.
Mike, Have you really noticed an overall difference?

Do you have the links to what type style you selected?

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oh heck yea. The system installed in the Scarab's is nice, but remember its not the main focus for them. At the end of the day its an OEM system installed with a budget and profit in mind. They dont want to come back and have to replace blown speakers, amps, and radios. A properly installed aftermarket system regardless of the brand will always sound, and perform way better. Ill get you some pictures, and links later this weekend.

Mike, Have you really noticed an overall difference?

Do you have the links to what type style you selected?

Aaron Westbrook

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Great information all. My boat has tower and swim plat speakers. After a little looking around and pricing I am thinking amps, receiver, aux, and towers first. Then sub and full replacement in the boat. I'm considering rockford fosgate, does anyone have any experience with this brand?

Stumpo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I chenged everything to JL audio, and removed the 8" sub and installed a 10". I have 2 amps, one for the boat speakers, and the second for the sub, and tower speakers.
Mike, Any pics/ tips / write up on adding the Tower speakers? I have a 2015 195 HOI and just bought some JBL speakers and tower speakers to install. Are the towers pre-ran with wire?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

Aaron Westbrook

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Great information all. My boat has tower and swim plat speakers. After a little looking around and pricing I am thinking amps, receiver, aux, and towers first. Then sub and full replacement in the boat. I'm considering rockford fosgate, does anyone have any experience with this brand?
IMG_2889.JPG IMG_2890.JPG IMG_2893.JPG IMG_2894.JPG IMG_2895.JPG

OnTheLake

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
@ScarabMike Did you have to enlarge the cutout to upgrade the sub to 10”? I ordered the JL Audio 10” and plan to install it on my 195 HOI this weekend. Was not sure if the hole would still work (doubtful and optimistic).
I searched your threads to see if you posted the installation and could not find it. Can you point me to a link if you did post it? If not, any advice you can share?
Thanks,
-Warren

Franchise

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Did you guys have to add an extra battery when you added an amp? I was told I should otherwise I'd drain it pretty quick. We are typically hanging out at the sandbar on my lake and leaving the radio on for hours at a time.

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did you guys have to add an extra battery when you added an amp? I was told I should otherwise I'd drain it pretty quick. We are typically hanging out at the sandbar on my lake and leaving the radio on for hours at a time.
Depends on how big of a amp(s) your running. i have 2 JL 600 watt amps and can jam for 4 hours or so at 40-50% volume.

Franchise

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Depends on how big of a amp(s) your running. i have 2 JL 600 watt amps and can jam for 4 hours or so at 40-50% volume.
do you have an extra battery or is that off of one battery? i have the twin engine 215

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
do you have an extra battery or is that off of one battery? i have the twin engine 215
I am just running the 2 that came with the boat. Once i add a 8 channel amp ill add a 3rd

Franchise

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I am just running the 2 that came with the boat. Once i add a 8 channel amp ill add a 3rd
This may be a dumb moment for me but I don't think I've checked to see if my boat has 2 batteries (or one). I just picked it up a few weeks ago.

Surferd15

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
Since some of you on this post have upgraded. What is the wiring specs of the stock kicker system? For example my boat stock kicker system uses 2 200.2 kicker amps. These power 4 speakers each. Its it wired in a 4 ohm or 2 ohm load? Anyone know? Thanks.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If getting sound to the wake area is the goal you will want to get a pair of wake tower speakers with the horn tweeters these are designed to carry sound a good distance. Regular wake tower speakers with normal tweeters just won't throw the sound the same distance.
Totally agree! HLCD speakers are the only thing (short of a ton of conventional speakers) that will throw sound back to a wake boarder loud enough for them to hear. My boat is pretty loud now (3 amps, 12 speakers) and I asked the kids last weekend if they could hear the stereo (I was cranking the tunes) while tubing and they said "nope".

PapaBear

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I like the LED lighted up look... After I get my exhaust Manifold fix I'm looking for an upgrade.
Anyone have LED Fusions or LED JL Audio installed.