• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Spam (not the yummy Canned type)

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
image.jpg Is it just me or does it seem like there are a lot of these showing up? Do these people shake up a dictionary and just pour some words out in a post? Crap doesn't make a bit of sense.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah. It's spam. Just hit the "report" button and note that it's spam. The moderators make pretty quick work of it.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I just don't understand who clicks these types of links. If they weren't working, seems like they wouldn't try it.

Who says "Oh, Australia something.....lets try this link"?

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I never click the link or anything, I just read the post to see how jacked up it is:)

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I never click the link or anything, I just read the post to see how jacked up it is:)
I agree..I don't know who would. but it seems like if nobody ever did, then it's a waste of the spammers time. I guess it's the theory that if you put enough of them out there, 1% might get clicked.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
It is amazing how crappy their posts are. But they are probably paying by the click through, so any old idiot is hired to post drivel with their links in it. I guess if they gave them a template post, then the content would get blocked....so random crap gets through easier....

Such a waste of so many people's time....

But fortunately we've not had many get through, Xenforo (that is the software that runs the forum) has been great! Primarily the ones that got through were real people creating accounts....not autobots (so far).

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree..I don't know who would. but it seems like if nobody ever did, then it's a waste of the spammers time. I guess it's the theory that if you put enough of them out there, 1% might get clicked.
It's actually pretty amazing how dumb users can be sometimes.

The folks from the Industrial Control System Cybersecurity Emergency Response Team (a group from Idaho National Laboratory) refer to it as "Compulsive Clicking Disorder."

When I was out there for training, we had a Red Team / Blue Team exercise. Blue Team was the corporation that Red Team was trying to hack. The proctors of the exercise had special computers set up that would automatically click any link in any e-mail sent to them to simulate users doing the same.

So yeah, it works. And it works MUCH more often than anyone would think it should.

As an aside, if you ever have a week to spend on training with the ICS-CERT group (free if the Government thinks you qualify) I'd highly recommend it.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
the canned stuff isn't yummy.....

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
the canned stuff isn't yummy.....
I know, I haven't had it since I was a kid probably 30 years ago. But I remember I didn't want it back then.