• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Speaker installer Raleigh area

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Willing to put in the time. Since we don't have the boat yet, (have 2 deposits 1 local in VA 1 in MI)) not sure of all the placements or upgrades. I bought 4 stock WetSounds from someone on the forum, 2 of which will go in the helm on either side of the captains chairs, the other 2 not sure if they will be used or just spares. Tower speakers are definitely going in (Rev 8's probably). don't know how to pair up amp and or sub woofer. Would need to learn the proper installation of a house a battery and of course there's cutting/drilling the holes in the fiberglass. I'm not s mechanic but can tinker some.
So sounds like you will need:
  • 5 channel or 6 channel amp. 2 channels for tower, 2 for mid cabin speakers, and 1 or 2 for sub.
  • 2nd battery switch - I'd get the Blue Sea add a battery kit with ACR (automatic charging relay).
  • A single fuse for the amp, or a fuse block (so you can add more stuff later)
  • Wiring - both speaker wires, power wires and RCAs
  • Speakers for the helm, tower and sub.
Now you just need to see what your budget is to determine if you are going JL, WS or a less expensive brand.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
So sounds like you will need:
  • 5 channel or 6 channel amp. 2 channels for tower, 2 for mid cabin speakers, and 1 or 2 for sub.
  • 2nd battery switch - I'd get the Blue Sea add a battery kit with ACR (automatic charging relay).
  • A single fuse for the amp, or a fuse block (so you can add more stuff later)
  • Wiring - both speaker wires, power wires and RCAs
  • Speakers for the helm, tower and sub.
Now you just need to see what your budget is to determine if you are going JL, WS or a less expensive brand.
Much appreciated Julian. If I use a shop I obviously have to consider the cost of labor. I prefer not to mix brands but that's my hang up. Any particular wire harnesses I should use. Do you recommend using blue tape on the fiber glass prior to drilling? I will hit @Hoyt up also for any suggestions. I previously added a couple of accessories to our SeaDoo ski which required drilling, while I was apprehensive there were no issues.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Much appreciated Julian. If I use a shop I obviously have to consider the cost of labor. I prefer not to mix brands but that's my hang up. Any particular wire harnesses I should use. Do you recommend using blue tape on the fiber glass prior to drilling? I will hit @Hoyt up also for any suggestions. I previously added a couple of accessories to our SeaDoo ski which required drilling, while I was apprehensive there were no issues.
I've drilled with tape and without and not seen much difference. With Speakers there is always a wide bezel that covers any edge imperfections. I do always drill in reverse to begin with.

The biggest hurdle you will have to cross is how to connect to the existing system....are there RCA outputs? If not, then it gets trickier.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
I've drilled with tape and without and not seen much difference. With Speakers there is always a wide bezel that covers any edge imperfections. I do always drill in reverse to begin with.

The biggest hurdle you will have to cross is how to connect to the existing system....are there RCA outputs? If not, then it gets trickier.
To drill the speaker holes you start small then use a Dremel and cutting wheel?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
To drill the speaker holes you start small then use a Dremel and cutting wheel?
For 6.5" speakers, the hole needed is something like 5.5". You can buy hole saws that are perfect for this (here is the first one in the list on Amazon)

For bigger things like subs - yes, you drill a hole and then use a cutting tool. I use a Dewalt hole cutting tool like this (yes....you get to buy more tools....LOL)
1616600710510.png

The one thing you do have to watch out for is heat. I was cutting my 6x9 speakers into my old SX230, and noticed smoke.....and realized the dewalt bit was so hot it was smoking, and starting to melt the gel coat. So I started to go slower....take breaks (cut a few inches....stop for it to cool...start again). That was the only tricky part.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
For 6.5" speakers, the hole needed is something like 5.5". You can buy hole saws that are perfect for this (here is the first one in the list on Amazon)

For bigger things like subs - yes, you drill a hole and then use a cutting tool. I use a Dewalt hole cutting tool like this (yes....you get to buy more tools....LOL)
View attachment 145051

The one thing you do have to watch out for is heat. I was cutting my 6x9 speakers into my old SX230, and noticed smoke.....and realized the dewalt bit was so hot it was smoking, and starting to melt the gel coat. So I started to go slower....take breaks (cut a few inches....stop for it to cool...start again). That was the only tricky part.
I'm good with buying more tools. Just one more reason to DIY, it frees up money for tools.