• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Stuck Clean Out Port “NOT Seized”

ClemsonTigers

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Hey Guys,
I bought a 2022 195S last year and I’ve been having problems with the clean out port ever since. I’ve literally had to take it to the dealer to get them to pull the plug out. They inspected it, lubed it and said everything was fine. Well, it came in and out as easy as could be. Then I ran the boat. Now it will turn to unlock but I cannot get the port out no matter how hard I try. It feels like something is grabbing or holding the plug and it’s not fully releasing. Has anybody had this situation occur? Can anybody point me in the right direction of what is actually wrong with this thing? The dealer is useless and I don’t want to pay $200 an hour for them to tell me nothing’s wrong with it again.

On a separate note, I’m really starting to question the jet boat life. It seems like every time I turn around there is some freak thing that happens. Before I put the boat up, I sucked up a turtle in the impeller ( a massive turtle that I don’t even know how it fit through the grate) Has anyone ever heard of this happening? The dealer inspected it and said it was fine but when I lay the hammer down on the throttle, the boat seems just want to rev and not go. I expected it to have much better performance but it seems to grab air or cavitate. This was pre-turtle as well. I always heard jet boat acceleration was awesome but this thing is more sluggish from a stop than all my previous inboard bow riders…..anyways needed to vent and also need someone to talk me off the jet boat ledge lol.

The clean outs in the newer boats aren't very sophisticated. There is basically two pins that ride in a groove. I guess it's possible the pins didn't release all the way?

As far as the cavitation, searching on this forum will lead you to a bunch of us having the same issue with the 19 footers. If you are dropping the hammer (going straight to WOT), then maybe try half throttle and feathering it a bit. I know I have to bring ours up like that and walk the line. It's pulls hard when you get it right.

If it was cavitating prior to murdering turtles, then I would look into pulling the pump and resealing the tunnel. Resealing the tunnel is the last thing on my list to try.

Cavitation may be a result of the turtle bending a impeller edge or there is something still in there wrapped around the impeller hub . it only takes a very miniscule item to do that just as small as a fishing line. as for the plug try ice on top of it and let it loosen be sure you twisted it all the way some people are using home made tools to loosen the plugs if they don't want to twist out my advice is once it is out apply some bees wax to the rubber gasket get that in a hardware store they use bees wax to make toilet bowl base gaskets. Great stuff for marine use. if you pull your drive shaft put it on the splines before you place it back in also.

The clean outs in the newer boats aren't very sophisticated. There is basically two pins that ride in a groove. I guess it's possible the pins didn't release all the way?

As far as the cavitation, searching on this forum will lead you to a bunch of us having the same issue with the 19 footers. If you are dropping the hammer (going straight to WOT), then maybe try half throttle and feathering it a bit. I know I have to bring ours up like that and walk the line. It's pulls hard when you get it right.

If it was cavitating prior to murdering turtles, then I would look into pulling the pump and resealing the tunnel. Resealing the tunnel is the last thing on my list to try.
With only a few hours left, "cavitating prior to murdering turtles" is the clear frontrunner for comment of the week, scoring bonus points for being a phrase that might possibly have never, ever been typed before.

Hey Guys,
I bought a 2022 195S last year and I’ve been having problems with the clean out port ever since. I’ve literally had to take it to the dealer to get them to pull the plug out. They inspected it, lubed it and said everything was fine. Well, it came in and out as easy as could be. Then I ran the boat. Now it will turn to unlock but I cannot get the port out no matter how hard I try. It feels like something is grabbing or holding the plug and it’s not fully releasing. Has anybody had this situation occur? Can anybody point me in the right direction of what is actually wrong with this thing? The dealer is useless and I don’t want to pay $200 an hour for them to tell me nothing’s wrong with it again.

On a separate note, I’m really starting to question the jet boat life. It seems like every time I turn around there is some freak thing that happens. Before I put the boat up, I sucked up a turtle in the impeller ( a massive turtle that I don’t even know how it fit through the grate) Has anyone ever heard of this happening? The dealer inspected it and said it was fine but when I lay the hammer down on the throttle, the boat seems just want to rev and not go. I expected it to have much better performance but it seems to grab air or cavitate. This was pre-turtle as well. I always heard jet boat acceleration was awesome but this thing is more sluggish from a stop than all my previous inboard bow riders…..anyways needed to vent and also need someone to talk me off the jet boat ledge lol.
How hard are you pushing down on that plug when you're turning it? Before I started lubing the hell out of mine, I had to lean every bit of my weight onto that thing to get it to rotate all the way past the ridges that catch it.

It almost sound like the plug is not fully seated before spinning it to tighten. Not trying to sound condescending but are you pushing down on the clean out port before twisting? It almost sounds like it is cocked in there and that could be some of the cavitation and crappy acceleration. I'm only asking because I did manage to do it once.

With only a few hours left, "cavitating prior to murdering turtles" is the clear frontrunner for comment of the week, scoring bonus points for being a phrase that might possibly have never, ever been typed before.

Graciously bows

I wasn't aware of said contest. If you could point me in the direction of what I should expect in the form of awards, trophies or soup recipes, it would be appreciated.

Hey Guys,

You have the newer style of plug. It should be as easy as push down slightly, and turn the large handle counterclockwise. The writing on the plug should be readable as you look down into the cleanout port.

You said "it came in and out as easy as could be". Was that YOU that this happened to, or the dealer?

Show some pics, your description is sorely lacking in details that pics might show. The dealer pulled it no problems, so what were some questions you asked them after the fact about the issue?

Ice will be fruitless, as these are not the old style of plug. There's more than a few threads around here that show exactly what is involved in the design of the new plugs. There aren't any pins, there's two metal tabs that work like screw threads. I've seen exactly one case of someone screwing the plugs in upside down and "cross threading", for lack of a better term.

How hard are you pushing down on that plug when you're turning it? Before I started lubing the hell out of mine, I had to lean every bit of my weight onto that thing to get it to rotate all the way past the ridges that catch it.
It almost sound like the plug is not fully seated before spinning it to tighten. Not trying to sound condescending but are you pushing down on the clean out port before twisting? It almost sounds like it is cocked in there and that could be some of the cavitation and crappy acceleration. I'm only asking because I did manage to do it once.

Both of these posts are good points.

Graciously bows

I wasn't aware of said contest. If you could point me in the direction of what I should expect in the form of awards, trophies or soup recipes, it would be appreciated.
It's a complicated process. Sometimes the results are challenged, and it can take years of infighting by the voters, bribes from contestants, and litigation at the highest levels before there's any resolution. For now, be content with bragging rights.

IMHO... On a '22, I would be surprised if the intake needs resealing (but it is possible). That said, I would agree with pulling the pumps, particularly after the turtle incident (oh, and I agree with the award, having received my bribe--thanks). I would recommend pulling the pumps, pulling out the cleanout ports and a good cleaning (probably with some light work with a brush--not too much to chew up the caulk or anything, but enough to remove any bones or other junk). Then a good inspection with some photos to us so we can see what is going on.

I suspect that your plugs were not seating correctly (thus the original cavitation) and when the turtle met his demise, something got stuck in that gap (preventing it from closing properly evermore). This is my present working theory....

I second this thinking. Mine come out pretty easily. Sounds like it is cocked which would make it get stuck, which would also explain the cavitation as well. I'd open the back hatch, fill the clean out port with water if it isn't already, hold down the safety button for the hatch while someone else starts the boat and see if you are getting pressure or bubbles coming up in the port. That would mean that it is not seated correctly.

Sticking my nose in here because I'm a 19'er (2017) and I've got the hard to remove plug too. My plug became progressively harder to remove about year 3.5 and now I just use that pvc tool thing to remove and install. I chalk it up to deterioration of either the plug or the receptacle and being in sand/salt 100% I've discontinued using lube which attracts the silt/sand etc and just use a dish soap or windex as lube to seat the plug.

For the clutch slipping feeling, first question and assuming the OP is the1st owner, what was it like when you did the test ride or the first time in the water. How does it compare now to then?

For me the clutch slipping sensation has always been traced to interference at the pump. I've not sucked up a turtle but I've blended most everything else you can find floating in the water and small things stuck on a prop blade or stator vein or caught in the recess of the scoop grate produce that sensation. Good Luck across the board on solving these issues, you may find they are connected.

Sticking my nose in here because I'm a 19'er (2017) and I've got the hard to remove plug too. My plug became progressively harder to remove about year 3.5 and now I just use that pvc tool thing to remove and install. I chalk it up to deterioration of either the plug or the receptacle and being in sand/salt 100% I've discontinued using lube which attracts the silt/sand etc and just use a dish soap or windex as lube to seat the plug.

As these plugs get spun, the metal ears are going to get a little rash on the metal tabs. With salt water, that may give more areas for corrosion or possibly some jagged areas that catch as the plugs get turned.

Have you looked/felt those tabs recently to see if that might be the cause of your problem over time? The symptoms you noted came back after some time, so perhaps a wire brush on those tabs or a file if it's really boogered up might point you to a solution. I will say, if it needs a file, you should probably get a new set of plugs first, before you take the file to them. If that does solve the problem, maybe some JB Weld will net you a functional replacement or spare just in case something happens

it sounds to me like the OP is missing the pushing down part while twisting to unlock. If I remember right you can turn the locking assembly while its seated but it does not turn enough to unlock unless you push it down.

So here is my attempt to explain in more detail. The plug seats and seals just fine. I can turn it counter clockwise with almost no resistance unlocking it. The problem is when I start to pull out it binds in some way I can’t figure out. The plug will actually start to come out (I’m guessing 1/2-3/4” of play then stops) It’s feels almost like it’s getting sideways or caddywampus and binding……but it’s not. I can pull straight, sideways, or any which way but it will not come out. The dealer did have great difficulty getting the plug out but was able to remove it. They then lubed it, inspected it and said it was fine. When I picked the boat up I removed and reinserted the plug multiple times with no problems. Here is the important part……then I ran the boat which they did not do. Something about the pressure from the jet causes the plug to get stuck. It makes no sense. I’m a decently intelligent and handy guy with years of experience with all sorts of Watercraft. It makes zero sense. The only thing I can figure is there is some defect or damage that is causing the plug to intermittently do this. I simply wanted to put this out there to see if there is a history of this type of problem with this type of plug. I will try and upload a video if that will help.

Shout out to the guy that referenced “murdering turtles”. Had me laughing out loud!

It turns with little effort. It’s unlocked….just wont come out!

You have the newer style of plug. It should be as easy as push down slightly, and turn the large handle counterclockwise. The writing on the plug should be readable as you look down into the cleanout port.

You said "it came in and out as easy as could be". Was that YOU that this happened to, or the dealer?

Show some pics, your description is sorely lacking in details that pics might show. The dealer pulled it no problems, so what were some questions you asked them after the fact about the issue?

Ice will be fruitless, as these are not the old style of plug. There's more than a few threads around here that show exactly what is involved in the design of the new plugs. There aren't any pins, there's two metal tabs that work like screw threads. I've seen exactly one case of someone screwing the plugs in upside down and "cross threading", for lack of a better term.

Both of these posts are good points.
I will work on a video. It’s not either of those things

For the clutch slipping feeling, first question and assuming the OP is the1st owner, what was it like when you did the test ride or the first time in the water. How does it compare now to then?

For me the clutch slipping sensation has always been traced to interference at the pump. I've not sucked up a turtle but I've blended most everything else you can find floating in the water and small things stuck on a prop blade or stator vein or caught in the recess of the scoop grate produce that sensation. Good Luck across the board on solving these issues, you may find they are connected.
See my above post. Does that sound like the same problem you are having?

I’m not sure really. I didn’t really get into it from a stop for a long time. Tried to break it in and really don't have a ton of time driving it. Weather turned cold. I might have put maybe 8 hours on it. I was just expecting more I guess. Heard good things on acceleration from jet boats

Excellent additions to your symptoms ?

So when you said it's not either of those things, I think you were referring to not having the plug oriented wrong, nor cross threaded. Am I correct on that?

I have an older 21', so I don't have anything to do a direct comparison on, I'm going on similar issues I've noticed.

The cleanout plug tube is a rubber sleeve that connects to the bottom of the boat, and to the underside of the cleanout tray. The tube has clamps that keep the tube in place, and on my boat, if those clamps are too tight, it ovals the tube, and feels like the symptoms you describe, if it's happening at the base of the tube.

The cavitation points to the plug not being seated correctly, and would also explain the difficulty in getting the plug out, but it doesn't jive with it being easy to turn. That makes me think there's something wrong with the fitting that the plug screws into, or the plug itself having an issue.

Good clear pics, both close up, and from a slight distance, will be super helpful in trying to track down the issue, as well as video. Take a flashlight along to help with lighting, it may be better than relying on your phone's flash.

I'm also wondering if the tube may not be sealed properly, since you said this became evident after running the boat. I'm wondering if that turtle may have sliced the rubber tube with the shell, and the rubber is catching the tabs when the plug is turned. That would be a little more work to determine, but not too difficult to rectify if that turns out to be the issue.

Once this is solved, I think it'll address the other concerns you have, as this all sounds/seems related. You got this!

Excellent additions to your symptoms ?

So when you said it's not either of those things, I think you were referring to not having the plug oriented wrong, nor cross threaded. Am I correct on that?

I have an older 21', so I don't have anything to do a direct comparison on, I'm going on similar issues I've noticed.

The cleanout plug tube is a rubber sleeve that connects to the bottom of the boat, and to the underside of the cleanout tray. The tube has clamps that keep the tube in place, and on my boat, if those clamps are too tight, it ovals the tube, and feels like the symptoms you describe, if it's happening at the base of the tube.

The cavitation points to the plug not being seated correctly, and would also explain the difficulty in getting the plug out, but it doesn't jive with it being easy to turn. That makes me think there's something wrong with the fitting that the plug screws into, or the plug itself having an issue.

Good clear pics, both close up, and from a slight distance, will be super helpful in trying to track down the issue, as well as video. Take a flashlight along to help with lighting, it may be better than relying on your phone's flash.

I'm also wondering if the tube may not be sealed properly, since you said this became evident after running the boat. I'm wondering if that turtle may have sliced the rubber tube with the shell, and the rubber is catching the tabs when the plug is turned. That would be a little more work to determine, but not too difficult to rectify if that turns out to be the issue.

Once this is solved, I think it'll address the other concerns you have, as this all sounds/seems related. You got this!
I concur, that was going to be my next suggestion as well. Open the access hatch in the clean out tray area and look at the big rubber tube that connects the top hatch to the clean out plug seat. See if it is sucked in and deformed and check the clamps as stated above. Once you clear the ring at the bottom, it is just the rubber tube. Sounds like what you are getting caught on. I could see if that tube was a bit too long from the factory or installed improperly, it would deform on itself. My plug is a tight through the fiberglass top hole, then loose all the way down to the bottom locking ring.

As for the cavitation, if the plug seats then I don't think they are related. My guess is the turtle did something or part of him is still in there!

Back