• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Summer Trip 2023 Florida

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In the Clearwater area does anyone know where I could keep the boat on the trailer? Most of the lodging, condo's and such, indicate "No Trailers". I don't need 24 hr access, just somewhere where I know it is safe and can just come pick it up. Not really sure I want to wet slip it again. Seemed like a waste of money since we only would use it 3 days, give or take. Depending on weather.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
In the Clearwater area does anyone know where I could keep the boat on the trailer? Most of the lodging, condo's and such, indicate "No Trailers". I don't need 24 hr access, just somewhere where I know it is safe and can just come pick it up. Not really sure I want to wet slip it again. Seemed like a waste of money since we only would use it 3 days, give or take. Depending on weather.
Not really sure - you could try Madiera Beach Marina - https://madeirabeachfl.gov/departments/marina/

If just want to wing it, I could ask my friend if you could pay him to keep in his front yard. He already has a AR190 and a 25' Pontoon in the front lol.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not really sure - you could try Madiera Beach Marina - https://madeirabeachfl.gov/departments/marina/

If just want to wing it, I could ask my friend if you could pay him to keep in his front yard. He already has a AR190 and a 25' Pontoon in the front lol.
Will let you know. I have no problem in winging it :). May have found a place a bit further south. Docks don't cost anything and the Host indicated that they are almost always empty. Also they may allow me to park trailer in guest lot with boat on it. Not sure family wants to be on the sound, I know they prefer the ocean side, but whatever the Admiral decides I guess. If they have more things to do in the area, then I will get out fishing for sure, probably by myself. I have all the new gear I bought for last year that I didn't use. In any event, I am sure it will take the Admiral 1 week or so to select the lodging then I will have to figure out the boat stuff afterwards. 16 hours straight drive from Detroit by myself without the Admiral and Girls...... can hardly wait :) I will pick them up at the airport when they arrive!

NEW! Sunny Indian Shores Penthouse: Walk to Beach! - Indian Shores (vrbo.com)

Update a few minutes ago: Still free dock out back of the condo all week?? That is hard to beat.

Charles,
"I checked in with the board president and trailers are not permitted on the property. However the boat ramp just to the south of us allows you to store the trailer there. I believe it’s $20 a week. And the boat can stay in the slip behind the condo all week no charge."

Beachcampin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Spent a couple months in the keys last year because it was basically free (Thousand Trails membership) and another factor is the wind. It can be miserable for a week at a time to be on land, beach or water. (Plus the drive, ugh, I wouldn’t drive it from JAX for just one week)

As others have mentioned here, I would look at southwest FL to give you the best chance for all involved to have the FL beach/boat experience. The Atlantic is just too dicey for our boats to have a realistic expectation of getting out in any 7 day period. My son and I are trying to get out as much as we can now and it’s 1-3 days in a month if we’re lucky. Though in the keys you may have a better shot in the dead of summer. Bay side is easier but similar to you last experience.

If money was no object and they reopen from Ian, I would stay here as they have everything you need for people and boats; though for 2023, it may be easier a little further north.

Www.southseas.com

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Will let you know. I have no problem in winging it :). May have found a place a bit further south. Docks don't cost anything and the Host indicated that they are almost always empty. Also they may allow me to park trailer in guest lot with boat on it. Not sure family wants to be on the sound, I know they prefer the ocean side, but whatever the Admiral decides I guess. If they have more things to do in the area, then I will get out fishing for sure, probably by myself. I have all the new gear I bought for last year that I didn't use. In any event, I am sure it will take the Admiral 1 week or so to select the lodging then I will have to figure out the boat stuff afterwards. 16 hours straight drive from Detroit by myself without the Admiral and Girls...... can hardly wait :) I will pick them up at the airport when they arrive!

NEW! Sunny Indian Shores Penthouse: Walk to Beach! - Indian Shores (vrbo.com)

Update a few minutes ago: Still free dock out back of the condo all week?? That is hard to beat.

Charles,
"I checked in with the board president and trailers are not permitted on the property. However the boat ramp just to the south of us allows you to store the trailer there. I believe it’s $20 a week. And the boat can stay in the slip behind the condo all week no charge."
I pass this place all the time. Very central location. ICW part is what we call the narrows. Wind has almost no effect here for the water. For the most part it is slow speed for a little while in either direction. Two things to keep under consideration - those docks seem pretty high (From my view on water, not necessarily photos). As they said, there is almost never boats there. As mentioned that area is slow speed, but there is about 1 mile stretch where you can go fast (also note it is a wordy sign so not everyone realizes you can), and they are right around that area. I think they are in the clear just by a hair. I would ask that... if it's still slow speed I would probably be ok at those docks, if not... I would be hesitant. Tie the boat up on all sides and you should be good.

Other notes: Salt Rock Grill and Caddy's the Pub are both right near there for docking restaurants. Holiday Inn Harbour side is pretty close too to dock and walk to food options. SeaBreeze isn't far either - they give the captain a free beer if you come by boat. On-water sheriff station is probably less than a 1/2 mile, and the public boat ramp is very close as well. You can also get to a Publix by boat pretty close to there.

Beachcampin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I pass this place all the time. Very central location. ICW part is what we call the narrows. Wind has almost no effect here for the water. For the most part it is slow speed for a little while in either direction. Two things to keep under consideration - those docks seem pretty high (From my view on water, not necessarily photos). As they said, there is almost never boats there. As mentioned that area is slow speed, but there is about 1 mile stretch where you can go fast (also note it is a wordy sign so not everyone realizes you can), and they are right around that area. I think they are in the clear just by a hair. I would ask that... if it's still slow speed I would probably be ok at those docks, if not... I would be hesitant. Tie the boat up on all sides and you should be good.

Other notes: Salt Rock Grill and Caddy's the Pub are both right near there for docking restaurants. Holiday Inn Harbour side is pretty close too to dock and walk to food options. SeaBreeze isn't far either - they give the captain a free beer if you come by boat. On-water sheriff station is probably less than a 1/2 mile, and the public boat ramp is very close as well. You can also get to a Publix by boat pretty close to there.
@adrianp89 what is the boating time to an inlet from there; seems like about an hour. That may be a consideration if your trying to get into the gulf. also, limit fishing or sleeping time. seems like good fishing opportunities for reds, flounder, etc in that area though.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
@adrianp89 what is the boating time to an inlet from there; seems like about an hour. That may be a consideration if your trying to get into the gulf. also, limit fishing or sleeping time. seems like good fishing opportunities for reds, flounder, etc in that area though.
To the south - prob 30-40 minutes out of Johns Pass until you are in the Gulf. Clearwater I think would be a bit further. Depends on how you define "minimum wake" lol. Once you get out of the narrows its WOT until John's Pass area, minus one bridge minimum wake zone.

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It's been a few years and I don't know if they have an official policy, but I've stayed here with a trailer and there were several others there as well. Parking lot was big with a lot of open space...
Holiday Inn & Suites Clearwater Beach S-Harbourside, an IHG Hotel

BigBlueJeep

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Well as of this afternoon, we are targeting the area of Clearwater and surrounding areas, as indicated to me by the admiral. Figured there is more to do for the kids. Also figured if they want we could go to Volcano Bay which is about 90 minutes to 2 hours, away for a day. The lodging is more affordable than Pensacola it appears. At least this is the direct they are looking right now....

How are the water conditions in Tampa Bay typically for boating? What about Clear water Harbor?
Im in North Pinellas. I don't spend any time in Tampa Bay as I haven't found anything to do there. The Pinellas (beach) side of the bay/county is a pretty amazing boating/water sports area for a lot of reasons, just check out Google earth to see why. We're alway looking for clear shallow water and sandbars to anchor up and spend the day. As far as N Pinellas (starting just N of Clearwater), anything on the ICW isn't really clear water but there are some sand bars mid county and they are fine. The sands bars up N are really nice and worth a visit, working your way S to N:
- Caladesi - They have a nice public harbor you can dock and short walk to the W side for beach day. You can also anchor on the N end on the beach side. The pass can have a lot of current but good place to anchor and watch boats go by, NE is a nice sandbar especially at low tide but watch the tide and current.
- Honeymoon - S end dog beach is a nice place to anchor, N end anchor on both W and E.
- 3 Rooker - This is where it gets pretty amazing IMO. 2 islands S and N (used to be one not too long ago). The NW end of the S island is in my opinion nicer then any sand bar I've been to in the Keys, and I go each year with the boat and been to a lot of them but admit haven't been to Content Key yet. It's our go-to place. Watch the tides on the W side and there's almost 2 or 3 small sand bars off the main island that you anchor on.
- Anclote - S and N end and the entire W side are great for anchoring. Watch the tides on the S end but good on all tides, N is better on low tides.

Best ramp up here is Seminole in Clearwater. There's also Anclote which is closer but 'challenging' especially with jet boats (current, sea grass, etc). Both get very busy and Seminole often closes at 8 or 9am, Anclote has more parking but a total shit show, especially any weekend in Summer. There's also Summerland but I've never been there. If you go N and need a ramp come early, like very early or you'll have to work your way S to find one that's open. It's probably better to get out/get back early due to summer storms if your not familiar with the area.

BTW, Volcano Bay is awesome, really the only 'theme park' we go to consistently anymore. Day-tripping is fine but if you can get a room in Universal its a great option because you get in early and the Resort area is a fun and walkable, although in small doses especially if you're a boater :). Check out Cabana Bay, don't think you can park your boat there though.

Last edited:

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Looks like a nice place!

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If Beaches were a top priority I would not go to the Key's. There are tons of places to eat, stay and party in the Key's but I would go to other destinations for better beaches. You can always stay mainland and take a drive through the keys.
The Keys arent really a beaches area. It's a huge water area, and it sounds counterintuitive, but there just aren't big open beaches to lay out or play on.

They're still my favorite. Great water, great fishing, great food, just gotta avoid Key West and it's great.

NewGuy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
The Keys arent really a beaches area. It's a huge water area, and it sounds counterintuitive, but there just aren't big open beaches to lay out or play on.

They're still my favorite. Great water, great fishing, great food, just gotta avoid Key West and it's great.
Perfectly stated. Just enjoy the vibe sans Key West. BTW BlkGS, my good and smarter friend in Vero tells me its about 78 degrees there today. I, on the other hand, am dealing with rolling blackouts.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length

Ericd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
We winter in SWFL (Estero, just south of Fort Myers) and enjoyed reading this thread. Before we landed in Estero we vacationed a lot in the Clearwater-Indian Rocks Beach area. It is really an enjoyable area for boating, beaches and fun.
Unfortunately, Fort Myers and the outer islands were devastated by hurricane Ian. It’s been almost three months since it struck and the area is still in recovery mode. There two or three restaurants open on FM Beach and that’s about it. Most of the county’s beaches remain closed. The waterways are open, but there’s hidden dangers lurking. I can’t recommend the area now, maybe in six months we will see a big difference. I certainly hope so!
Enjoy your vacation and let us know how it went!

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We winter in SWFL (Estero, just south of Fort Myers) and enjoyed reading this thread. Before we landed in Estero we vacationed a lot in the Clearwater-Indian Rocks Beach area. It is really an enjoyable area for boating, beaches and fun.
Unfortunately, Fort Myers and the outer islands were devastated by hurricane Ian. It’s been almost three months since it struck and the area is still in recovery mode. There two or three restaurants open on FM Beach and that’s about it. Most of the county’s beaches remain closed. The waterways are open, but there’s hidden dangers lurking. I can’t recommend the area now, maybe in six months we will see a big difference. I certainly hope so!
Enjoy your vacation and let us know how it went!
Great Info, Thanks.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
The bay is extremely hit or miss. It is very finicky - it can be glass on the North side of the bay and 2 feet on the south side, or vice verse. The entire Pinellas ICW is pretty mild even on a windy day.... just not enough area for the wind to affect it too much. For the bay and gulf you want an east wind for best conditions, but a mild west is still fine. During summer time you need to be aware of weather after 1 or 2 PM and have an exit plan. Nasty storms can pop in the afternoon very quickly. (Clear to Nasty in <1 hr) If you start your days early and end around 3 - you should be golden. The storms leave as quick as they come, so most people just go to a restaurant, or idle under a bridge worst case.

Clearwater harbor is more affected by boat traffic than anything else. The channel is super easy to navigate but do not leave the channel unless you know what you are doing. A lot of that water is under 2 feet.

I would also run a chart plotter if you have one and watch your tides - our waters are shallow.
Bay was brutal today. North end was an easy 2-3 feet, maybe more. South end was pretty darn calm. Heading East to Tampa my truck was being sprayed with salt water from across the other bridge, at least 100 yards lol.

EJG5150

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
As most know we did Navarre/Destin/Pensacola last year. Towed the Boat down and had a great time. Only bad thing was the ocean and surf where stirred up pretty good, so we didnt venture out of the ICW.

Anyhow we are getting ready to plan another trip for this summer. Everyone liked Pensacola, the beach, the restuarants on the beach and atmosphere. The prices are getting up there, more so than last year for lodging for 8 people.
Also there has been discussion about going down to the Floriday Keys which we know nothing about. I plan on taking the boat and towing it down again from Michigan. Family would most likely fly down and I would start out a day or so earlier.
We have always wanted to go to the Keys, never have been. Would it even be worth taking the boat all the way down to the Keys, or just leave it home?

Any thoughts or Advice? Keys or just back to Pensacola/Navarre area? Any other good destinations in the panhandle or Gulf Coast? (Spoke with the family, they are not ready to cross to Bimini yet :)
1) Nice Beaches
2) Nice Ocean Water
3) Things to do on land
4) Use the boat for a few days.
5) Possible some restuarants, etc. that we can get to by boat.
6) 5 Teenagers 15-18
7) We will be there for 7 or 8 days, but I will drive out a day a head of time we take the boat.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
I’m actually going to Ft Walton in June with my Scarab 255 , coming from Illinois.I’m pumped, got the idea from this site last year. Found a condo with a lift/slip next door to Destin West resort . One of my choices before I found the condo.How did you like the area for boating?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Crab Island is pretty cool. We had a good time. Spent a lot of time also on the beaches in Pensacola. Didn't venture out really into the ocean, the waves and wind were up all week.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Clearwater tarpon springs, Edgemont key bunch of islands and areas to visi on boat.

Keys are a must if you have never been it's almost a different world.