• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Supercharged in California?

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are only Yamaha supercharged engines banned in California?
Are Rotax supercharged engines ok? Boats with these engines are for sale and appear to have been previously registered.
Appreciate any help with this as I'm trying to choose between a Yamaha, Scarab, Chaparral Vortex, and Seadoo boat. Apologies if this has been answered already in another thread. Here are some listings:

Chaparral Vortex Log into Facebook
Yamaha SX195 Log into Facebook

Attachments

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Ronnie Care to comment? How are these Yamaha and Chaparral supercharged jet boats registered in California?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
If they are older boats then they were legal at the time of their purchase. Just like my 210 FSH would have been in 2020 but it was no longer legal to sell them after 2021. It’s the same with cars, they just have to pass a smog test applicable for their year of purchase. So far you don’t have to take your power sports equipment to get it smogged to be able to register it.

So if you’re looking at an older boat that is currently registered in ca then you’ll be able to register it in ca if you buy it.

I know there were a couple of guys who bought new boats out of state, registered them there and brought them back to ca.

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Last edited:

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I think Nevada is also a friendly place to register your vehicle as well. There is another member here who bought a 255 FSH sport E and registered it to his brothers house in AZ. You can also use My Best Address in South Dakota to register your vehicles at, I registered my vehicles in SD that way.

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
In AZ you don’t need an AZ address to register it as you can register it as a non resident, just need to pay a small yearly fee to fish and game. I think it actually ends up being cheaper than CA luxury tax 😃

Last edited:

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have no doubt about that…

found this… California Property Tax on Vessels – AGL Yacht Sales

looks like ca charges 1.1% property tax on the assessed value of the boat.. boat is worth $30,000 tax due to the state is $330 not including the registration fee.

Then there is this… scroll down a ways

Then there is this jewel..

I‘m pretty sure my friend who owns a home in AZ said it was cheaper to register his boat in NV. I’m checking on that now…