• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Surf setup 2015 242LS

Minh Nguyen

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just ordered parts for this experiment/mod. I'll update here once I get things put together. Here's a rough sketch of what my flap would look like...kinda going w @Scuba_ref idea.

Attachments

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just ordered parts for this experiment/mod. I'll update here once I get things put together. Here's a rough sketch of what my flap would look like...kinda going w @Scuba_ref idea.
I'll be darned. Can't wait to hear how those work!
I think you will need that center part to be longer but bet it'll end up being @Scuba_ref - 1 : @swatski - 0. LOL.
We need to determine what works, and let's go surfing behind our Yammies!

--

Minh Nguyen

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Im going with a different theory...but won't know til i get all the parts in and mounted for the test. Hoping will be all done within a week, and that this nice tx weather we've been having continues!

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have been watching this thread closely and two questions always come to mind.

1. That flap thing must be ridiculously heavy making it very difficult to manage on the water and just not practical.

2. Why not just make your own wake wedge. It's already been proven to work and you obviously have to know how and the tools to build one?

I built my own a couple of years ago. Mines slightly different than the original but works great.

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have been watching this thread closely and two questions always come to mind.

1. That flap thing must be ridiculously heavy making it very difficult to manage on the water and just not practical.

2. Why not just make your own wake wedge. It's already been proven to work and you obviously have to know how and the tools to build one?

I built my own a couple of years ago. Mines slightly different than the original but works great.
RE: 1. My version 2.0 is a bit easier, the first one was crazy heavy. Yes that is an issue, the way I see it, it needs to be either a "set-it-and-forget-it" or "easy to mount" kind of a deal. Easy to mount - it is not. Storage is another issue albeit mine does fit in the ski locker.
RE: 2. Several reasons. I wouldn't mind supporting the guys, the issue for me is changing sides. That is a big one. I would also want it automated which further complicates things. The flap, silly as it is, may actually do. I think it needs to be angled, the shape is TBD I guess, but I actually think I'm pretty close.

Ultimately, this whole field is moving away from listed to tab/Surfgate/TAPS/GSA driven wake making, lets see if we can keep up! It is amazing what has happen in the last two years. But of course jet boats pose particular challenge.

We know that surfgate does not work on jet boats, however the GSA/TAPS should. Of the two, I decided the GSA (or WaveMaker)-like system is a better bet because I can combine a function of tabs for cruising and surfing. Just need to finish building my tab adapters for testing the latter.

EDIT: And of course, there is the awesome ASP (aerial surf platform) for the Chaps. But I think it does better in providing extra real estate for the swim platform than in surf augmentation.

--

Last edited:

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I admire your tenacity and I hope you manage to succeed in making a surfable wave without haveing to list the boat. However, the wakewedge works well and switching from one side to the other takes less than a minute. (If you have two) Also with the wedge there is very little if any adjusting. I basically install my wedge, and fill up the boat with ballast and go surfing. Rarely do I make adjustments to the wedge itself and if I do is a matter of one or two turns on the turnbuckel.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I admire your tenacity and I hope you manage to succeed in making a surfable wave without haveing to list the boat. However, the wakewedge works well and switching from one side to the other takes less than a minute. (If you have two) Also with the wedge there is very little if any adjusting. I basically install my wedge, and fill up the boat with ballast and go surfing. Rarely do I make adjustments to the wedge itself and if I do is a matter of one or two turns on the turnbuckel.
Oh the boat will be listed, I'm just hoping I can make my custom tabs (w/mods) do that.
My family has never surfed on our own boat (we have done it with friends), I am pretty committed to make it happen.

The way I think about it, it boils down to few simple issues:

1. Haul enough ballast

That's no problem per se but the power may become limiting as the pumps need to be able to move the boat. I have the L13 cones in place which gives me some room for tuning - venturi and impeller tweaks, may also consider ECU reflash.

2. List the boat

There are limited options here: a. ballast alone, b. surfgate, or c. tabs system. The GSA-like tab system for attitude adjustment and delayed convergence is the way to go, I think.

3. Alleviate jet wash

Flap is the simple solution I never thought would have worked -- until @COtoFLsurf showed us.
I can't blame you for making your own wedge device, at $800 plus shipping a piece it is worth a bit of effort for sure.

--

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I can't blame you for making your own wedge device, at $800 plus shipping a piece it is worth a bit of effort for sure.
Especially when you do the conversion from American to Canadian dollars.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Chilly,
Care to post a pic of your gate? I am in need of projects. Cam.

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@KXCam22 Here is a couple of pictures of mine. If I was to build it again, I think i would just make it one piece as no one ever uses the swim ladder to board the boat because it's so easy to get back on the boat when its listed. I used 1/2" marine board for the wedge and 1" marine board for the crossbar and the ladder bracket. Everything is held together with a heavy gauge aluminium piano hing and 1/4' stainless steel bolts. I was a little concerned with it being all plastic at first but after two years I've had no issues so far.

IMG_0312.JPG IMG_0313.JPG 20170223_104320.jpg

The results.

IMG_0916.jpg IMG_0917.JPG
IMG_1247.JPG
IMG_0919.JPG

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@RightStuff No pictures of it mounted on the boat. The boat is all wrapped up in winter storage. Probable another 6-8 weeks before I get the boat back.

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@RightStuff No pictures of it mounted on the boat. The boat is all wrapped up in winter storage. Probable another 6-8 weeks before I get the boat back.
Sounds good, was wondering what the mounts on each side looked like. Might go this route and make my own like yours... :cool:

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok I looked trough some pictures and if you zoom into the swim ladder you can see the mounting bracket for the wedge.
IMG_0329.JPG

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Awesome, would love to see some more detailed pics if/when you get a chance.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@KXCam22 Here is a couple of pictures of mine. If I was to build it again, I think i would just make it one piece as no one ever uses the swim ladder to board the boat because it's so easy to get back on the boat when its listed. I used 1/2" marine board for the wedge and 1" marine board for the crossbar and the ladder bracket. Everything is held together with a heavy gauge aluminium piano hing and 1/4' stainless steel bolts. I was a little concerned with it being all plastic at first but after two years I've had no issues so far.

View attachment 51838 View attachment 51839 View attachment 51840

The results.

View attachment 51841 View attachment 51842
View attachment 51844
View attachment 51843
Wow, that is great looking wave.
Is your goofy wake looking better than regular or is it just in pictures?

--

Thor

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Chillypilot You have an awesome wave/wake, how many pounds of ballast are you using?

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think it may just be the angle of the photo. Here is another shot from the regular side.

IMG_0285.JPG

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Question for you guys. We are trying to deflect the jet was, right? Last year I tried attaching one of my boat fenders between the tie down and the ladder, problem is that my boat fender has a diameter of no more than 6 or 8 inches leaving it far away from the jet wash. I'm thinking of trying to do that same thing with a larger boat fender such as:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N0S542J/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

What do you think?