• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Swamped, took a wave over the bow.

Johmas50

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
We were at Lake Norris this past weekend, which was great as usual. However, we had an incident with a couple of rogue wake waves from an exceptionally large cabin cruiser. Basically the swell, I'd estimate it was 5 feet, went over the bow at no wake speed. It knocked my wife from her seat up front and filled the boat with about 8 inches of water. Good news is all systems were in working order, the supper drained the cabin and the bilge pump drained the engine compartment, there was water in the engine compartment about level with the bottom of the engines. Checked the air filter and oil for water and all was clear. Upon return I removed the carpet and all of the wet items in storage areas. I have the boat uncovered here at home now, sprinkled a little baking soda on the wet storage area carpet and put a fan in the port side storage area to air it out. Does anyone know of anything else I might want to check on? I realize people do sub moves and do this same thing intentionally, never been my thing, but to each his own. Any other suggestions on places I should check for water and possible mildew problems? I just don't want the boat stinking next time I get out on the water. I removed all I could and brought those items inside to dry. Also, thanks to this board for giving me the knowledge to know what to check on while in the water. This scared the crap out of everyone on the boat except me, I knew we would be OK and what to check on thanks to the great knowledge I have picked up from other members over the past few years.

I am glad everyone was okay. Would you have been better off giving it some throttle to raise the bow?

It sounds like this was fresh water so I think this is less of an issue. I think leaving the boat uncovered and in the sun will help to dry it out. You could also spray the engine bay with a good silicone like he Yamaha spray to keep any metal from corroding/rusting

@4x15mph Yeah, my dad was driving and after the fact we talked about maybe more throttle would have helped. It happened so fast there was little time to react and although he has a boat of his own, he isn't as familiar with mine so I can't fault him. It was just a freak thing, I think we got in a shallower spot near the bank and the wave just kind of did the tsunami thing where the wave amplified at the last moment. More throttle might have helped, on the other hand too much throttle might have caused us to ramp it a little more and made a rough landing. Hard to call really, but all in all we came out a little wet and startled, but OK. I think with it being fresh water corrosion wouldn't be much help of a factor. I have the engine compartment open today to let it air out a little. The sound dampening material (factory foam) was a little wet.

Last edited:
Got it. If/when I see these big waves, I am going to see if jumping them helps. I know if I took them sideways, I would be in big trouble and I have to think some speed is your friend (15 mph)

wave jumping.jpg

Should be no issues.....just crank the bow up high and let the sun do its job (fans help too)

You said you emptied the storage compartments, but also make sure to leave all the removable seat covers open or removed. Probably obvious, but I didn't see it mentioned. This will let the sun and air do its work. Easiest way to fight mildew is sun and fresh air.

@maboat Yeah, all of the removable cushions are inside the house now, used a little Vinyl Sauce on them and they are drying in the basement. Unfortunately it is supposed to be rainy and muggy all week. The boat is under my carport so it won't get wet any more than it is, but it will not be a good week for drying. The carpet and a bag of tools I carry on board are all in the basement with a fan pointed at them, wife might kill me though when she gets home, the whole house smells like wet carpet.

You could also put a tub of damp-rid in the basement as well as in the boat. This will help pull out the moisture. If you have a dehumidifier, I would put that near the carpets that you have in the basement

We were at Lake Norris this past weekend, which was great as usual. However, we had an incident with a couple of rogue wake waves from an exceptionally large cabin cruiser. Basically the swell, I'd estimate it was 5 feet, went over the bow at no wake speed. It knocked my wife from her seat up front and filled the boat with about 8 inches of water. Good news is all systems were in working order, the supper drained the cabin and the bilge pump drained the engine compartment, there was water in the engine compartment about level with the bottom of the engines. Checked the air filter and oil for water and all was clear. Upon return I removed the carpet and all of the wet items in storage areas. I have the boat uncovered here at home now, sprinkled a little baking soda on the wet storage area carpet and put a fan in the port side storage area to air it out. Does anyone know of anything else I might want to check on? I realize people do sub moves and do this same thing intentionally, never been my thing, but to each his own. Any other suggestions on places I should check for water and possible mildew problems? I just don't want the boat stinking next time I get out on the water. I removed all I could and brought those items inside to dry. Also, thanks to this board for giving me the knowledge to know what to check on while in the water. This scared the crap out of everyone on the boat except me, I knew we would be OK and what to check on thanks to the great knowledge I have picked up from other members over the past few years.

congratulations, you just did your first sub move :) There are quite a few of us on the forum that do them for fun!!!!

I don't do this for fun, usually... but I had a whiney kid in my bow one time that wouldn't get in the water and after asking their parents if it was okay... I brought the water to them. I don't do it to the point that it fills anything more than 1/2 the ski locker, though. Sounds like you took a pretty good size wave.

When my old yamaha cover was leaking, I bought four small (like 4" diameter) fans from WalMart. I ran extension cords throughout the boat... put one in each side aft, and one in front of the captain chairs in the storage compartments pointing towards the front on each side. It cost me less than $25, and you can't beat air movement to dry out an area quickly.

@woodard1983 yeah, I'm fully aware of the sub move, just didn't plan this one. I've seen plenty of videos of them on here and the old site, just never planned to partake.

@MOA_Chaser that is basically what I've been doing today. It seems to be working so far, just letting the fan and some sunlight dry things out.

Back