• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Switching oil brands

Carlton Adams

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
i just purchased a 2007 SX230 from the second owner and I am getting ready to do my first oil change. The guy I bought it from owned the boat for 5 years and always used AMSOIL 10W30 marine synthetic oil. I do not have a local supplier for Marine AMSOIL. Is there any harm switching to a different brand? Thanks.

zelone

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Amsoil is possibly the best oil you could use. Personally, I have always used nothing but Royal Purple, in my Yamaha boats, and performance cars. Changing the oil/filter often enough is more important than which oil you use, in my opinion.

Paulie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have used amsoil marine in my sx230 for the last 7 years but I have started to develop the infamous oil drip from the back cover/pan area. I have switched back to yamalube this season as an experiment to see if the leak stops. If you can't find an amsoil dealer in your area, you can always join their membership and get free shipping if you order a certain dollar amount.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Dave Baran

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I use Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 5W30 for everything. Also use the Mobil 1 filters. Never had any issues in any truck, car or boat or jet ski; many other things as well.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Went from Pennzoil to Quaker State and back over the last couple of seasons. No issues. :p:p:p

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Changing the oil/filter often enough is more important than which oil you use, in my opinion.

Such a highly debateable topic, but I promise you, ^ this is key. 97% of the population will never reap the benefits of using exotic oils. Proper/timely maintenance is far more paramount. Also, a quality filter is eleventy million times more important than oil brand (assuming your not using Bob's Recycled Oil) (and provided you're performing regular changes). Parenthesis and conjured statistics aside, you're already thinking about maintenance, so you just about can't get it wrong unless you really try to.

TOGA

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have used amsoil marine in my sx230 for the last 7 years but I have started to develop the infamous oil drip from the back cover/pan area. I have switched back to yamalube this season as an experiment to see if the leak stops. If you can't find an amsoil dealer in your area, you can always join their membership and get free shipping if you order a certain dollar amount.

Can you provide more info on the "infamous oil drip" please.

My port engine started developing a leak I can't pinpoint other than it is toward the stern. Engines still run great and hit top RPM's. Oil loss isn't enough to concern me at this point, but I'm interested in hearing or reading more about this seemingly common issue.

I use Mobil 1 synthetic oil.

I'm guessing 500 hours on the engines. I have an hour meter but don't trust the original reading and don't have YDS to read the codes.

Thanks for any insight or links to earlier posts.

Paulie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
From what I have read and experienced, sometimes certain engines can develop an oil leak after switching from regular oil to synthetic. There are properties in regular oil that will keep rubber seals and gaskets swollen over time and when the switch is made to synthetic, sometimes those seals will shrink and cause a very slight leak. My port side engine has been dripping a tiny amount for the last five seasons. It's just not enough to cause any real concern at this point. Annoying more than anything.

Jane Snapp

Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yes, I agree with you, my friend faced a problem after changing the oil of the engine, there was a leak in the engine.

Overtime81

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't think you can go wrong with Mobil 1. It's only $25.00 for a 5qt jug from walmart. I also don't think you can go wrong with any certified oil from a major manufacturer these days. My diesel truck and little civic si commuter car see a lot of miles, cold starts and more abuse than my boat ever will and they get along just fine with Rural King synthetic oil and a quality Wix filter.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
From what I have read and experienced, sometimes certain engines can develop an oil leak after switching from regular oil to synthetic. There are properties in regular oil that will keep rubber seals and gaskets swollen over time and when the switch is made to synthetic, sometimes those seals will shrink and cause a very slight leak. My port side engine has been dripping a tiny amount for the last five seasons. It's just not enough to cause any real concern at this point. Annoying more than anything.
I also developed this minor oil leak on both my 2006 MR-1s after 3 years of Mobil 1 synthetic use. After reading, on this forum, that full synthetic oils do not properly wet the seals I switched to a synthetic blend. My leaks have stopped over the last 3 seasons.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
i just purchased a 2007 SX230 from the second owner and I am getting ready to do my first oil change. The guy I bought it from owned the boat for 5 years and always used AMSOIL 10W30 marine synthetic oil. I do not have a local supplier for Marine AMSOIL. Is there any harm switching to a different brand? Thanks.
No, no harm whatsoever. The deal with not being able to switch between oils goes back 30 years to what was then-current oil technology and had more to do with switching between conventional and synthetic oil. Modern oils have no such restrictions. You can feel free to switch or mix at will. Viscosity and current SAE rating are what are important

Last edited:

Zonie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No, no harm whatsoever. The deal with not being able to switch between oils goes back 30 years to what was then-current oil technology and had more to do with switching between conventional and syntheticoil. Modern oils have no such restrictions. You can feel free to switch or mix at will. Viscosity and current SAE rating are what are important
Agree 100%. 50 years ago our parents paid for valve jobs at 60,000, and rings at 100,000. Today most people don't even bother changing spark plugs at 100,000. Improved oil technology is a huge part of engine longevity. Just use whatever name brand oil you prefer and stick with it.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Just don’t use fram filters.