• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tacoma for tow vehicle??

Bruggar709

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Anyone have any issues using a Tacoma for a tow vehicle with a SX190?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 2001 Tacoma 2WD with 333,339 miles on it (just recorded the mileage for biz) and I tow a 2017 SX190 almost every weekend round trip about 60 miles. EZ PZ. I tow highway at 50/60 mph and up the mountain at about 40.

DJI_0017.JPG

Last edited:

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Whats the tow rating?
A Tacoma should be 4500 for older versions, on the low end, but @Bruggar709 should chime in with what's listed on the vehicle itself.

It's fine for a 19', and middling for a 21' if there are hills.

steveinmd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
My buddy has an '05 and tows an SX230. His does have the tow package, so it raises the total capacity a bit. Does fine everywhere but
requires some rpms through the mountains in western Md.

Bruggar709

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A Tacoma should be 4500 for older versions, on the low end, but @Bruggar709 should chime in with what's listed on the vehicle itself.

It's fine for a 19', and middling for a 21' if there are hills.
Tow capacity is 6700lbs

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure I would want 6,700lbs behind a Tacoma. Suspension is a bit soft, and they're a little low on power for that weight IMO.

Anyone know if Toyota uses SAE J2807 for tow ratings?!?!

For reference, my '17 AR190 scaled at just under 3,200lbs with fuel and gear. You'll be just fine in your Tacoma. Enjoy!

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The tow rating includes passengers and cargo in the truck.

According to Yamahas website your SX190 on the trailer, dry, is 3047 pounds, with a full tank of fuel +240 pounds you’re at 3287 pounds.. That leaves 3413 pounds for people and cargo in the truck as well as gear and goodies in the boat.

I’d say you have ample capacity.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Not sure I would want 6,700lbs behind a Tacoma. Suspension is a bit soft, and they're a little low on power for that weight IMO.

Anyone know if Toyota uses SAE J2807 for tow ratings?!?!

For reference, my '17 AR190 scaled at just under 3,200lbs with fuel and gear. You'll be just fine in your Tacoma. Enjoy!
Yes, Toyota was the first adopt the SAE tow rating.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Tow capacity is 6700lbs
This comes from the plate of the specific vehicle you own?

From the internet, for the 2023 Tacoma - The minimum towing capacity of 3500 lbs is for both the 4-cylinder and V6 powered Tacoma. It's only when you add the Tow Package to the V6 engine that the tow power is lengthened to 6400 lbs.

Jim

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
YOu can tow a 190 with damn near anything this side of a bicycle. It'll be fine.

@I_squared_r You had this setup right?
I was towing my AR192 with a 2020 Tacoma TRD offroad with a leveling kit and airbags. You can tow with the factory springs, but they're really soft. So thats why I put firestone airbags in the rear. It can tow the 19ft boat just fine, but I have since went to a full size truck because I wanted a bigger boat (funny story, it doesn't look like i'm getting the bigger boat yet lol) I ended up moving to full size after going to Lake George with 4 passengers and a ton of camping equipment, food, and beer. I didn't like how the Tacoma towed all that in the mountains and my foot was constantly to the floor to maintain 70mph. Yes, 70mph is fast to tow, but I honestly expected more from that V6. I started thinking about a full size, test drove a RAM 1500 Laramie, and fell in love with it. My opinion on the Tacoma is: the engine is underpowered, the rear suspension is too soft, the brakes aren't powerful, and Tacoma doesn't have any electronics to stabilize when towing. For example, my AR192 always swayed a little left/right. Not dangerously, but it was noticeable. The RAM 1500 has electronic stabilization that tows the AR192 like it's not there and I love everything about the truck. I'm a bit harsh on Tacomas because I liked it until I owned a RAM 1500. The mistake I made was, I bought the TRD off road to do off roading, I set it up for overlanding, but then life changed and I never went West to off road. I went South to Brazil and Colombia and my needs changed. The good news is the Tacoma did VERY well on retaining its value. And my timing was good to buy and trade it.

Don't get me wrong, you can definitely tow with the Tacoma. It's a good truck to tow, but it's just not a very good truck for towing. If you demand the best, Tacoma isn't it. Especially if you will drive in a lot of mountains.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Seems as though the Tacoma should be up to the task of towing a 190 for most purposes. I always recommend tranny cooler for any non-trial towing. Also, concern about 'will it pull the load?' and 'will it pull the load comfortably?' are important, but at least equally important: 'Will it stop the load?'

In a panic brake situation, the last thing you want is your tow vehicle being shoved out of your control by your load. I believe (but am not sure) that the 190's single axle trailers do not come with brakes, so stopoing is all on the tow vehicle.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I believe (but am not sure) that the 190's single axle trailers do not come with brakes, so stopoing is all on the tow vehicle.
Back in '17 when I bought. The SX and AR190's did NOT have brakes. The SX and AR195s DID have brakes.

I want to say I read recently where all yamaha trailers came with brakes now. Can't tell you where I read that though.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
On the Yamaha website, it shows that the SX190 and AR190 trailers both come with brakes. Without trailer brakes, at 3000 lbs, you would be over the law limit in most states. There are a couple of states where the limit for the trailer is under 3000 lbs. If you want to be techincally legal in your tow across state lines, you should be meeting the state laws for the state that you are operating in.

Jim

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Back in '17 when I bought. The SX and AR190's did NOT have brakes. The SX and AR195s DID have brakes.

I want to say I read recently where all yamaha trailers came with brakes now. Can't tell you where I read that though.
Good to know. I was going from memory, which was stale info. Thx.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I wouldn't.

In laws have a current gen Tacoma. It was VERY unhappy towing a small U-Haul trailer when we moved the sister in law. It was constantly dropping down gears to get to upper Rev range to try to maintain speed up a slight grade or accelerate. I thought "man, they should have gotten the v6 and not 4 banger, but I guess they don't tow much". When we got to the destination I saw the v6 badge. It's just a gutless excuse for a motor. The older 4.0L would probably do better for it.

But personally, I wouldn't. I wouldn't be happy doing it. If you own the truck already, buy the boat and plan to upgrade the truck.

eastcoaster

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I bet they didn't have the truck in tow mode, which keeps your RPMs up. I have towed an older 232 hundreds of miles with my 2007 4x4 tacoma with no issues. The only time the truck would downshift was on a steeper grade and speed would drop to 50

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Or perhaps the Tacoma didn't have the tow package?