• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

The cover discussion

Steelerville

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well - the Florida sun takes its toll. I bought the standard yamaha cover a little over two yrs ago and its toast. I found several posts about the shipping covers and never really found the answer I was looking for. I don't to drop $1000 on a sunbrella cover yet. Will the shipping cover work or will i be finding mold and how long so the last? i found one for 300.

I'm currently using Yamaha shipping cover with pooling poles and it's keeping my boat clean and dry while I store my boat on the driveway until my future garage to store the boat will be built. I like the look of the black Yamaha Deluxe Premium cover so I ordered one but if I had to use the Yamaha shipping cover I think I wouldn't have any complaints about doing it's job. I did have to use the clear packing tape to tape over the orange Yamaha lettering because I found that was chipping off and getting on the boat. Also used packing tape to cover certain places on the cover where water could leak in.

I ordered my Deluxe Premium cover from @Ziess21 for very good JB.N price so you may want to see what deal he has for your boat. He is authorized Yamaha dealer.

Last edited:
In the sun I usually put a cheap cover over the good cover to take most of the UV damage and bird droppings. That said, it is hard to find a cheap cover large enough for the yammi. Right now I am using a green tarp that is cut and stitched with tywraps to fit close to the boat and wrap around the towers. Not ideal but works well. I just ordered a new mooring cover so I will likely repair the old one, coat it with thompsons water seal, and use it as the sacrificial cover. Cam.

the standard yamaha cover a little over two yrs ago and its toast
Toast as in the fabric is falling apart, or toast as in no longer keeping the water out? Have you considered coating it with new sealant (if it is the latter) and UV guard?

The cover ripped apart going about 350mpg. I bought another one for 400. Didn't want too but didn't want to spend a grand right now. Headed to vegas and then hawaii for two weeks.

The shipping covers do the job well but you will find over time the plastic will breakdown over time if it us in the sun all the time.

I'm using the shipping cover. It works well enough that I will buy another one when it fails. Over the winter time I used a universal West Marine cover over top of the shipping cover and it held up well.

The shipping cover isn't completely waterproof though (more like just lets it in, in certain spots in the back). I've also noticed that it doesn't breathe quite as well as I'd like even though it has vents. The other issue is that it lets a lot of light in because it's white. Not sure if that will cause me issues down the road. All in all it does a great job, especially if you buy one of those for two hundred bucks linked above.

Last edited:
In the sun I usually put a cheap cover over the good cover to take most of the UV damage and bird droppings. That said, it is hard to find a cheap cover large enough for the yammi. Right now I am using a green tarp that is cut and stitched with tywraps to fit close to the boat and wrap around the towers. Not ideal but works well. I just ordered a new mooring cover so I will likely repair the old one, coat it with thompsons water seal, and use it as the sacrificial cover. Cam.

I think this is what I'm going to do over the winter. My shipping cover is not in great shape anyway so I don't see using it for anything else going forward. I'd like to keep my "deluxe premium" (Japanese naming...) cover in good condition as long as possible.

Have you ever had mildew issues between the covers from doubling them?

I think this is what I'm going to do over the winter. My shipping cover is not in great shape anyway so I don't see using it for anything else going forward. I'd like to keep my "deluxe premium" (Japanese naming...) cover in good condition as long as possible.

Have you ever had mildew issues between the covers from doubling them?

I only doubled mine over the winter but I did not have any mildew issues.

Cool. I may try that and save the $100/month storage rental to pay for more mods.

I do the same thing. I find the Walmart 24X10 tarp (i think is the size) for $19 works great for a sacrificial cover, add a few bungee cords and its just the right size to keep out everything and keep airflow, with or without any other cover.

Back