• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

The New 212X is here! Hard Tanks, Connext, Stereo upgrade and more!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wonder if we will see a 212X e-series for 2018?

How about the wake tanks vs. bags. Surely the tanks would last longer.

D.
Pretty much everyone is switching away from hard tanks. Bags are so good these days, there is hardly a disadvantage, and those can fill the space way better with added flexibility.

--

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Pretty much everyone is switching away from hard tanks.
The last two boats I looked at (Malibu and Centurion) both still had hard tanks. Centurion (and others) have ramfill...which I doubt they'd want to do with bags....and they'd be dumb to ever move away from it! The only thing that MIGHT be better than ramfill would be "jetpumpfill"....and you'd want hard tanks to do that as well.

I talked with Yamaha about why didn't they make the 212X and "E-Series" boat or an option, and they wanted to keep the price down. This makes sense....if you want the top of the line....go for the 242X, a more moderate price...then 212X. But man I'd miss my E-series throttles and drive control....the latter being almost a necessity for a wake sports boat!

Darin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Interesting bags vs. hard tanks.

I am surprised e-series is not available on more version - especially on the 21'. Pretty much every new boat I looked at had electronic controlled throttle available, etc. I am still learning - but seems like a huge must want/have.

D.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I wished Yamaha would make a slightly taller boat with subfloor hard tanks and I like the "ramjet" filling idea! While we're at it add a hydrofoil we could drop down to pull the boat down even more when you wanted to help create more displacement in the water along with the ballast weight. Yamaha could also make something similar like the Wake Wedge or ASP on the Chaps to deal with the jet wash of a twin. Lots of things they could do to create a better surf/watersports platform. They would have to be very careful with their pricing though because they are already near the entry level wake boat price territory.

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

I am surprised e-series is not available on more version - especially on the 21'. Pretty much every new boat I looked at had electronic controlled throttle available, etc. I am still learning - but seems like a huge must want/have.

D.
I wouldn't even bother thinking about hard tanks. The hard tanks take up much more room than most people realize. In a Yamaha? even the shower tank in 242s is a drag on space.
The bags only take up room when full. When empty - take no space. And with quick disconnects in all new bags - it takes about 30seconds to pull all three of my 800lbs bags - out for storage when not needed.
if you service your own boat, the hard tanks would be a major PITA. Just make sure you get Flyhigh or straitline (sumo) bags, nearly indestructible.

I have not heard of anyone being successful surfing behind the X models with factory ballast only - it is vastly undersized as they need to comply with USCG regs for total weight, etc. but also slow and under powered which is a different story. Chaps and Scarabs are no different to be sure. I looked at those ballast systems pretty hard and my conclusion was that it makes A LOT more sense to implement from scratch, rather than piggyback off the factory system.

--

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
New vid is out

MMason

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Does the tower fold down? I saw a picture that showed a pin at the base of the tower.
Yes, pins release and has support cables to allow to hinge forward.

Jeff Jozwi

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length

D.
I know I'm resurrecting an old post...but did anyone figure how to remove the factory hard ballasts in the back and add sacks that connect to the factory fill pumps? I'm considering a 212x. I think it would be great to hide all necessary ballast. Thanks gang.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I know I'm resurrecting an old post...but did anyone figure how to remove the factory hard ballasts in the back and add sacks that connect to the factory fill pumps? I'm considering a 212x. I think it would be great to hide all necessary ballast. Thanks gang.
I've not seen any posts where someone did this.

geohil

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I played with Wakemakers for a bit about this. The limitation was not the removal of the hard tanks, the issue was Connext. You cannot lengthen the timers enough to use the system. If you wanted to bypass the Connext system and go with a standard Wakemakers pump timer you could do that. I just didn't want to go that far.
They already have the ability to make the bags. @bobbie uses them.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I played with Wakemakers for a bit about this. The limitation was not the removal of the hard tanks, the issue was Connext. You cannot lengthen the timers enough to use the system. If you wanted to bypass the Connext system and go with a standard Wakemakers pump timer you could do that. I just didn't want to go that far.
They already have the ability to make the bags. @bobbie uses them.
I was starting to look into this as well when the new swim deck custom bag became a reality through @jcyamaharider and from what I've read that custom bag with stock ballast is all you should really need. (Wake wedge as well is still a given).