• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Today and BoatUS say Props are Dangerous.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Actually that is paraphrasing of this article http://www.today.com/news/tubing-its-popular-fun-can-be-deadly-1D80070860 which mentions the dangers of props combined with tubing twice.

I am surprised that Yamaha does not specifically market the safety of their boats.

The article starts with "On Aug. 6, 16-year-old Emily Fedorko of Greenwich, Connecticut, fell off her tube as she and a friend were being towed by a motorized boat on Long Island Sound. When the boat, driven by another friend, 16, circled back to them, Emily was killed by the propeller of the boat's outboard motor. Her friend received a serious leg injury."

And includes this helpful tip near the end

"What boat operator Edmonston did next is just as critical: As soon as he came around and let Rossen grab the tow line, he turned off the boat's motor before pulling Rossen in. With the motor off, there is no chance of getting hit with the propeller. Only then is it safe to get near the boat."

Perhaps they should have said, buy a jet boat so your family will not be chewed up by props!

I'm very surprised also, as a new boater it was one of the things that really drew me towards the yamaha. They really didn't even sell it much in the sales pitch at the dealership either. That was a very sad and senseless death.

Reactions: Gym
That's why we went with a Yamaha...the safety factor. My wife used to be scared to death that our kids would accidentally kick the outdrive while swimming or jumping off the stern even with it off. Just it's presence was enough to get on her nerves.

We've always had jets for the safety factor alone.

But I make sure that my kids know the difference between the two. I always practice the same safety procedures of shutting down the engines while the kids get in and out of the boat. My fear is that if my kids got used to getting in and out of a jet boat while running ever went out with some of their friends on another prop boat, they might get too close to the props due to how they were trained. So right from the start, engines off before you enter, exit or approach a boat. Plus, the thrust of the jets could hurt too if they're too close to that as well.

I see people helping prop boats out of the hangout spot, sand bar, and the driver just starts up his engine without even checking that someone pushing him out is clear. I mean even prop-less I check behind before starting.

If the 2015's don't have a sticker showing the stick figure cutting their fingers and toes off in the articulating keel, I am going to hurt myself and sue.
Sadly the lawyers have probably made the sticker already.

If someone is in the water around me, my boat is off. Only exception to that is when I'm picking up or tossing a rope to a down skiier.

That's why we went with a Yamaha...the safety factor. My wife used to be scared to death that our kids would accidentally kick the outdrive while swimming or jumping off the stern even with it off. Just it's presence was enough to get on her nerves.

Its like a tow hitch....even out of the water they knock the crap out of the shins!

The safety aspect with these boats is a huge plus!

We've always had jets for the safety factor alone.

But I make sure that my kids know the difference between the two. I always practice the same safety procedures of shutting down the engines while the kids get in and out of the boat. My fear is that if my kids got used to getting in and out of a jet boat while running ever went out with some of their friends on another prop boat, they might get too close to the props due to how they were trained. So right from the start, engines off before you enter, exit or approach a boat.
You could have taken those exact words right out of my mouth :thumbsup:

We all enjoy the inherent safety of the jets, but lets not get complacent and don't let our kids become less cautious because of it. Kids need to be shown that the engine should be off before they get behind the boat - regardless of the propulsion method. Also jetboats can be more hazardous when ropes are nearby. We don't have a transmission to stop the driveshaft. If the engine is on, that shaft is turning and it can yank a rope so fast and hard to cause serious harm to anybody who may get entangled.

Last edited:
@Backwash needs to read this article. He damaged some ink on one of those old fashioned prop boats recently!

Back