• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trailer Brake Lock-Out Key Question/Issue...

There was a double pass of electrical tape wrapped around the front of the trailer holding it in. He said to leave it there. That was another aspect that made me question things... if it were meant to be kept in place most/all of the time, there'd have been something a bit more solid than electrical tape.
It was taped in all likelihood so they could use a fork lift or something similar to move it around the lot.

Trailers with surge brakes that do not have a round plug, have a 5 pin plug. The fifth pin is what locks out the brakes when backing up. So yes, a flat four would not do it. A flat five or round 7 is what is required for automatic lock out. Glad you figured that out.
But, if you flip the flat 4 over, and plug it in, then turn on your headlights, you will keep the brakes from engaging, should you need to do that.

You have a good group here to discuss and ask questions. What about all the people whom are new boat owners that, that guy is giving wrong information to? Could cause issues or an accident. Not cool.

But, if you flip the flat 4 over, and plug it in, then turn on your headlights, you will keep the brakes from engaging, should you need to do that.

Crafty!

Also, leave a zip tie wrapped around the tongue, and slide it forward to hold the key in place, should I need it.
I do the same ,I just slide the zip tie forward if need be

I'll also add, I'm willing to bet that you couldn't keep the lockout key "in at all times" without tape, adhesive or magnets

Either you were being hit with so much info that you misunderstood him, or he didn't follow up and ask if you were following what he was saying - if he thought that was accurate info, that would be something he should emphasize, as it relates to safely towing your boat. Whatever the case, he clearly dropped the ball on that item when explaining it.

I'm late to the party, but I got one of these if it helps anyone:

Sticks right on the side (painted trailer).
61XFFwKOywL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Cool trick, but you mean a flat 5 right? Trailers with surge brakes will have a flat five. (4+1) Flat four (3+1)

Back