• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trailer Tongue Scale

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Slide the boat back a couple few more inches?

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A few inches should do it. 400 would be a good target and drive it, it will feel like a different towing experience. Lol

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I would keep the tongue weight to 10 - 12%. A little extra tongue weight will not hurt anything, but not enough tongue weight can cause a catastrophic accident. Look around the internet at hitch/tow equipment manufacturers - 10% is usually the goal.

This video shows the issue:

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would keep the tongue weight to 10 - 12%. A little extra tongue weight will not hurt anything, but not enough tongue weight can cause a catastrophic accident. Look around the internet at hitch/tow equipment manufacturers - 10% is usually the goal.

This video shows the issue:
This topic has been beaten to death, and videos like that have been posted plenty. Shorlandr, the manufacturer of this trailer themselves clearly state that for their tandem axle trailers to set to 5 to 7%.
Why would you go beyond the recommendation of the manufacturer when its stated in black and white. And to boot the trailer tows much better when set right.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is right from their website

Screenshot_20200718-115754_Samsung Internet.jpg

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok i have set it to roughly 7-8%. It tows like a whole new trailer. Took it on freeway and everything.

Appreciate it

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
This topic has been beaten to death, and videos like that have been posted plenty. Shorlandr, the manufacturer of this trailer themselves clearly state that for their tandem axle trailers to set to 5 to 7%.
Why would you go beyond the recommendation of the manufacturer when its stated in black and white. And to boot the trailer tows much better when set right.
I would go with the 10% for the reasons I previously stated - a little extra tongue weight = no problem, too little tongue weight could cause a catastrophic accident with sway. With my boat the recommended tongue weight (@6%) is just over 200 lbs.; if I use 10% it is a little over 300 lbs. I would rather have an added margin to account for different loading of the boat (maybe it is not quite as snug), differing loads (fuel level in the boat, gear in or not in the boat) and etc. There is no sway control in the standard set up. For that reason, I would rather have an extra 100 lbs of margin; it would not take too many changes in the previously listed variables to change your tongue weight to something that is below a safe level.

Although I rarely tow my boat (kept at the marina in the dry stack - longest tow was 500 miles), I frequently tow my travel trailer. Using the proper tongue weight with a weight distributing hitch that has built in sway control makes for a highly stable tow.

Last edited:

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Boats and travel trailers run differently. Wind resistance, trailer length, many factors. Shoreland’r recommends 5-7%, that’s what I’ll run with. With my boat set up the way it is, with that tongue weight leveled with my truck I get 0 sway whatsoever. Strong crosswinds do not affect it. Passing semis, coming over bridges, this is the most stable trailer I’ve towed. I have over 5,000 miles towing this over the past 14 months or so, perfect tire wear. Rides and brakes perfectly. 10% tongue weight is how it came, and it really towed like crap. Too much squat in the truck, bouncy ride, trailer downhill meant less force on the rear (braking) axle. If it tows well run it.

Tatalover78

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
Second on the weigh safe hitch. Been using for years on 20+ ft enclosed snow trailer and boat. No issues. Checking tongue weight takes 1 min max.

dels

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Second on the weigh safe hitch. Been using for years on 20+ ft enclosed snow trailer and boat. No issues. Checking tongue weight takes 1 min max.
I just ordered one last night! Found a "used, like new" on Amazon and saved about $60 on it. Now to get the boat... only a few more... months :(

I learned a lot from this thread, thanks to everyone for sharing.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Ok i have set it to roughly 7-8%. It tows like a whole new trailer. Took it on freeway and everything.

Appreciate it
What was it before you set it to 7-8%?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
550lbs circa

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
12-13% I would think. That was a couple of years ago.